Article says UVA Pursuing Staley for Head Coach Position | The Boneyard

Article says UVA Pursuing Staley for Head Coach Position

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Popcorn, Popcorn Get Your Popcorn Here LINK

"Just days after Dawn Staley and South Carolina knocked Virginia out of the NCAA tournament in the second round, the Cavaliers are on the hunt for a new head coach and plan to reach out to Staley, according to sources with knowledge of the situation."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Popcorn, Popcorn Get Your Popcorn Here LINK

"Just days after Dawn Staley and South Carolina knocked Virginia out of the NCAA tournament in the second round, the Cavaliers are on the hunt for a new head coach and plan to reach out to Staley, according to sources with knowledge of the situation."

Why not, that's were she played her college basketball. She's got some ties there. If Virginia really wants Staley to come home, they've really got to sweeten the pot, dig down deep in the seat cushions and pony up some BIG time compensation. In essence, make her an offer she can't refuse. She's got a pretty good deal going at SC. SC might rework her current contract if they think she might seriously entertain overtures from Virginia. I have no doubt that Staley could do for Virginia what she is doing at SC.

Just like Kimberly Duane Mulkey (born May 17, 1962) could do the same thing at Louisiana Tech that she's doing at Baylor. In retrospect, I bet LT wishes they would have conceded to her demands during contract negotiations before she took the job at Baylor. She would have restored LT to it's glory days it enjoyed back in the 1980's. She became an assistant at Tech in 1985 and was promoted to associate head coach in 1996.

During her 15-year tenure as assistant and associate head coach under Leon Barmore, Louisiana Tech posted a 430–68 record and advanced to seven Final Fours. Mulkey and the Lady Techsters won the 1988 NCAA Championship. It would be interesting to see who would win out in a bidding war should LT decide they wanted Mulkey to return home, and run their women's basketball program.

She is the first person in NCAA history to win a basketball national championship as a player, assistant coach, and head coach. As high school valedictorian, she posted a perfect 4.0 GPA. She later achieved high academic honors as an inductee into the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic Hall of Fame for her classroom achievements at Louisiana Tech.

My apologies for drifting off topic, I got carried away. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Dawn’s mom and dad were from South Carolina before they moved to Philly. Dawn brought her mom back home when she took the job at South Carolina. Her ties to SC much deeper than they are to UVA, which is a quarter century in her past.

Reaction Score
Why not, that's were she played her college basketball. She's got more ties there than she does at SC. If Virginia really wants Staley to come home, they've really got to sweeten the pot, dig down deep in the seat cushions and pony up some BIG time compensation. In essence, make her an offer she can't refuse. She's got a pretty good deal going at SC. SC might rework her current contract if they think she might seriously entertain overtures from Virginia. I have no doubt that Staley could do for Virginia what she is doing at SC.

Just like Kimberly Duane Mulkey (born May 17, 1962) could do the same thing at Louisiana Tech that she's doing at Baylor. In retrospect, I bet LT wishes they would have conceded to her demands during contract negotiations before she took the job at Baylor. She would have restored LT to it's glory days it enjoyed back in the 1980's. She became an assistant at Tech in 1985 and was promoted to associate head coach in 1996.

During her 15-year tenure as assistant and associate head coach under Leon Barmore, Louisiana Tech posted a 430–68 record and advanced to seven Final Fours. Mulkey and the Lady Techsters won the 1988 NCAA Championship. It would be interesting to see who would win out in a bidding war should LT decide they wanted Mulkey to return home, and run their women's basketball program.

She is the first person in NCAA history to win a basketball national championship as a player, assistant coach, and head coach. As high school valedictorian, she posted a perfect 4.0 GPA. She later achieved high academic honors as an inductee into the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic Hall of Fame for her classroom achievements at Louisiana Tech.

Duane?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I keep thinking that Dawn will be targeted by Tennessee when the time comes . . .

Reaction Score
What about Wes Moore at NC State?

He's recruited pretty well and coached very well. Plus his current recruiting foundation would probably carry over right away to recruiting for UVA.

I don't have in depth familiarity, but I always saw UVA as having good potential given its academic cachet.

Reaction Score
Greg Hadley
@GregHadley9

Dawn Staley asked straight out if she has any interest in Virginia: “No, I don’t have any interest in Virginia.” Also mentions that last time UVA had an opening “left a sour taste in my mouth.”
Really too bad. Nice to have the South Carolina team a little unsettled heading into the weekend. Maybe we can restart the rumor. Here goes:

I hear Dawn Staley is denying interest in the Virginia job because she actually wants the Cincinnati job....

Reaction Score
I have some knowledge of UVA’s financial picture. I don’t see them having the $$ to get Dawn, even if she were interested. Of course outside supporters could generate the cash, but I don’t think there’s enough interest in the women’s BB program to do so.

Reaction Score
I really doubt Dawn would take the UVA job but I could see her possibly taking Tennessee.............hard to leave a program that averages 8K-10K per game unless you can do the same at another school............not sure how much she makes at SC but if nothing else what a great way to get a salary bump!!!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
....Just like Kimberly Duane Mulkey (born May 17, 1962) could do the same thing at Louisiana Tech that she's doing at Baylor. In retrospect, I bet LT wishes they would have conceded to her demands during contract negotiations before she took the job at Baylor. She would have restored LT to it's glory days it enjoyed back in the 1980's. She became an assistant at Tech in 1985 and was promoted to associate head coach in 1996.

And not to mention she is the fashion icon of D1 women's basketball coaches...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have some knowledge of UVA’s financial picture. I don’t see them having the $$ to get Dawn, even if she were interested. Of course outside supporters could generate the cash, but I don’t think there’s enough interest in the women’s BB program to do so.

I agree; Dawn has a $3.5 million buyout and I don't see UVA putting that kind of money into WBB. They don't do it for football.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It sounds as if Dawn has some mixed feelings about Virginia. I take her at her word that she is not interested. It makes sense, though, for UVA to contact Dawn, but I can’t see Dawn being interested. She has built something good in S.C., has a big contract, and has great attendance. That said, the time to leave may be when A’ja leaves. I see Courtney Banghart or possibly Lindsay Gottlieb at Virginia.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I keep thinking that Dawn will be targeted by Tennessee when the time comes . . .
They can target her, but doesn't mean she'll want that job either. Her CBB ties are in SC. Now, after her first Olympic team experience, down the road, if the right pro team came up with some money, maybe. She'll need that Olympic experience first though.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It sounds as if Dawn has some mixed feelings about Virginia. I take her at her word that she is not interested. It makes sense, though, for UVA to contact Dawn, but I can’t see Dawn being interested. She has built something good in S.C., has a big contract, and has great attendance. That said, the time to leave may be when A’ja leaves. I see Courtney Banghart or possibly Lindsay Gottlieb at Virginia.
I like Banghart here. Lindsay seems to be settled, although her next class loss meh. She'd better come up with a nice 2019 class.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I really doubt Dawn would take the UVA job but I could see her possibly taking Tennessee...hard to leave a program that averages 8K-10K per game unless you can do the same at another school..not sure how much she makes at SC but if nothing else what a great way to get a salary bump!!!
Tennessee's commitment to women's basketball for decades, and the passion of their fans for the Lady Vols, leads me to believe they are one of the few programs who will pay big money to lure the coach they want. I think Dawn only leaves for a bigger pay day, and at a school with a huge commitment to women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Tennessee's commitment to women's basketball for decades, and the passion of their fans for the Lady Vols, leads me to believe they are one of the few programs who will pay big money to lure the coach they want. I think Dawn only leaves for a bigger pay day, and at a school with a huge commitment to women's basketball.

i don't think the LVs are putting money into their coaching.... Holly is at 650 i think.... whereas Jeff Walz is at well over a million

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom