As much as I can't stand the Patriots, I.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As much as I can't stand the Patriots, I....

Reaction Score
How the heck do Cowboys fans become Cowboys fans when they are not in Texas?!?

That Matt Ryan fumble, isn't that technically an incomplete pass? His arm was going forward.

Reaction Score

That Matt Ryan fumble, isn't that technically an incomplete pass? His arm was attempting to try to go forward.

Fumble.

corrected it for you.

Reaction Score

When you grow up meeting and watching Calvin Hill play @ Yale as a youngster and he gets drafted by the Cowboys. All down hill from there...

Reaction Score
Fumble.

corrected it for you.
Even if he was attempting, it was going forward. What an insanely close game. Am a Patriots fan and just feel as if we capitalized on their mistakes, which is what happened. This wasn't all Brady. James White became the dependable back later in the game. Blount was sloppy. Falcons' OC gave us the game, kinda similar to the Seahawks' OC two years before.

Reaction Score
The ATL defense was exhausted, once the Pats won the coin toss in OT it was game-set-match. Poor game management by the ATL coaching staff and a tired defense/loss of momentum = unbelievable comeback.
Somehow, I think part of the time management is because of their center. Couldn't let him get hurt. It appears Mack's injury had a part in ultimately working against them. I was calling it a game by halftime, the beginning of the end of the Brady era. And the Patriots are already favorites to repeat.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Somehow, I think part of the time management is because of their center. Couldn't let him get hurt. It appears Mack's injury had a part in ultimately working against them. I was calling it a game by halftime, the beginning of the end of the Brady era. And the Patriots are already favorites to repeat.

Atlanta should be an even heavier favorite to return. They are so young, and keep most of the team.

Reaction Score
Atlanta should be an even heavier favorite to return. They are so young, and keep most of the team.
Psyche is huge in sports. Falcons' fans believe their team is cursed, while Panthers and Saints fans have a good laugh at them.

NFC South has a lot of fans and plenty of potential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Once the refs started to call all those secondary holds - that was a tide turner
All through the first half the folks I were with (mostly Giants fans) were amazed what the Falcons secondary was getting away with
give Brady an inch and he will make it a mile

Yes, that was a key. I think the Patriots even had about the same total yards in the first half. We Patriots fans were screaming at McDaniel for not going no huddle as they did the whole game against Pittsburgh. Atlanta's D couldn't handle it. The Patriots ended the game with big advantages in total yards (546 to 344), time of possession (40:31 to 23:27), total plays (93 to 46), first downs (37 to 17) and passing yards (442 to 240).

The three turnovers were obviously key. If not for the first two, I think the Patriots win the game comfortably. If not for the third, they couldn't have made the comeback.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

No, because Dallas is even younger and more talented. Both teams are going to be good. Oakland is a real threat to the Patriots next year, and would have been this year if Carr was healthy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

That Matt Ryan fumble, isn't that technically an incomplete pass? His arm was going forward.
1. The Tuck Rule was rescinded in 2013.
2. Hightower made contact with Ryan before his arm started going forward. Everything other part of his body was shifting forward except his arm, creating sort of an optical illusion in real time as seen from the press box.
3. The Falcons did not challenge the fumble because, by rule, turnovers and scoring plays are automatically reviewed. There was obviously not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

The replays have the best views of the fumble.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No, because Dallas is even younger and more talented. Both teams are going to be good. Oakland is a real threat to the Patriots next year, and would have been this year if Carr was healthy.

Hmm. Not so sure. That young Atlanta d will be pretty good next year. They get their best defensive backfield player back from injury. Ryan >dak. Julio >Dez. Sanu>greater than Dallas #2. Elliot v Freeman is a wash.

Atlantas division is worse than Dallas's.
Though, despite his superbowl fumble, losing Shanahan is a blow.

Patriots would have beaten Oakland handily this year imo. Next year, will probably depend on carrs development.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hmm. Not so sure. That young Atlanta d will be pretty good next year. They get their best defensive backfield player back from injury. Ryan >dak. Julio >Dez. Sanu>greater than Dallas #2. Elliot v Freeman is a wash.

Patriots would have beaten Oakland handily this year imo. Next year, will probably depend on carrs development.

I only said Atlanta wasn't a clear favorite because of Dallas. Those two are going to be strong. Shanahan is a big loss.

It's funny by the way, that people don't realize how young the Patriots are. That's a very young team, and they will get Gronk back. It's also looking like Cleveland will be willing to give them the #12 pick for Garrappolo.

Reaction Score
They replaced Shanahan with Alabama's drunken OC.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Dallas has a better o-line and defense. I think the difference will be whether Dak can step up his game in the playoffs.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Dallas has a better o-line and defense. I think the difference will be whether Dak can step up his game in the playoffs.
It wasn't Dak's fault they lost in the playoffs, he put them in position to win. Rodgers was just ridiculous in the end.

Reaction Score
They replaced Shanahan with Alabama's drunken OC.

That's a pretty impressive resume Sarkisian has put together in a short time, without having a big accomplishment* to propel him. He was hired by Alabama as a consultant in September, was named their OC for the national title game and now he's been hired by the defending NFC champs as their OC.

*I'm referring to professional accomplishments. If he has his personal issues under control, and I assume he does since Alabama and Atlanta hired him, that's a big accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Two sacks by the Pats in the 4th qtr were game-changers - Hightower's strip sack (Hightower ran right past Devonta Freeman who was looking the other way. It was 28-12 at that point with 8 1/2 minutes left - Atl had 3rd & 1 from their own 36. NE took over on the 25. This was probably the single biggest play of the game.)

The other was the sack by Flowers right after the Julio Jones catch with about 4m left. Was 2nd & 11 and the sack moved Atlanta from the Pats' 23 to the 35. Now it's 3rd & 23 and Atl gets called for holding, wiping away a completion to the 26 yd line that would have given Matt Bryant a shot at a 43 yd FG that would have made it a 2-score game. Instead they punt and the Pats drive down and tie it.

As great as Brady is (and he was great in this one when it counted), credit the Pats' D for stepping up 2nd half. Without those plays, they don't win that game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's funny by the way, that people don't realize how young the Patriots are. That's a very young team, and they will get Gronk back. It's also looking like Cleveland will be willing to give them the #12 pick for Garrappolo.

They are definitely young, but they've got a ton of key free agents. I mean, just look at this list:

Jabaal Sheard
Martellus Bennett
Malcolm Butler
Chris Long
Alan Branch
Donta Hightower
Brandon Bolden
LeGarrette Blount
James Develin
Logan Ryan
Duron Harmon
Michael Floyd
Barkevious Mingo
Greg Scruggs
Cameron Fleming
Justin Coleman
Brandon King
Michael Williams
Matt Lengel

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As great as Brady is (and he was great in this one when it counted), credit the Pats' D for stepping up 2nd half. Without those plays, they don't win that game.

People seem to forget, the Pats D actually did pretty well all game long. They held the top offense in the league, who averaged 33.8 ppg and came in red hot, to 21 pts. They held Atl scoreless while NE put up 31 unanswered. That's impressive.

Reaction Score
They are definitely young, but they've got a ton of key free agents. I mean, just look at this list:

Jabaal Sheard
Martellus Bennett
Malcolm Butler
Chris Long
Alan Branch
Donta Hightower
Brandon Bolden
LeGarrette Blount
James Develin
Logan Ryan
Duron Harmon
Michael Floyd
Barkevious Mingo
Greg Scruggs
Cameron Fleming
Justin Coleman
Brandon King
Michael Williams
Matt Lengel
They also have $65 million in salary cap space which is third most in the NFL behind the Browns and 49ers. So I trust they will sign what the players on that list that they consider to be of good value to them and pick up some free agents that fit the system. Jets and Cowboys are already over the cap for next year...ouch!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
As much as I don't like them, the Cowboys have structured some major contracts so they can play salary cap tricks and free up a ton of money. They can also trade Romo and free up another $5M.

I don't think the Jets were that smart.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
People seem to forget, the Pats D actually did pretty well all game long. They held the top offense in the league, who averaged 33.8 ppg and came in red hot, to 21 pts. They held Atl scoreless while NE put up 31 unanswered. That's impressive.

And 7 of those points came on a short field after Blount's fumble.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I put * by the guys they'd look to keep. I'd add Bennett but he's impossible. The rest are bit players of no real importance. Blount will resign on a friendly deal. So will Long as he loves playing here. Harmon is cheap. Butler, Branch, Hightower, Sheard are the guys that concern me.

Jabaal Sheard *
Martellus Bennett
Malcolm Butler *
Chris Long *
Alan Branch *
Donta Hightower *
Brandon Bolden
LeGarrette Blount *
James Develin
Logan Ryan *
Duron Harmon *
Michael Floyd
Barkevious Mingo
Greg Scruggs
Cameron Fleming *
Justin Coleman
Brandon King
Michael Williams
Matt Lengel

Husky25

Reaction Score
And 7 of those points came on a short field after Blount's fumble.
I just eatched the All Access version on NFL network this morning. IIRC, Blount fumbled on Atlanta's 29.

Reaction Score
You don't think they will suffer from hangover? That was a crushing defeat. Their DC and Dline Coach have already paid the price for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom