Artificial Christmas trees? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Artificial Christmas trees?

Reaction Score
I have had a fake tree for a long time. My kids never had a real tree, so last year we went to a tree farm and picked out and cut one down. I wanted them to have the experience I had every year when I was a kid. Tree prices are nuts this year. $75-80 for a 7 footer at Home Depot, Stew Leonard's etc. The fake tree is coming out of the storage bag this weekend....

Reaction Score
Grow and Stow trees are the way to go. We leave home for a couple weeks at Thanksgiving, so I’ve started putting up the tree the first few days of November so we can enjoy it the minute we return.

I go to the garage, get the tree, and put it up in under 4 minutes. On top of that, it’s a nice looking tree. They are pricey, but Sam’s Club has a 9’ one for $469 right now. Other sites have them starting at $1000.

Reaction Score
If you're gonna go fake you might as well go the distance

Festivus_Pole.jpg

Reaction Score
I’ve always gotten lives trees, but with grown kids I’m thinking about the convenience of getting an artificial tree. I started to look online but there’s just a ton of information, so I figured I would tap into the boneyard braintrust.

A few years ago we “inherited” my in-laws tree when they upgraded. In my opinion it’s heinous looking, but I guess it’s nostalgic for my wife. Too fake for my taste though, but it’s probably from the 70s.

So does anyone have a pre-lit tree that they like? I’m thinking spruce because they tend to look a little more natural, pre-lit, and 7 1/2 feet.

I know I want the mold and needles and a fuller more natural shape. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Any brands that people particularly like?

What’s the budget for it to get a decent one. I see that the prices range from a ridiculous hundred dollars to thousands of dollars.
Douglas Fir

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve always gotten lives trees, but with grown kids I’m thinking about the convenience of getting an artificial tree. I started to look online but there’s just a ton of information, so I figured I would tap into the boneyard braintrust.

A few years ago we “inherited” my in-laws tree when they upgraded. In my opinion it’s heinous looking, but I guess it’s nostalgic for my wife. Too fake for my taste though, but it’s probably from the 70s.

So does anyone have a pre-lit tree that they like? I’m thinking spruce because they tend to look a little more natural, pre-lit, and 7 1/2 feet.

I know I want the mold and needles and a fuller more natural shape. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Any brands that people particularly like?

What’s the budget for it to get a decent one. I see that the prices range from a ridiculous hundred dollars to thousands of dollars.

Many of them suck. You really do have to spend for a good one with soft needles. I'm a Frasier Fir fan with live trees so found one similar. My personal suggestion, get one without integrated lights. If that strand fails, you need to rip it all out. And it will fail. Ours might be a Balsam Hill. I think we bought it on sale after the season. So perhaps an option to buy a live tree, and then buy an artificial one in January. Balsam Hill has a cyber week sale right now. Artificial Christmas Trees, Christmas Ornaments & Home Decor| Balsam Hill

We put up two trees. One live, one artificial.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Many of them suck. You really do have to spend for a good one with soft needles. I'm a Frasier Fir fan with live trees so found one similar. My personal suggestion, get one without integrated lights. If that strand fails, you need to rip it all out. And it will fail. Ours might be a Balsam Hill. I think we bought it on sale after the season. So perhaps an option to buy a live tree, and then buy an artificial one in January. Balsam Hill has a cyber week sale right now. Artificial Christmas Trees, Christmas Ornaments & Home Decor| Balsam Hill

We put up two trees. One live, one artificial.
We’ve done that to for years. This year I’m just thinking about going completely artificial. My thought process is that if I hate it or miss a natural tree I’ll swap out the new artificial for the old one.

I hear the logic of not getting a light set integrated into the tree, but the convenience of it is calling to me. Some sets of lights are so subtle and have no string with them that when they fail I can just put lights around the tree. That’s the way I’m leaning right now.

I have three current contenders. Two are at Balsam Hill and one is that Home Depot tree that @Kathy mentioned which compares favorably to them. I’d say it has a slight lead. It also has the benefit of me being able to physically take a look at it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. It’s much appreciated.

Reaction Score
We always get a real tree. Love the scent it gives the house.

And I like the idea that every Christmas is different.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We switched a number of years ago. Before we reached that decision started finding all kinds of them at Yard Sales and Estate Sales where along with ornaments they are ridiculously cheap. Weren't really looking for them but many if not most estate sales have them. We now have a collection of them in all sizes (LOL) and my wife sticks them all over the house along with "villages" and Nativity sets. She doesn't like winter and this is one of her ways of bringing joy to it. I don't mind but my joy is college hoops in the Winter and I plan on really enjoying it this year now that Uconn is coming on strong and we have the Big East as our conference!

Reaction Score
We just bought a fake 7.5 foot one from Lowe's. I've never in my life had a real one and although they look great, I feel like I always hear people constantly complaining about them, the upkeep, and the needle aftermath. The one we got is pre-lit but it looks really good compared to our old fake one which was terrible. We do not keep it lit all the time and tend to take it down shortly after Christmas so hopefully we'll get a little more usage out of the lights.

CL82

Reaction Score
We just bought a fake 7.5 foot one from Lowe's. I've never in my life had a real one and although they look great, I feel like I always hear people constantly complaining about them, the upkeep, and the needle aftermath. The one we got is pre-lit but it looks really good compared to our old fake one which was terrible. We do not keep it lit all the time and tend to take it down shortly after Christmas so hopefully we'll get a little more usage out of the lights.
Which one?

Reaction Score
We switched to artificial due to inevitable travel during December. Got an unlit tree which I prefer (the lights on prelit trees can stop working). I like stringing the lights, it shouldn't be TOO easy.
agree stay away from the pre light ones.

Reaction Score
My youngest grand daughter asked if we were poor! I asked why she is asking. She said because you got a fake Christmas tree again. She added that it looks " more real-er" than theirs. Theirs is a real tree. She asked if I water it. I said yep use plastic vinyl water.I just laughed. Of course the oldest one the almost teen just rolled her eyes.

CL82

Reaction Score
Went with this one

Elegant Grand Fir LED Pre-Lit Artificial Christmas Tree​

• Flame-resistant all PE tips
  • Artificial tree measures 7.5 ft. high by 63 in. wide
  • 8,307 branch tips provide a luxuriously lush look
  • Merry micro dot LEDs stay cool to the touch
  • 2,000 warm white bulbs supply a regal radiance
  • Self timer 4,6,8, or 12 hours
  • Remote
E6083B87-1E41-43BF-99F2-FEE937F02D94.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went with this one

• Remote
View attachment 71465
Looks luxuriously lush and regally radiant.

Reaction Score
Went with this one

• Remote
View attachment 71465
Where'd you get it? Sounds and looks like mine - timer and remote.

CL82

Reaction Score
Looks luxuriously lush and regally radiant.
I’ll let you know. At the end of the day, it’s a plastic tree. I’m not sure I’ll be able to wrap my mind around it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom