As college football's elite is engulfed in a power struggle, G5 left just trying to survive: 'We are a farm system'(Ross Dellenger @ Yahoo) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As college football's elite is engulfed in a power struggle, G5 left just trying to survive: 'We are a farm system'(Ross Dellenger @ Yahoo)

Reaction Score
The 4 team playoff is better than this

Time for the B1G and the SEC to break off and do their own thing.

What’s the point of a regular season if they are going to make the playoffs like a conf championship tournament.

Reaction Score
Time for the B1G and the SEC to break off and do their own thing.

What’s the point of a regular season if they are going to make the playoffs like a conf championship tournament.
It's so incredibly transparent that they want to guarantee only the SEC or B1G can win the title. It's like they want to justify a break off long-term when they can just do it now and save everyone the headache

Reaction Score
It's so incredibly transparent that they want to guarantee only the SEC or B1G can win the title. It's like they want to justify a break off long-term when they can just do it now and save everyone the headache
Why split off when they are going to get their way?

Reaction Score
M
Well unless UConn is in the 16-team field, I won’t be watching and I’ve been watching college football since Earl Campbell’s 1977 Texas team. I hope others stop watching too. What a joke, 1/2 the field from these two conferences.
A d only 1 G5 team guaranteed!

Reaction Score
Well unless UConn is in the 16-team field, I won’t be watching and I’ve been watching college football since Earl Campbell’s 1977 Texas team. I hope others stop watching too. What a joke, 1/2 the field from these two conferences.
They are going to miss you not watching when they count ratings. Most fans will still watch may be in fact more because for those generations behind us, its more about gambling and prop bets all game, than the actual game.

Reaction Score
To make as much money as possible
I will never contribute unless we get some too. I pay for cable and more, but if given a choice to pay for just B1G or SEC games? Never.

Reaction Score
it sounds like AT LEAST 1/2 the field will be B1G/SEC, but with the 3 at-large bids, it could be up to 11 teams from those 2 conferences in a given year. this is not right.

Reaction Score
Kids want to play. So unless the SEC is going to allow 40 players on the field at one time kids will transfer out. Sure it is better to be paid to sit than sit for free. But sitting sucks.

Reaction Score
They are going to miss you not watching when they count ratings. Most fans will still watch may be in fact more because for those generations behind us, its more about gambling and prop bets all game, than the actual game.

They aren’t going to miss me of course and I agree that most will still watch and that’s fine of course but man what a terrible outcome if you’re not a B10 or SEC fan.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

-> “I’m talking to people about what’s going to happen in college football,” Hall said. “We’re going to get parameters around NIL and run it through the school with revenue sharing. For 2-4 years, we are in this (NIL) business. We’ve got to embrace it or we get left behind. If you get left behind in this next change, it’s catastrophic. You might never come back from it.”

It’s a jarring comment from a sitting head coach but one that many within the sport feel is real.

“You’re heading to a model where there is a consolidation at the top and then a batch of others and then a group that is out,” said Toledo athletic director Bryan Blair. “We want to make sure we are in that second category. We want to be in that catch-all after that.” <-

The writer changed directions in that article about 3 times, so other than “the sky is falling”, I am not sure what point he is trying to make.

College football has become a joke with the participation trophy AQs for the SEC and Big 10. I would be fine with the G5 breaking off.

Reaction Score
The ACC should accept it if they can lock it in for 15 years. Then kick FSU to the curb. Everyone knows the P2 sit far above so don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. If the ACC is good enough they can shoot for the at-large bids. If they aren't good enough, nothing to complain about.

nurse bolik.gif

Reaction Score

SBJ: Baker sounds off on SEC-Big Ten partnership

-> As the Big Ten and SEC mull their collective futures, NCAA President Charlie Baker isn’t panicking. If anything, he’s optimistic the discussions can help bring resolutions to some of college sports’ biggest lingering issues.

“It's not the first time those conversations or issues [about leagues breaking away] have come up,” Baker said during a wide-ranging interview today. “I think it's incumbent on me to come up with a 'business model' that gives those kinds of schools and those kinds of conferences the latitude to be able to do some of the things that they would like to do.”

The “business model” Baker is referring to is his proposal from late last year that has since been dubbed “Project DI.” The document calls for the creation of a subdivision within D-I that schools could choose to opt into and would allow more direct payments to athletes. Among the key pieces in the proposal, Baker suggested schools should be able to create enhanced educational trust funds of at least $30,000 per year for at least half of an institution’s qualified athletes.

Baker has spent recent months gathering feedback from colleagues on the idea and noted on Friday, “My goal is to try to get something in front of the membership before summer.”

“We've got to figure out what [the future model] looks like, and that's been what the last couple of months has been about,” Baker said. “But I'm not living in a world where everybody's saying that the [Power Four] should be treated just like everybody else, because people get the fact that from an operations point of view, a scale point of view, they're not [the same]. I think that's directionally a good thing."<-

Reaction Score
It’s soooo broken:

-> Multiple Group of Five coaches tell Yahoo Sports that Power Five programs, having hit their NCAA-mandated 85 scholarship limit, are adding players as “walk-ons” with collectives footing the bill for a scholarship through NIL. The NCAA permits at least 30 walk-ons.

One Power Five collective director, in fact, acknowledged this trend, telling Yahoo Sports that they often “layer on top” an extra $50-60,000 to cover a walk-on’s tuition, books and fees.

“They’ve got to make up what a scholarship covers. I get it. It’s smart,” Chadwell said. “But the NCAA needs to create a rule requiring players to sit out a year if they are not on full academic scholarship.” <-
I believe the term is FUBAR. But you may have to be of a certain age to understand. But it truly is Fukk'd Up Beyond All Recognition

Reaction Score
Sport is so unhealthy. They shouldn’t determine playoffs by attendance. That is all anyone cares about, how big a fanbase you have.

Took, probably, the best sport in all of American sports and they ruined it.

Imagine if nfl ran like this? Cowboys and Giants are in the playoffs every years because of fanbase size.

Reaction Score
Be prepared for a crappier NFL product. More bad defense, penalties and injuries. it will be like when hs kids left for nba and quality of play in ncaa took a while to adjust
I think NIL is good for college hoops product. Edey returns, players are coming back. I think that’s a good thing.

One of problems with college hoops is the 1 and done. Unless you had a shooting star like Zion, no one remembers that player. There is never gonna be a Caitlin Clark type player in college basketball anymore.

Reaction Score

-> In the past structure, the five major conferences mostly split evenly 80% of the CFP’s $460 million in revenue.

In a proposal socialized with administrators this week, the Big Ten and SEC would combine to earn about 58% of the CFP’s base distribution — a figure that will certainly grow in participation distribution as their individual schools earn more revenue for qualifying and advancing through the playoffs. The figure would greatly exceed the ACC and Big 12’s combined distribution number, which is expected to be around 31%. The remaining amount (roughly 10%) will be distributed to Notre Dame and the 64 Group of Five teams.

The difference in distribution between the two sets of conferences — SEC/Big Ten and ACC/Big 12 — will likely exceed $300 million a year. The Power Two will earn around a combined $760 million versus around $440 million for the ACC and Big 12. Roughly $115 million is slotted for the Group of Five.<-

-> No school’s revenue will decrease as the CFP is expected to distribute about $1.3 billion annually in a new television contract with ESPN, or three times the amount of its past deal in the four-team version. The participation distribution is only expected to account for $100 million of the overall distribution amount. Teams will earn between $3-5 million each for participation and advancing in the playoff.

Considering the distribution percentages, SEC teams will earn as much as $23 million annually, Big Ten $21 million, ACC around $13.7 million and Big 12 around $12.5 million. Group of Five teams are expected to earn a figure just south of $2 million. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom