Around the NCAA - Weekend of 12/21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Around the NCAA - Weekend of 12/21

Reaction Score
Looks like Nova will be a big time resume boost for us when we beat them.

Reaction Score
Undermanned Johnnies hold on to beat #6 Zona. Big East is gonna get a bunch of teams in the tourny again.
——————
St. John’s Coach Anderson is doing a heck of a job with a bunch of lower level guys. Aside from Figueroa and Heron St. John’s has a bunch of nobodies.

One of its players (don’t recall his name) transferred in from Houston Baptist College. Who ever heard of Houston Baptist? Their 2 point guards transferrred in from Cleveland State and mighty Momonth.

I was unfamiliar with Anderson when he coached at Arkansas but he apparently is a very good coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
——————
St. John’s Coach Anderson is doing a heck of a job with a bunch of lower level guys. Aside from Figueroa and Heron St. John’s has a bunch of nobodies.

One of its players (don’t recall his name) transferred in from Houston Baptist College. Who ever heard of Houston Baptist? Their 2 point guards transferrred in from Cleveland State and mighty Momonth.

I was unfamiliar with Anderson when he coached at Arkansas but he apparently is a very good coach.

Mike Anderson coached Missouri against UConn in the Final 8 in 2009 when Anderson was at Missouri. I think Arkansas is one of the worst big conference jobs in college basketball, and I am not surprised he struggled there. Nolan Richardson succeeded at Arkansas, but a) he was an incredible coach, b) he was way ahead of other coaches in recruiting JUCO's, and c) he was crazy. No one else has been able to come close at Arkansas to what Richardson did before or since.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East having a monster week is fun, but of all the Big East games in the last few days, today's Xavier vs. TCU game is the only one that directly impacts UConn. We need some UConn opponents to pick up wins, because the Huskies are sitting at a 72 NET right now, which means we are not even on the bubble.

UConn has to stomp it's next two opponents (margin of victory matters in NET through the efficiency ratings), and put up a big record in the AAC to hope to get a bid.

Reaction Score
RealTime RPI....Teams in Top 25

AAC.......2

ACC.......4

BE..........2

Big 10....3

Big 12....5

PAC........2

SEC........2

Reaction Score
Mike Anderson coached Missouri against UConn in the Final 8 in 2009 when Anderson was at Missouri. I think Arkansas is one of the worst big conference jobs in college basketball, and I am not surprised he struggled there. Nolan Richardson succeeded at Arkansas, but a) he was an incredible coach, b) he was way ahead of other coaches in recruiting JUCO's, and c) he was crazy. No one else has been able to come close at Arkansas to what Richardson did before or since.

That was Kemba's breakout game.

Reaction Score
UVA down by 9 to SC in CVille. No team is safe this year.

Reaction Score
Jeez UVA just got smacked by South Carolina. Already lost to Purdue by a large margin this month as well.

Reaction Score
Xavier up 11 over TCU at half in Fort Worth. Woyld have been nice to have a win over X.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watching Houston vs G Tech right now
Grimes is an amazing player and Houston's athleticism is going to be a HUGE issue for UConn - as usual it's going to be men vs boys
UH is ranked in top 5 nationally in rebounds and rebounding differential

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Watching Houston vs G Tech right now
Grimes is an amazing player and Houston's athleticism is going to be a HUGE issue for UConn - as usual it's going to be men vs boys
UH is ranked in top 5 nationally in rebounds and rebounding differential
GT is also terrible. Syracuse beat them by 35...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

LOL

What year was that game at XL where Cincinnati got hosed on a call, Cronin went crazy, and the entire arena was laughing at him? I think he got a technical.

Reaction Score
What year was that game at XL where Cincinnati got hosed on a call, Cronin went crazy, and the entire arena was laughing at him? I think he got a technical.
Was that when he ripped his blazer off and fell over?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Houston beat Washington tonight in the title game of the Diamond Head Classic 75-71

Reaction Score
Houston beat Washington tonight in the title game of the Diamond Head Classic 75-71
Great game, just finished watching the DVR.

Between their zone, accuracy from 3, McDaniel's transition-led offense game and Stewart's interior prowess, Washington had a secure lead but Houston's rebounding and ball control in the 2nd half (2 turnovers I believe in the 2nd half) helped give and secure the lead.

Fabian White scored a career high 19 in 24 minutes while freshman guard Caleb Mills also scored 19.

What impresses me the most about Houston is how quickly they've turned around their backcourt. It's impossible to replace the trio of Davis/Brooks/Robinson but getting the waiver for Grimes plus the better than expected play of Mills and Sasser has been huge. Hinton and White with big improvements too.

It was fun to watch Washington for the first time. They are a flash-in-the-pan team with McDaniels and Stewart likely to be one-and-done, but McDaniels' athleticism and ability to lead the transition was impressive and he has an NBA ready offensive repertoire. Stewart is a maestro under the basket and while I'm not high on his NBA ceiling, his 7'5 wingspan, energy, strength and offensive tools makes him one heck of a college big man.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Not basketball related but this is a wild story. Miss States QB is out for their bowl game Monday because a linebacker punched him in the face and broke his orbital bone. Linebacker is still practicing with the team and looks to be playing? lol.

Reaction Score
New weekend, but the fighting mick cronin's of UCLA gave Cal State Fullerton their first win over a P5 team since 2011 tonight
Interesting that UCLA has no McDonald's All Americans for the first time since they started the McD game in 1977. That's a heck of a streak.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interesting that UCLA has no McDonald's All Americans for the first time since they started the McD game in 1977. That's a heck of a streak.

It is strange how UCLA has been so poor at matching it's coaching hires with the personality of the school and region. Alford couldn't handle the bright lights of Iowa City, but UCLA thought he would be successful in Westwood?

Cronin seems like another terrible fit, as does Chip Kelly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom