Ashlynn Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Article

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ash played the most minutes of any Husky vs Creighton. Her defense is so advanced for a freshman and last night I noticed that she busts her butt to get down the court to stay with her man. Such a smart player, too, to keep going to the basket at the right time like that play where Ice saved the ball, knocking it to Paige who found Ash already running to the hoop. Heady play by all three of them.
At the end of the game when Geno patted Paige's shoulder with the towel on it, smiled and then moved on to Ashlynn who was sitting next to Paige and smile and just waived her off like "nope, not praising you despite you earning it" causing both Ash and Paige to laugh, I thought, Nan is definitley posting this brief vid. So I will take this comment as that homage.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
At the end of the game when Geno patted Paige's shoulder with the towel on it, smiled and then moved on to Ashlynn who was sitting next to Paige and smile and just waived her off like "nope, not praising you despite you earning it" causing both Ash and Paige to laugh, I thought, Nan is definitley posting this brief vid. So I will take this comment as that homage.
There’s a separate thread for it

Reaction Score
Ash played the most minutes of any Husky vs Creighton. Her defense is so advanced for a freshman and last night I noticed that she busts her butt to get down the court to stay with her man. Such a smart player, too, to keep going to the basket at the right time like that play where Ice saved the ball, knocking it to Paige who found Ash already running to the hoop. Heady play by all three of them.
Indiana was the baskeball state before Connecticut got popular with the women. Everything Ashlynn is fun and great basketball. One near average ball player from there--not as good as sidney moncreth--Some sort of bird.

Reaction Score
Ash is a very heady hoop player. She hedges on opponents bigs, and IMHO sees plays developing before they happen. Huge BB IQ.

One thing I like about Ash is that she learns from her mistakes. Early on, she'd be slow to react defensively to a switch, however in watching last night, there was improvement. It's not easy being a freshman for UConn. Somewhat related, and please don't thread drift, is that Q hasn't quite picked up these things all the time on defense. It will come.
You are right --the REALLY good ones (Paige) sees a motion and her brain sees the play--Ashlynn too. This class of Freshmen are a lovable as any earlier. That makes it near impossible to pick ONE---it's all or nothing for me.

Reaction Score
I just have one question regarding Shade. Based on what we have seen as to how good she is, how did she not get in the NC State game? Head scratcher....
I asked the same question many times during that game. It truly is a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
Every young hooper could learn a lot from just following Ash throughout the game; observing her attention to fundamentals, court awareness, box-out position, constant communication, shooting mechanics, cutting, screening, switching, help defense, positive energy, and team-first mindset. What a joy she must be to coach day in and out.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What I love about Ashlynn is that when she was a Junior in high school she was the best player in Indiana, led her team to the State Championship, and was named the IHSAA girls Miss Indiana, which is the states highest award for basketball. She was so dedicated to prepare herself for going to UConn she passed on the chance of winning another state championship with Noblesville and the chance to win back to back Miss Indiana by going to a private school away from family and friends.

To me that is dedication not only to herself but to UConn too. May she continue to grow into her role at UConn and help bring #12 to Storrs this year.

Reaction Score
Kelly Faris with a deadly shot.
Kelly Faris with multiple B12 shots. In addition to being a better shooter, she is faster, more intense, and as good a defender.

Reaction Score
The same respect Geno showed LOU. He knows when he's got a good one!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Call it BBIQ or whatever, I have never seen a freshman with the overall knowledge of how to play basketball at such a high level as Ash at this age, ever. Yeah, Napheesa was good her first year, but Ash could make a lot of veterans across the country blush by what she knows how to do.

Reaction Score
I am completely blown away by how she has adjusted and performed.
Remember, just a relatively small handful of months ago she was a high school kid. Now she's a starter on a big time, nationally ranked (maybe the best) D1 basketball team. Simply amazing. If I remember correctly, even DT had to wait longer to become a starter, and she's on the mountain.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Call it BBIQ or whatever, I have never seen a freshman with the overall knowledge of how to play basketball at such a high level as Ash at this age, ever. Yeah, Napheesa was good her first year, but Ash could make a lot of veterans across the country blush by what she knows how to do.
Poor Maya, forgotten already. This was her first ever collegiate game, an exhibition vs the US National Team…

STORRS, Conn. (November 2, 2007) - Three Huskies scored in double-figures, but it was not enough as the No. 2 University of Connecticut women’s basketball team fell to the USA National Team 90-74 to open the 2007-08 season on Friday evening in Gampel Pavilion. The loss snapped UConn’s exhibition game winning streak at nine games.

Junior Renee Montgomery (St. Albans, W. Va.) led UConn with 17 points and six assists, while freshman Maya Moore (Lawrenceville, Ga.) narrowly missed a double-double in her Husky debut, scoring 14 points and pulling down nine rebounds. Rounding out the double-digit scorers was senior Charde Houston (San Diego, Calif.), who chipped in 13. 

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I asked the same question many times during that game. It truly is a head scratcher.
If you look at the box score for the NC State game, you will have your answer.
Paige - 30 minutes - 27 points
Aaliyah - 33 minutes - 21 points
Azzi - 35 minutes
Nika - 33 minutes
Caroline - 14 minutes
Qadence - 23 minutes - 14 points
Aubrey played 13 minutes and KK played 12.

This was the second game of the season. Then the injuries start with Azzi and then Caroline.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Poor Maya, forgotten already. This was her first ever collegiate game, an exhibition vs the US National Team…

STORRS, Conn. (November 2, 2007) - Three Huskies scored in double-figures, but it was not enough as the No. 2 University of Connecticut women’s basketball team fell to the USA National Team 90-74 to open the 2007-08 season on Friday evening in Gampel Pavilion. The loss snapped UConn’s exhibition game winning streak at nine games.

Junior Renee Montgomery (St. Albans, W. Va.) led UConn with 17 points and six assists, while freshman Maya Moore (Lawrenceville, Ga.) narrowly missed a double-double in her Husky debut, scoring 14 points and pulling down nine rebounds. Rounding out the double-digit scorers was senior Charde Houston (San Diego, Calif.), who chipped in 13. 

That was "before my time."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom