As Big East Money Dries Up, UConn Must Create Fresh Revenue Streams (M. Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Big East Money Dries Up, UConn Must Create Fresh Revenue Streams (M. Anthony)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A handful of years of football success after building on a BCS bowl birth

I think we would have been finishing in the top 25 every one of those years to change the ACC's decision for Louisville and that would not have happened had Edsall stayed.

Reaction Score
This is not rocket science. Here's the problems:

Problems:

1. Our conference situation is a god-awful mess, has destroyed our historical and regional rivals. This severs many of the emotional ties of fans to our history. It also totally screws our revenue situation. All of this depresses fan engagement and turnout
2. Our basketball team has been bad for 3 years. This depresses turnout
3. Our football team has been... lets just be nice and saw bad... since 2011. This depresses turnout
4. Basketball is forced to play in 2-3 home venues per year, each with major problems - Gampel is in a terrible, no good, awful location. XL center is located in probably one of the worst cities in terms of atmosphere and "stuff to do" in the country. Oh and no one lives there. People who buy season tickets do it for the routine, the constancy, the fun of it. This depresses turnout, and connectivity.

Here's the solutions;

1. We cant really fix this. 10 years of mismanagement and constantly not undersatnding the problem and the sand shifting under our feet has left us high and dry. Although I am actually starting to think moving to the Big East is a feasible solution to at least shore up MBB as Football figures its way forward, restore some of those rivalries, etc.

2. The basketball team needs to be better. Winning solves a lot.

3. The football team needs to be better. Winning solves a lot.

4. Hartford is dying. Period. This is not going to get political, but with the departures of GE(fairfield) and freaking Aetna(Hartford), we are really feeling the unforgivable 50 year lack of investment and proper policy to build up our metro areas. This filters down and is related to why we have massive problems in XL. I think, honestly, we need to have all our games in Gampel. Maybe the University sponsors pre-game party buses from hartford/New London/Middletown/Waterbury/Fairfield to figure out the driving situation to storrs or something, but we need to have all our games in Gampel unless they are big-time, no brainer sellouts. Period.
Been saying this forever! Civic Center for basketball games needs to be for a Syracuse Villanova UNC Duke type of game. Playing New Hampshire there does nothing.

And we need to win basketball and football games. A friend of mine who came here from Atlanta says the motto of CT sports fans is "we re with you win or win." Basketball needs to be Gonzaga if we are in this league. And get some swagger back. Football needs to be competing with the Houstons and USFs for attention. And needs a rival nearby that we play every year at the end of the year. Temple makes too much sense as does BC so it kind of looks like the league has settled on Cincy. Ok but don't decide next year to end it with Navy. Make it a regular thing.

Reaction Score
logic behind this thinking?

Pasquualoni, Diaco, if Edsall had stayed after he BCS game, we would have gotten the nod over Pitt and maybe Louisville.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pasquualoni, Diaco, if Edsall had stayed after he BCS game, we would have gotten the nod over Pitt and maybe Louisville.

Yes, we might have, perhaps should have, beaten out Louisville if we played top 25 football those years and Louisville did not. I think if Louisville played like they did, even if we also played top 25 BC would have had the votes to keep us out.

Reaction Score
Yes, we might have, perhaps should have, beaten out Louisville if we played top 25 football those years and Louisville did not. I think if Louisville played like they did, even if we also played top 25 BC would have had the votes to keep us out.

BC doesn't have that much clout

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If we were the better football program, we would have gotten in instead of Louisville. That wouldn't have mattered when Pitt got our slot.

Some of the problem with CR is the criteria is a moving target. It is geography, unless it's not ('ville to ACC.) Football, unless it's not (Rutgers to the Big 10.) Markets unless it's not (no one to the Big 12.)

If you are on the inside looking out, you are quite sure that it is a distinct fair market selection which confirms your inherent superiority over the G5 programs. If you are on the outside looking in, it seems like largely random events have determine who the winners and losers of college sports will be.

The one ray of hope in that for UConn fans is that we have no idea what will drive the change. That's a ray of hope because under the current situation, we aren't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
FWIW - Aetna moved their HQ on paper they didn't leave Hartford.
The equivalent of opening a post office box in Switzerland. Fwiw New York personal and business taxes are much higher than Connecticut.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My point is I think Uconn not only needed to have top 25 football to beat out Louisville, it also needed Louisville to be less successful on the field. Better football alone wouldn't have done it, unless pared with lesser football from Louisville. Now, is it realistic to think Edsall would have delivered top 25 football? I don't. I think a reasonable goal is to be team that flirts with top 25 somewhere in the season, but finishes top 40.

And I don't think the future of CRA is anymore complicated than revenue math. The schools that move next in CRA will have to bring revenue or it just won't work.

Reaction Score
We need to win. Period. In all sports. Nothing else matters.
Well, we can't cheat, but otherwise I agree with you full stop. From Little League to the pros, winning solves everything unless you cheat.

Reaction Score
Well, we can't cheat, but otherwise I agree with you full stop. From Little League to the pros, winning solves everything unless you cheat.
Cheating worked out for Louisville quite well. For us though, their level of cheating would bring the death penalty.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
People have less money to spend as the economy in Connecticut has fallen behind neighboring states and the product on the field has been terrible. The combination of the two is why attendance is down from football to basketball to other nonrevenue sports.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
FWIW - Aetna moved their HQ on paper they didn't leave Hartford.

Not to be political, but the taxes they pay are first to NYC and what's leftover goes to Connecticut. So yes we are losing tax dollars with the headquarters moving. Cities can tax them on equipment as they always have, but the state loses out on revenue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not to be political, but the taxes they pay are first to NYC and what's leftover goes to Connecticut. So yes we are losing tax dollars with the headquarters moving. Cities can tax them on equipment as they always have, but the state loses out on revenue.

No kidding but what does that have to do with UConn's attendance?

There is no shortage of people with money to attend. People just don't want to at any price. Effectively it was zero for tickets to football games for a few seasons. No demand at that price.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should obsess with BC. They are a well established program in a huge TV market. The Stanford of the East in many respects, meaning that they are not going to win their league or make the playoffs, but they have their cachet.

We need to win the AAC and hope that the CFP expands to 8 teams and we get an invite.

Reaction Score
My point is I think UConn not only needed to have top 25 football to beat out Louisville, it also needed Louisville to be less successful on the field. Better football alone wouldn't have done it, unless pared with lesser football from Louisville. Now, is it realistic to think Edsall would have delivered top 25 football? I don't. I think a reasonable goal is to be team that flirts with top 25 somewhere in the season, but finishes top 40.

And I don't think the future of CRA is anymore complicated than revenue math. The schools that move next in CRA will have to bring revenue or it just won't work.

I think you're putting too much emphasis in top 25.

Reaction Score
Aetna is moving 120 Sr. exec's. Thousands are staying behind. The CEO wanted to be in NYC. But not just in NYC but in the same neighborhood as Apple, Google, etc. Midtown wouldn't do. Good article in the Courant or JI today.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should obsess with BC. They are a well established program in a huge TV market. The Stanford of the East in many respects, meaning that they are not going to win their league or make the playoffs, but they have their cachet.

We need to win the AAC and hope that the CFP expands to 8 teams and we get an invite.
If BC is the Stanford of the East, then so is Tulane in the south. And Stanford does win their league and play in big bowls and ncaa tournaments which is nothing like BC at all.

I do agree we have to forget about the p5, it isn't happening no time soon. Try and pack the place but I'm doubtful they'll have any luck. Aside from Temple, USF, and Cincinatti, there are no league games to get amped for. Now, that we've acknowledged were going the Mac school route and playing guarantee games, we will likely start seeing less p5 schools come here in the future.

I know we have some scheduled, but I'm not feeling optimistic about where we are at all, especially with what's happening in mens basketball.

We are in a major downtrend at the moment.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If BC is the Stanford of the East, then so is Tulane in the south. And Stanford does win their league and play in big bowls and ncaa tournaments which is nothing like BC at all.

I do agree we have to forget about the p5, it isn't happening no time soon. Try and pack the place but I'm doubtful they'll have any luck. Aside from Temple, USF, and Cincinatti, there are no league games to get amped for. Now, that we've acknowledged were going the Mac school route and playing guarantee games, we will likely start seeing less p5 schools come here in the future.

I know we have some scheduled, but I'm not feeling optimistic about where we are at all, especially with what's happening in mens basketball.

I just mentioned in another thread that he's a BC troll. Don't even waste your typing, my friend. Just let him fade away...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

FWIW, the B10 considers UConn a P5 opponent, even though we're not in a P5 conference. That doesn't necessarily mean any of them will schedule a home-and-home series with us going forward, but at least they don't get trashed by their own conference for scheduling us as a perceived cupcake.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Been saying this forever! Civic Center for basketball games needs to be for a Syracuse Villanova UNC Duke type of game. Playing New Hampshire there does nothing.

And we need to win basketball and football games. A friend of mine who came here from Atlanta says the motto of CT sports fans is "we re with you win or win." Basketball needs to be Gonzaga if we are in this league. And get some swagger back. Football needs to be competing with the Houstons and USFs for attention. And needs a rival nearby that we play every year at the end of the year. Temple makes too much sense as does BC so it kind of looks like the league has settled on Cincy. Ok but don't decide next year to end it with Navy. Make it a regular thing.
If I recall, Navy already has an annual rivalry game... As with any other AAC west team we will play them 2 yrs on and 2 yrs off. I'd love to build a football rivalry with Temple but they are wayyyyy ahead of us at this moment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom