As Big East Money Dries Up, UConn Must Create Fresh Revenue Streams (M. Anthony) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

As Big East Money Dries Up, UConn Must Create Fresh Revenue Streams (M. Anthony)

Reaction Score
It makes want to cry to admit that a loser program like Temple is ahead of us.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the B10 considers UConn a P5 opponent, even though we're not in a P5 conference. That doesn't necessarily mean any of them will schedule a home-and-home series with us going forward, but at least they don't get trashed by their own conference for scheduling us as a perceived cupcake.
I know, but as the gulf in revenue widens, the likes of Illinois and Indiana will be able to afford paying us to go there and scheduling an extra home game and come out with a net positive financially.

Look i hope to hell I'm wrong, but all signs are pointing to the worst case possible scenario post Louisville to the ACC. Networks/cable are losing subs, so no more money for expanding p5 leagues and those already in growing revenue while those outside dealing with "getting creative", by changing the venue of a home game, playing guarantee games. That is in no way a knock on Benedict. It's our " new economic reality", and on top of that, they have to get people to care about games against teams they generally wouldn't care about ever watching. We are in a tough spot. I hope we have an enjoyable product this fall.

Reaction Score
I'd love to build a football rivalry with Temple but they are wayyyyy ahead of us at this moment.

It makes the most sense geographically.

New coach/staff, new QB, new RB, key losses on D - they could take a step back this year.

Reaction Score

New coach/staff, new QB, new RB, key losses on D - they could take a step back this year.

Aren't we still pushing for a rivalry with BC as our top option? I don't care about Temple at all.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Totally agree and in order for us to move ahead and have a good up cycle we need someone to take our place at the bottom of the conference and it might as well be them. We need some mediocrity to set in at some of these AAC schools like Houston, Tulsa, USF, etc.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well I would hope Rolling Rock would man up. They've gotten enough free advertising here to last a lifetime.

Sadly, Rolling Rock has become just another brand name of the colossus known as Budweiser, now owned by foreign, nameless, soulless corporate entities.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sadly, Rolling Rock has become just another brand name of the colossus known as Budweiser, now owned by foreign, nameless, soulless corporate entities.
I missed this passage when I read Catcher in the Rye.

Reaction Score
Conference...

JMO but for whatever time period Uconn is in The AAC, Temple seems like the most sensible candidate for a rivalry.

Shared geography, similar program profiles, and recruiting for many of the same players in both football and basketball could all drive a pretty good rivalry. That said it needs to be organic and happen naturally. Nobody wants a contrived rivalry like The ConFLiCT to be forced on them. It also needs to be shared by both fan bases.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
JMO but for whatever time period UConn is in The AAC, Temple seems like the most sensible candidate for a rivalry.

Shared geography, similar program profiles, and recruiting for many of the same players in both football and basketball could all drive a pretty good rivalry. That said it needs to be organic and happen naturally. Nobody wants a contrived rivalry like The ConFLiCT to be forced on them. It also needs to be shared by both fan bases.

The problem with a Temple - UConn rivalry is their fans just aren't anywhere near as unlikable as BS College or Syrexcuse fans. I'd include Rutgers fans, but RutgersAl is so entertaining that he sort of gives their entire fanbase a free pass. The only emotions I can muster up for the Rutger's fanbase are sorrow and pity.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Stick it to those foreigners and enjoy a delicious American Made Yuengling Lager. The pride of Pottsville, PA.
#MakeAmericaDrunkAgain
Yuengling was a major disappointment when it finally was distributed in CT. Very odd flavor profile.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The problem with a Temple - UConn rivalry is their fans just aren't anywhere near as unlikable as BS College or Syrexcuse fans. I'd include Rutgers fans, but RutgersAl is so entertaining that he sort of gives their entire fanbase a free pass. The only emotions I can muster up for the Rutger's fanbase are sorrow and pity.

I dunno man, my ex gf went to Temple...the students have rocks for brains, and I was at the Temple game a couple years ago and the fans were pretty annoying--there just aren't many of em

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yuengling was a major disappointment when it finally was distributed in CT. Very odd flavor profile.
When I lived in Philly I loved Yuengling. I came up to Boston and we finally had distribution a year or two ago. Had my first after 10+ years and said "meh" and never bought another. The only thing I can think of is that I spent all of college drinking Nattie Light and headed to Philly as soon as I graduated.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I dunno man, my ex gf went to Temple...the students have rocks for brains, and I was at the Temple game a couple years ago and the fans were pretty annoying--there just aren't many of em
Was that the same girl that came on here and bashed you one day?

Reaction Score
Eliminate donations -- or make them less -- and you'll see season tickets go back up

This!! I'd buy 4/5 tickets at 200/225 each.. I will not at 300/325 each. I could buy two tickets at that price, but I'd rather be able to go with my nephews and sister or brother in law, or a couple friends over the course of the season. Not just 1 other person. And then the seats with the $400 donation charge?? Sorry, off. That's 676 per ticket / 5 games for 135 bucks a game. Sorry, nobody on that schedule is worth 135 bucks a game. Mizzou would be fun to see, but I paid 70 for the Michigan game a couple years ago. 135 for Holy Cross? The athletic department should co-op with the economics dept and students and re-visit price elasticity.

Reaction Score
This!! I'd buy 4/5 tickets at 200/225 each.. I will not at 300/325 each. I could buy two tickets at that price, but I'd rather be able to go with my nephews and sister or brother in law, or a couple friends over the course of the season. Not just 1 other person. And then the seats with the $400 donation charge?? Sorry, off. That's 676 per ticket / 5 games for 135 bucks a game. Sorry, nobody on that schedule is worth 135 bucks a game. Mizzou would be fun to see, but I paid 70 for the Michigan game a couple years ago. 135 for Holy Cross? The athletic department should co-op with the economics dept and students and re-visit price elasticity.

This pretty much sums it up. There's no one worth going out to see at the rent. I would have paid to see BC but not driving up to Boston for it.

Reaction Score

There are 6 home games @ the Rent this year and there are plenty of decent seats available that have NO seat license fee for $150 for the season. ($25 per game).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are 6 home games @ the Rent this year and there are plenty of decent seats available that have NO seat license fee for $150 for the season. ($25 per game).

And probably $120 once the Top of the Rent goes on sale.

Our 'fanbase' is awesome. Patting each other on the back about staying home while complaining about the schedule as if the two aren't related.

Don't spend any money on them and don't show up - I'm sure the college football fairy will just put UConn in the Big 10 to remedy all their complaints.

I look forward to the complaints about the AAC tourney being 1,500 miles away while ignoring that nobody could be bothered to show up when it was here.

Reaction Score
I agree they need to rethink the donation for both football and basketball while they rebuild both programs. I donate to UConn and to the athletic program but to the sport I competed in and to hockey (long story but I have been pushing for Hockey East for decades). You want Corporate donations, sure. But to get back regular fans, the donation ought to be reduced to $25-100.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you can afford season tickets with the highest donations and the sky boxes or the chair backs, great. If you can't, how about the lower donations and the bleachers? If you can't afford that, how about the sections that don't have a donation attached? If you can't do that, how about a 3-game pack like I always did? And if not the 3-game pack, how about showing up once?

I've been one of the more critical voices about the price of the tickets on the Boneyard. And I still feel that things can and should be done about the cost structure. But I get the feeling that the people in this thread complaining about the highest ticket prices are folks who don't even buy the lowest priced ones either...

Reaction Score

You're right Medic, I think I missed the ECU game and thought it was away.. 112 a pop then. Yes, there are tix for 150, but why spend that money to sit behind the endzone when you can most likely wind up with seats on the 30 for only a few bucks more going on the secondary market? The donation fee to me is just a slap in the face. Ah, I'm gonna buy 4 tickets at 250, I can swing a 1,000. What? $150 for ticket fees? What? $400 in donation charges? Why does this cost 50% more all of a sudden??? This is a turn off to a alot of potential fans. If you want to charge 300/250/150 per ticket etc etc.. just say the price upfront. If a key metric schools use is to look at season ticket sales and your specific team's have been trending down, something needs to be done to entice fans on the fence to make the jump. If you are trying to attract new blood to the stadium, maybe get some alumni with their spouse and kids to join, or new alum with their group of friends, a donation fee on top of the advertised price is not the way to do it.

Reaction Score
You're right Medic, I think I missed the ECU game and thought it was away.. 112 a pop then. Yes, there are tix for 150, but why spend that money to sit behind the endzone when you can most likely wind up with seats on the 30 for only a few bucks more going on the secondary market? The donation fee to me is just a slap in the face. Ah, I'm gonna buy 4 tickets at 250, I can swing a 1,000. What? $150 for ticket fees? What? $400 in donation charges? Why does this cost 50% more all of a sudden??? This is a turn off to a alot of potential fans. If you want to charge 300/250/150 per ticket etc etc.. just say the price upfront. If a key metric schools use is to look at season ticket sales and your specific team's have been trending down, something needs to be done to entice fans on the fence to make the jump. If you are trying to attract new blood to the stadium, maybe get some alumni with their spouse and kids to join, or new alum with their group of friends, a donation fee on top of the advertised price is not the way to do it.
Perhaps we can get Aetna to make a large donation .... or not! The state of CT doesn't know how to budget. They mishandled our only Pro-team the "Whalers", mismanaged the minor league ball field in Hartford and almost squandered the prestige of that minor league team. What in state model should UConn use? When was the last time the rock band you followed was willing to come to a venue in CT on a weekend? People are leaving our state and the mass exodus is picking up major steam. I have 5 foreclosed houses in my one area. I truly wish UConn well, but those that can and want to go to a game shouldn't be looking for bargains. This state is fresh out! Go to the game make your memories and enjoy the company your with. What else is there to buy? I go to the games because I live here and just want the escape. Weekday games are non-starters with two little kids and with a Commute from lower Fairfield - Wilton is not practical. I suppose I could whine and complain but what's the point nothing is going to change and so I wait to trek up to the Rent on Friday nights and Saturdays. I'll always cheer my team and not focus on the cost. If it comes to that I'll simply no longer go, until then UConn is the best game in town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom