Article on UConn opponent Dayton | The Boneyard

Article on UConn opponent Dayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A little Jim Jabir story from way back:

I was at some AAU game in the summer and began to chat with an older lady. It turned out that she was Jim's mother and
he was at the event doing some recruiting for Providence.....he had just accepted the job. At some point
he came over and we began to chat about UConn and Providence fortunes. We started talking
about high school kids in the area and I mentioned a couple that I thought might be a good fit for him.
One first name I remember saying was Jillian.....from Minnechaug High in Wilbraham Ma. For the life of me I can't remember her last name. She wound up going to Vandy and having a very solid career.

Anyway Jim thanked me for the names and said if I ever wanted a couple of tickets to a game I should give his office a call. A huge mistake on his part. I did call prior to the Big East tourney a few months later [held in Storrs that year] and asked if I could get two tickets from the Providence stash. I offered to pay for them and the gal I spoke to said she would pass it on to Jim. In a few days two tickets for the entire tourney arrived....no charge....down in the lower bowl. Liked him ever since.

I think he went from Providence to Colorado to Marquette to Dayton....I may have missed a step or two.

Jillian Dantley????

Edit: Jillian Danker!

Reaction Score
A little Jim Jabir story from way back:

I was at some AAU game in the summer and began to chat with an older lady. It turned out that she was Jim's mother and
he was at the event doing some recruiting for Providence.....he had just accepted the job. At some point
he came over and we began to chat about UConn and Providence fortunes. We started talking
about high school kids in the area and I mentioned a couple that I thought might be a good fit for him.
One first name I remember saying was Jillian.....from Minnechaug High in Wilbraham Ma. For the life of me I can't remember her last name. She wound up going to Vandy and having a very solid career.

Anyway Jim thanked me for the names and said if I ever wanted a couple of tickets to a game I should give his office a call. A huge mistake on his part. I did call prior to the Big East tourney a few months later [held in Storrs that year] and asked if I could get two tickets from the Providence stash. I offered to pay for them and the gal I spoke to said she would pass it on to Jim. In a few days two tickets for the entire tourney arrived....no charge....down in the lower bowl. Liked him ever since.

I think he went from Providence to Colorado to Marquette to Dayton....I may have missed a step or two.

Jillian Dantley????

Edit: Jillian Danker

Reaction Score
Blake--You are correct on 2 counts:

1) It was Jillian Danker from Minnechaug/Vanderbilt
2) Jabir is a great guy!

Sorry to say, but incorrect on another count:
*** Was head coach at Siena, Marquette and Providence, followed by a one-year stint as an assistant at Colorado before getting hired at Dayton.

Good to see him having success and patience...he was 3-25 his first year with the Flyers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom