Article says UVA Pursuing Staley for Head Coach Position | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article says UVA Pursuing Staley for Head Coach Position

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Greg Hadley
@GregHadley9

Dawn Staley asked straight out if she has any interest in Virginia: “No, I don’t have any interest in Virginia.” Also mentions that last time UVA had an opening “left a sour taste in my mouth.”

She tells it like it is, but surprised it left a bad taste. Generally Dawn has so much gum in there, there's no room for anything else.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She is the first person in NCAA history to win a basketball national championship as a player, assistant coach, and head coach.
My apologies for drifting off topic, I got carried away. :rolleyes:
Is there another one? I don't think there could be. Quite a distinction.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is there another one? I don't think there could be. Quite a distinction.

I don't think so either. I checked briefly around the net, I couldn't find anything. The article referenced that she was the first "person", so I would conclude that no male has done it either, which means she's in a class of 1.

There are several NBA coaches that won championships as a player and a coach (Tommy Heinsohn, Pat Riley, Bill Russell, Billy Cunningham, K.C. Jones, Phil Jackson, etc.), but I could not find any that did so in the college ranks.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Tennessee's commitment to women's basketball for decades, and the passion of their fans for the Lady Vols, leads me to believe they are one of the few programs who will pay big money to lure the coach they want. I think Dawn only leaves for a bigger pay day, and at a school with a huge commitment to women's basketball.

Tennessee is hurting for money right now; they had a huge buy out for Butch Jones.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
i don't think the LVs are putting money into their coaching.... Holly is at 650 i think.... whereas Jeff Walz is at well over a million
But, Pat Summit was making over a $1 million. No reason to pay her successor that amount until she proves herself; but, they have shown they are willing to pay such an amount for a head coach with skins on the wall.

Reaction Score
They can target her, but doesn't mean she'll want that job either. Her CBB ties are in SC. Now, after her first Olympic team experience, down the road, if the right pro team came up with some money, maybe. She'll need that Olympic experience first though.
If "pro" means WNBA, they don't have that kind of money. Major demotion from a program like SC. The best women's coaches are in college where they make more money and enjoy all kinds of other perqs that don't exist in the WNBA.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If "pro" means WNBA, they don't have that kind of money. Major demotion from a program like SC. The best women's coaches are in college where they make more money and enjoy all kinds of other perqs that don't exist in the WNBA.
Yep. Which is why I said it.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn's going anywhere..............She has a sweet deal at South Carolina with outstanding fan following. The $dollars could entice her
but UVA would have to come BIG or stay home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m a little slow on this, but there is a candidate who played at Virginia, coached at UConn, and has had some success as a head coach: Tonya Cardoza.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom