Article: Flagg sheds no light on decision | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article: Flagg sheds no light on decision

Reaction Score
Heard rumors that Duke NIL gave him $500,000. UConn NIL was $400,000. He’s not going to say it was because of the money. I’d still take him and wish him luck. Let’s beat ‘em though in 2025.
It’s been stated in a couple platforms that NIL wasn’t a factor and we more than held our own in that department, and it def won’t be over no 100k

Reaction Score
Yeah it mentions how he was a Duke fan growing up and was basically 100% committed to there untill UConn made him question that decision. UConn just needs to keep playing their game.
It's wild to me that a kid from Maine would grow up a Duke fan, but they were constantly good, in the news, and making runs in his childhood. Whereas we won two titles before he was 10 and then sucked for a decade. Even if we didn't win a title in the whole time between 2014 to 2023, but were, you know, good, we'd probably have had a better chance.

Reaction Score
I have watched Duke a little bit this year and Flaggs game will regress under Scheyer. He will still be picked #1 however. Cooper would have improved dramatically with DH. I believe he was just in love with the whole Duke aura created by ESPN.

Reaction Score
That tweet is over two months old. We really have to move on. He grew up a Duke fan and isn’t changing his commitment. Would he have been better off here? I certainly think so. But he’d be fine anywhere and I fully expect he’ll still go one overall in the 2025 draft.
I agree. It’s old and he’d be alright anywhere. Buuuuuuuut it’s just fun stirring the pot a little. Ya know? Hold out for that 1% chance…. Ya know?

Reaction Score
The least they couldve done was give us a side of fries with this absolute nothing burger. He doesnt owe anyone a reason for his choice. Leave the kid alone with the Uconn questions. He didnt come here ok. I guess we`ll have to, i dont know keep winning national titles without him? How will we ever cope?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These kids don’t care that much about NIL when they’re going to be millionaires the next year.

They just need respectable offers is all. Lol
Especially when they are already national names with 1 million + followers. The school they choose doesn’t matter.

Reaction Score
I hope we destroy him next March. If they get past the first weekend.
Nothing would please me more than to destroy 4 blue bloods this year en route to a back to back championship. I don't want to hear from the critics, "Oh, you beat Butler" "Oh, it was only Georgia Tech", "San Diego State, who?".

I want the last 4 games to win a championship against Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas in the final..... in that order. Hulk Smash them all!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Especially when they are already national names with 1 million + followers. The school they choose doesn’t matter.
Yeah it hasn’t affected college basketball recruiting like it has football.

In football guys legitimately don’t know if they’re going to the NFL or not and have to be in school for 3 years minimum. Barring injury, the top 10 guys are going to the NBA and fast. They aren’t sweating 100k.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Coopers dad also confirmed our NIL was comparable if I remember correctly?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah it hasn’t affected college basketball recruiting like it has football.

In football guys legitimately don’t know if they’re going to the NFL or not and have to be in school for 3 years minimum. Barring injury, the top 10 guys are going to the NBA and fast. They aren’t sweating 100k.
Even for football, if you are a national name before college, it doesn’t matter you can make more on your own.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Even for football, if you are a national name before college, it doesn’t matter you can make more on your own.
I have to disagree there. That doesn’t really exist in football and teams are dropping millions for top QBs. College football recruiting is a poopshow.

Miami is finishing with a top 5 class despite winning 8 games only once since 2018. Guys go for the highest bidder a lot more there.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much people know about dook, but a Cameron home game is intoxicating and seductive to a recruit kid. Its like even their students know how to recruit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have to disagree there. That doesn’t really exist in football and teams are dropping millions for top QBs. College football recruiting is a poopshow.

Miami is finishing with a top 5 class despite winning 8 games only once since 2018. Guys go for the highest bidder a lot more there.
Do any of them already have over a million followers on Instagram? Cooper is a rare and unique situation, like Paige was or Bronny James.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do any of them already have over a million followers on Instagram? Cooper is a rare and unique situation, like Paige was or Bronny James.
Oh I think we’re agreeing? The closest thing like that in college football is Archie Manning and he only has a little over 200k.

But then yeah, there’s Cooper Flagg, Bronny James, Mikey Williams, Zion, Lamelo, etc.

Its possible to build that following in basketball.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Not sure how much people know about dook, but a Cameron home game is intoxicating and seductive to a recruit kid. Its like even their students know how to recruit.

Their fans do get really into it, but the problem is that you're surrounded by Duke fans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Oh I think we’re agreeing? The closest thing like that in college football is Archie Manning and he only has a little over 200k.

But then yeah, there’s Cooper Flagg, Bronny James, Mikey Williams, Zion, Lamelo, etc.

Its possible to build that following in basketball.
It’s possible in football, but less common, I think because helmets make them less recognizable.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s possible in football, but less common, I think because helmets make them less recognizable.
It’s the marketing of the two sports.

The NBA is a player marketed sport. People have favorite players (Bron, KD, Luka, Jokic, Jordan) more than favorite teams. That’s what the league pushes.

NFL is a team marketed sport. Nobody really follows players from team to team. Also, even the way they broadcast games you HAVE to root for your local teams pretty much because that’s all you can consistently watch because of the local networks. Unless you’re a cowboys fan who always have national games. Lol. NFL makes sure no player is ever bigger than the shield.

The NBA doesn’t have control over HS kids brands of course, but they do love it when the Flagg’s, Lamelo’s, Zion’s, Wemby’s etc. enter the league because they know they’re bringing a big fan base with them.

Reaction Score
Not worth its own thread, but looks like there’s nothing related to VJ Edgecombe that would make Cooper uneasy at Duke. VJ just committed to Baylor

Reaction Score
Heard rumors that Duke NIL gave him $500,000. UConn NIL was $400,000. He’s not going to say it was because of the money. I’d still take him and wish him luck. Let’s beat ‘em though in 2025.
I hate to be "that guy" but...........I need a reference

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom