Ashlynn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn

Reaction Score
I love this kid. She reminds me so much of Faris, but with a smoother shot. She's always in the right spot on defense, which is so tough when you're a freshman. I actually could see her getting more time than CD by the end of the season.
She is better than Kelly. Ash is going to be one of our best players. Her Baskeball IQ is huge and she is relentless. Also she can make any shot any time. And you saw her moving without the ball and on defense.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Because speed was an issue, and Shade, for all her upside, isn't particularly quick, or at least doesn't appear to be.

The thing that I think about with Shade, KK and Q is that they are only going to improve. Think about it all three of them look dramatically better every game. As they get more comfortable with their defensive assignments and the speed and physicality of the college game, they're only going to be better. We need Azzi back, but the ability to have more minutes to give to these amazing freshmen is a bit of a silver lining to that dark cloud.
Shade is not slow. She as fast as Fudd and Caroline who were not playing defense well in that game.

Reaction Score
That left handed lay up on the right side of the basket she did looked easy but is not. Her calling for the ball when she's open as well. She's quicker than she looks and stronger than she looks. Reminds me so much of Kia Nurse and Kelly Faris

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shade is not slow. She as fast as Fudd and Caroline
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Because her dad is a personal trainer, I don't think any freshman has entered the program in better overall shape. This girl is solid, and the way she plays shows off her strength and savvy. She is smart, aggressive, is always moving on every play. She doesn't force shots but chooses the time to make a move. She is the kind of player that we will love going forward, and I hope Geno uses her more than he has so far. I am a fan of hers right now.
The entire freshman class, and I’m including Ice, is full of keepers.

Reaction Score
I'd say Ash had a heck of a game vs Maryland - 10 pts, a couple of rebounds, a steal, and no turnovers in 15 min on the court. I really like this kid and want to see more of her.
3 Uconn kids proved, last night: Basketball players play the GAME anywhere, against anyone. Miss Indiana--was all Indiana expected from her. KK--a balloon could not be higher on her. The kid plays for keeps. (as did Paige). Mickey Mouse eared Q--the world is watching because she is something to watch. Geno the king of WBB defense--proved it once again., No 42, DeBerry

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ashlynn has been dedicated to become a better player in more ways than just playing. She has one of the most dedicated fitness routines. Gave up the chance of winning the Indiana Miss Basketball player of the year in back to back years to get herself prepared for going to UConn.

Instead of staying at Noblesville she decided to go to a prep school in La Porte, IN to prepare herself for the next chapter in her life. She did it for two reasons, one to be on her own, away from family and friends so that she would be acclimated to living in a dorm and be prepared for that life she would have at UConn. The second reason was that she would play against many teams that would require the life of travel, hotel stays, and stiffer competition.

She said that it would help settle in at UConn and she would be able to concentrate on basketball more because she had gone through the living away from friends and family. To me that is dedication not only to herself, but to UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because her dad is a personal trainer, I don't think any freshman has entered the program in better overall shape. This girl is solid, and the way she plays shows off her strength and savvy. She is smart, aggressive, is always moving on every play. She doesn't force shots but chooses the time to make a move. She is the kind of player that we will love going forward, and I hope Geno uses her more than he has so far. I am a fan of hers right now.
Wow. I did not know that her father was personal trainer. Having that as option puts her ahead of the game greatly! You hit the nail on the head with her style of play. She is a aggressive but not a wild aggressive, if you know what I know. She plays with an awareness of her surroundings. I just loved her ball line defense last night. I know Coach G talks about defense but watching Ashlynn play last night. It was like I was back working a Tubby Smith basketball clinic.

I was just glad that she got some minutes out there and, like Coach G always says "Might me look like an idiot for not playing you more, when you get out on the floor." Ashlynn was under control on defense and offense. She was ball hawking. She knew where to be in certain spots of the floor. She cut with a purpose. She was a joy to watch. She is taking some minutes from somebody and that is what I love to see. These freshmen are going to push the "starters" and that is only going to make the "starters" better as well as the bench players and those bench players don't want minutes, a freshmen like Ashlyn will gladly scoop up more minutes out there.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
some here seem entranced by ms. shade

all right all right -- but don't you realize she's small ;)

well i suppose she's well-muscled ... and talented ... and is very energetic ... and has great basketball-savvy. :(

but she's small. or at least -- short. like jennifer, moriah, crystal, maria et.al

we need TALL kids. bigs. .. .we don't need no ashlynns at uconn! what's wrong with geno these days? :oops::):D

Reaction Score
She takes smart shots didn’t force anything and is not afraid to hustle. She will be beloved by all in short order as she makes up for size and athletic gifts with grit, tenacity and attitude
Great point! She is not as physically gifted, but her mentality is off the charts! It will be interesting to see how she performs against more athletic teams!

Reaction Score
That left handed lay up on the right side of the basket she did looked easy but is not. Her calling for the ball when she's open as well. She's quicker than she looks and stronger than she looks. Reminds me so much of Kia Nurse and Kelly Faris
I watched Shade in the HS championship game of Indiana two years ago. Noblesville HS. She just took over and won the game, And this was top grouping of public HS teams. Then, she switched schools and I lost track for her final year of play. But she does everything well. She actually played in the post for a while. and used a step-back jump shot to score points. No one could stop it. And the shot seemed to always be perfect. She is a terrific player.

Reaction Score
Very Happy for the Kid and YES, she played well! Please remember all these Positive comments when she starts the Freshman slump that almost all Freshman go through before we start asking what is she doing here.......
Good game young Lady!!!

Reaction Score
I love this kid. She reminds me so much of Faris, but with a smoother shot. She's always in the right spot on defense, which is so tough when you're a freshman. I actually could see her getting more time than CD by the end of the season.
can do everything Nika can do with better offensive skills. Hope to see more of her, this kid can ball.

Reaction Score
Because speed was an issue, and Shade, for all her upside, isn't particularly quick, or at least doesn't appear to be.

The thing that I think about with Shade, KK and Q is that they are only going to improve. Think about it all three of them look dramatically better every game. As they get more comfortable with their defensive assignments and the speed and physicality of the college game, they're only going to be better. We need Azzi back, but the ability to have more minutes to give to these amazing freshmen is a bit of a silver lining to that dark cloud.
Great post. Time to remind ourselves that these are basically high school kids with at most 3 D1 games under their belt. Where will they be a month from now? A year from now? They could be really good, the future of UConn WCBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom