Ashlynn Article | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Article

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ash played the most minutes of any Husky vs Creighton. Her defense is so advanced for a freshman and last night I noticed that she busts her butt to get down the court to stay with her man. Such a smart player, too, to keep going to the basket at the right time like that play where Ice saved the ball, knocking it to Paige who found Ash already running to the hoop. Heady play by all three of them.

Reaction Score
Ash played the most minutes of any Husky vs Creighton. Her defense is so advanced for a freshman and last night I noticed that she busts her butt to get down the court to stay with her man. Such a smart player, too, to keep going to the basket at the right time like that play where Ice saved the ball, knocking it to Paige who found Ash already running to the hoop. Heady play by all three of them.
Agree completely.
She has a great all-around game. Particularly suited to UCONN 's style and demand-level of play.
The whole team is so fun to watch.
Energy is contagious!

Reaction Score
Perhaps her confidence wasn’t as high at the time and Geno thought she’d be overwhelmed?
That thought doesn't exist any longer in Geno. Ashlynn has arrived ( thank God) and is now a starter for the rest of the season. Her stamina and natural ability can not sit on the bench. Her defense is outstanding and that will get better in the future. Asllynn is a head turner and I can't watch enough of her. GO ASHLYNN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Ashlynn also had the highest BPM for the game last night at +39. When she's on the floor, our offense runs smoothly. You can tell she is trying her best to be really good at every phase of the game. She switches well on defense and you can see her pointing out the switch to her teammates! She's a good FT shooter, and she reliably hits that pull-up jumper. And she is slowly but surely improving her 3-point game. I think it's her defense that shines brightest.

She's incredibly physical (in very good shape), but it's her intelligence that sets her apart during games. She also reminds me of that bygone era when we always said well into our late twenties "yes sir" and "yes mam" to adults . I don't know for sure, but Ashlynn seems like a really nice young adult. I do know for sure she's a damn good basketball player.

With respect to the Ashlynn no-show in the NC State game, I think the coaching staff made the right decision to not play her. Ash was developing her game slowly, and she just was not ready at that time for the NC State speed. Heck, if NC State had put their bench staff in that game, they would have blown by us. If we play them again in the big dance, they will quickly learn who Ashlynn shade is!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Before the season started, Nan and I said something to the effect, "don't be surprised if Shade gets more playing time early in the season than Arnold". Her basketball foundation is solid.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Ash is a very heady hoop player. She hedges on opponents bigs, and IMHO sees plays developing before they happen. Huge BB IQ.

One thing I like about Ash is that she learns from her mistakes. Early on, she'd be slow to react defensively to a switch, however in watching last night, there was improvement. It's not easy being a freshman for UConn. Somewhat related, and please don't thread drift, is that Q hasn't quite picked up these things all the time on defense. It will come.

Reaction Score
All the comments are spot on. Ashlynn is a rock. What talent and enthusiasm with a capital E. Am so annoyed I can't see her live, but clips and game replays will have to do for now. Keep it up Ash!

Reaction Score
Why is Ash so open during the entire game? Talk about moving without the ball. Ash had it ingrained (no more thinking--it's natural) that you only have two ways to move---you move to the basket or you move to the ball!! It makes it easy to learn. You have two choices. A Move to the basket moves many defenders and gives Ash a possible back door. A Move to the man is to help out and to get the possible pass to shoot. She does it CONSTANTLY. Maybe Paige moves as well, but no one else is close.

Reaction Score
That thought doesn't exist any longer in Geno. Ashlynn has arrived ( thank God) and is now a starter for the rest of the season. Her stamina and natural ability can not sit on the bench. Her defense is outstanding and that will get better in the future. Asllynn is a head turner and I can't watch enough of her. GO ASHLYNN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
Ash For President! :D

Reaction Score
Why is Ash so open during the entire game? Talk about moving without the ball. Ash had it ingrained (no more thinking--it's natural) that you only have two ways to move---you move to the basket or you move to the ball!! It makes it easy to learn. You have two choices. A Move to the basket moves many defenders and gives Ash a possible back door. A Move to the man is to help out and to get the possible pass to shoot. She does it CONSTANTLY. Maybe Paige moves as well, but no one else is close.
I am completely blown away by how she has adjusted and performed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Watching her live you can see her in the corner completely ready to receive a pass for a shot attempt. Her hands are open in front of her body anticipating the pass, with her feet already set to put the ball up. This kid is just solid. Love her.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Perhaps her confidence wasn’t as high at the time and Geno thought she’d be overwhelmed?
Yes, in interviews coach said that she was extremely critical of herself.

I think as she got in the games and begin to settle down, along with some good coaching. The cream rose to the top.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom