As NC State heads back to UConn for an actual road game, NCAA debacle could repeat | The Boneyard

As NC State heads back to UConn for an actual road game, NCAA debacle could repeat

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The whining continues!

"... that epic NCAA tournament double-overtime instant classic played on a “neutral” court in Bridgeport packed to the rafters with UConn fans even as N.C. State was the No. 1 seed."

“Last year made us all crazy. It just did,” N.C. State athletic director Boo Corrigan told The News & Observer."

“I said it last year. I’ll say it again this year. Those sites are set several years in advance,” (Chairperson) King told The N&O

Reaction Score
Yes, because never before in the history of the NCAA tournament has a higher seed played on the lower seed's actual or effective home court. If they don't like it, they should play well enough to be the overall one seed. :confused:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The whining continues!

"... that epic NCAA tournament double-overtime instant classic played on a “neutral” court in Bridgeport packed to the rafters with UConn fans even as N.C. State was the No. 1 seed."

“Last year made us all crazy. It just did,” N.C. State athletic director Boo Corrigan told The News & Observer."

“I said it last year. I’ll say it again this year. Those sites are set several years in advance,” (Chairperson) King told The N&O
I wonder what their excuse(s) will be on Monday.

Reaction Score
Last year someone researched it and found 32 instances over the years where higher seeds had a site advantage, covering several teams.

Funny how these P-5 teams complain that that is unfair and yet try bringing up the topic of sharing football revenue. They suddenly become mute.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Seems like NC State is conveniently forgetting that in 2019 they were the #3 seed in Greensboro and Baylor was #1. Did Baylor whine? Or did they come to North Carolina and take care of business? I was at that regional, and their lack of fan support was shocking. I swear I saw more Iowa fans than NC State fans.

And is it Bridgeport and UConn's fault that they only beat ND by three in the previous game?

NC State had the opportunity to take care of business early on and put themselves in a regional closer to home, and they didn't. They went to the next closest regional, which was Bridgeport. The program and the athletic department are doing themselves no favors by bringing this up at every available opportunity.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Last year someone researched it and found 32 instances over the years where higher seeds had a site advantage, covering several teams.

Funny how these P-5 teams complain that that is unfair and yet try bringing up the topic of sharing football revenue. They suddenly become mute.

I did a little research last season and posted this:
In 2019, Louisville was the #1 seed in Bridgeport. In the same regional, UConn was #2. Mississippi State was the #1 seed in Portland, with Oregon as #2. Baylor was the #1 seed in Greensboro with NC State at #3 and SC at #4.

In 2018, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Spokane. In the same regional, Oregon was #2.

In 2017, Note Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #4 seed.

In 2016, Notre Dame was the #1 seed in Lexington, KY (their closest regional), but they let Kentucky stay home as the #3 seed.

Then, going back to 2000 and just looking at UConn's seeding/parings...

In 2014, UConn was the #1 seed in Lincoln, NE. In the same regional, Nebraska was the #4 and Oklahoma was the #10. Same year, South Carolina was the #1 seed ON STANFORD'S HOME FLOOR with Stanford as the #2 seed.

In 2010, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Ohio State was the #2 seed.

In 2007, UConn was the #1 seed in Fresno, CA. In the same regional, Stanford was the #2 seed.

In 2003, UConn was the #1 seed in Dayton, OH. In the same regional, Purdue (~3 hours from Dayton) was the #2 seed. Same, year, LSU was the #1 seed on Stanford's home floor with Stanford as the #3 seed.

In 2000, UConn was the #1 seed in Richmond, VA. In the same regional, Duke (~2 from Richmond) was the #2 seed.

I know that the considerations that go into seeding and placement have evolved over the years, but putting a #1 seed in the backyard of a #2 (3... 4...) seed happens to more than just #1 seeds coming to the northeast. Money talks everywhere to the NCAA.
It's not as detailed as the post you're remembering, but it proves the point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Eh, fans love to have things to complain about, even when their complaints don't really hold water in any logical sense. Hanging out on the Boneyard has certainly shown me that.

To come so agonizingly close to a Final Four for the first time in decades was no doubt a bitter pill, one made all the more bitter by the game location. I'm inclined to cut them some slack and allow them their feelings.

But, as Tara once said, "you either have results or you have excuses." It's a new season. Both rosters have seen a fair amount of churn. For Wes and his team, a better mindset would be one that doesn't dwell on bygones.

However, I expect a close game. Wes has shown an uncanny ability to exceed expectations after losing stars to graduation.

Reaction Score
The whining continues!

I can only look forward to a UCONN victory when the Home Court / Home Court series goes
to North Carolina. A worthy opponent. As Geno says: Any time, Any place, Any team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Where the players whining, or just administrators, the media, and online fans?

The most interesting thing in the article was the discussion about Greenville's arena.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder what their excuse(s) will be on Monday.

I'm sure it will be covered on here if any excuses are made :rolleyes:

I hope they leave with a renewed bucket of whining.

The players? Or the Media? I'm pretty sure the players won't whine.. the media could whine about the arena food or the hotel accommodations but that remains to be seen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm sure it will be covered on here if any excuses are made :rolleyes:

The players? Or the Media? I'm pretty sure the players won't whine.. the media could whine about the arena food or the hotel accommodations but that remains to be seen.
Sometimes I’m not sure if you’re commiserating with us or making snide comments at us. Since you’re on the UConn-only side, I guess I’ll assume you’re commiserating?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
1668815018405.png

Reaction Score
only time I had a complaint about seeding and location was when UNC who was undoubtdeadly one of the top 2 teams in 2012, as a 1 seed had to play Kansas a 2 seed in Omaha. Was the biggest mularkey ever.

Reaction Score
The better team will always prevail, UConn was the better team that night (without Dorka, might I add).

Reaction Score
I can only look forward to a UCONN victory when the Home Court / Home Court series goes
to North Carolina. A worthy opponent. As Geno says: Any time, Any place, Any team.
I totally agree. That's Geno all the way! GO HUSKIES!!!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

"Fairness" - it's not for everybody

Reaction Score
And to top it off, UConn went on to defeat Stanford, higher ranked than NCState, only because they played in Connecticut. :oops: Oh, it was in Minneapolis? Never mind (delivered in my best Emily Litella voice).
Did you forget Minnesota is Paige Bueckers home court?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NC State can go do you-know-what in a hat. The UConn men had to play an Elite 8 game against a team that had it's campus only 12 miles away. They also had to play games against UNC in NC, Texas in Texas, Florida in Florida and UCLA in CA. Nobody cared. Pathetic babies. They are on my list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom