article-Some Say UConn Shouldn't Be So Blatant About Courting The ACC | The Boneyard

article-Some Say UConn Shouldn't Be So Blatant About Courting The ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is the problem with this league. BC bitched for years ... and if you read the Tealeaves, they were itching to go way before 2004. Syracuse has been angling to get out since 2004. Louisville? Rutgers? Come on ... every time you turn around we saw B10 or B12. etc etc.

I actually want to get the BEST up & coming Football programs (take Temple; but also UCF & Houston). We will be good in hoop. And I don't mind being somewhat tethered to Georgetown & Marquette. Just go forward with confidence. Maybe Herbst should just say that. It wouldn't hurt. If the ACC of something else came around, we'd still be the best AD in New England. Way better than SU.

Reaction Score
I don't like being on our knees to the ACC not with what we have contributed. Far more than Pitt or Cuse who think they went to a stronger league. We saved the BE basketball reputation in the tourney last year for chrise sakes! Top 20 University ranking. There should be a line outside for us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
the big east is going down with the ship, as they say. it would not surprise me to see L'ville leave as well as WVU and i'm sure RU wants to go too. if anyone really thinks the BE is going to be viable for football, i think they are in fantasy land. i really hope UCONN ends up in any BCS league BUT the big east. i don't care if we have to beg, borrow, or steal to get it done.

Reaction Score
I admire Herbst for her candid honesty in declaring our 'preference' for the ACC. It's simply the truth. It's the same preference (ACC, Big 10, Big 12 or otherwise) for Rutgers, UoL, WVA, etc..., blantantly declared or otherwise. Whatever happens at this meeting I'm sure they will try and do what's best for the conference. Then the university presidents will do what's best for their schools. If there happens to be a conflict of interest....

Reaction Score
Herbst & UConn are honest about all this. bcu wasn't very honest when they committed to the BE, but were begging for ACC entrance several years ago.
Plus, RU, WV, Louisville are begging (quietly, or not so quietly) the ACC, B1G, SEC, or B-12 to take them.
What the hell do they expect UConn to do?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Many of those same people would complain that UConn didn't take pro active steps to join another conference if UConn tried to maintain the current BE and other teams bolted on UConn. And IMO anyone who doesn't think the other remaining BE football teams are attempting to get invited elsewhere are just naive. That was what Pitt and Cuse did and as others point out WV, Louisville and RU have recently done.

So I'm with the folks who admire Herbst for being forthright and candid. It is honest at a time when most people are being dishonest or not forthright about things. And it doesn't compromise UConn one bit strategically, because the BE won't be forcing UConn out based on this candidness.

Reaction Score
I agree. She's candid, not desperate. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. She's there today and everyone knows there that UConn wants answers before any commitment, not the other way around. The Big East has blinded itself to the reality of what was happening right in its conference. It ignored its members needs, and Herbst will not be ignored!

Reaction Score
I don't like being on our knees to the ACC not with what we have contributed. Far more than Pitt or Cuse who think they went to a stronger league. We saved the BE basketball reputation in the tourney last year for chrise sakes! Top 20 University ranking. There should be a line outside for us.

because this has little to do with basketball. ITS ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL!!! and if you havent noticed uconn football has only been in division 1aa for a short time and has had modest success and dont appear to be on path to becoming a strong national title contender any time soon so adding us to a conference for football your not really adding much. basketball wise our resume is unquestionable and if this realignment was about basketball we`d have conferences beating our doors down to get us in.
sure syracuse has been awful in football for years. i think the last time they were relevent donovon mcnabb was their qb but they are still a bigger name football wise than we are right now. pittsburgh is a solid football school so i can see why the acc wouldnt hesitate to take them.

Reaction Score
If we didn't approach the ACC, Herbst would have been critisized for not being proactive. Maybe there should be a line outside for us but apparently there isn't. Herbst probably should have said a little less to the press but at least she is trying to get us out ofwhat will be second rate league.

Reaction Score
Herbst is being so open about it because if she wasnt and then later secures an ACC invite and UConn leaves after taking part in the recovery planning it would be very hypocritical. It may not be easy to do and may rub some people the wrong way but it is the most honest way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom