Arod likely to be suspended according to ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arod likely to be suspended according to ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it's not the AHA moment it's the size difference on the man "suddenly"........not picking on his a Sox player but when he left Royals to A's (imagine with Joes?) he got huge.........he played for the Yanks too remember!! He was a user of something and there's no doubt and Papi still has the untraceable something like it or not.........to deny him as a user is laughable!
Who really cares if some fans prefer to imagine certain players as clean or otherwise. I admit to holding onto a shadow of a doubt on Big Papi, its just more fun to imagine him as a 'good guy'. At the same time I have adamantly hoped during his various slumps that if he did ever use PEDs he'd restart. Ultimately the entire thing is crap and likely 50% of the athletes in all major sports used PEDs at the peak. Damon is a funny one though, I'm pretty sure that guy has taken ever recreational drug in the book, so it seems super naïve to believe he'd be a teetotaler at the steroid table.

Reaction Score
Impossible that ARod gets paid if he chooses to retire. A legal contract requires an exchange of services and if ARod ain't playing there is nothing he can provide. Of course ironically providing nothing is preferable to both his current injured status and his recent performance.

No one is suggesting that ARod simply say, "I've had enough." He's coming back from a second serious surgery at an advanced age. He'll have a medical out.

Don't get hung up on the word "retire." Think of it as "no longer able to play." No sports agent in the world would allow a player to sign a contract that doesn't pay him/her in the event of injury or physical disability. Are the Yankees paying ARod now? The player is protected from injuries by the contract, and the team is protected by insurance.

From the NY Times in March:

One possibility is that the injury is so bad that Rodriguez is medically unable to play. At that point, an insurance policy would pay for a substantial part of the contract.
The Yankees’ insurance policy on the contract includes a four-month deductible, and after that, they are reimbursed for 33 percent of the salary in the first year. If Rodriguez is considered permanently disabled, the insurance will cover 75 percent of the remaining money after the four-month period.

Reaction Score
Inconclusive but not "Not Guilty" as charged.....admit it he's a user, most from the DR are w/o stereotyping. Funny how the Sox fans wanted to hammer the ole Yanks who won some titles with Andy, Roger, ARod etc but won't admit to Damon, Papi, Manny and how many others on the 2004 team? Heck wasn't the SS (forget his name he was such a stiff prior) who won the batting title having the career year? Hmmmmmmm...........

Not just pointing to the Sox but it just shows how baseball has been riddled with this stuff for so long the truth is we have no idea how good anyone is anymore........is this guy a career minor leaguer if he's not using or is he really pretty good? No one knows........tough to love the game like I did when I was playing whiffle ball as a kid wanting to be all of them!!
I don't know about Ortiz, my guess is he probably juiced. Damon is a more likely suspect. When he was with the Sox he bench pressed more than any player on the team by a lot and the guy isn't very big.
As far as Arod is concerned: no way he gets paid if he retires. The Yankees would be smart to offer a lump of cash to Arod if he retires and be done with him.BTW, I am not an Arod hater. The guy was a great player and the best SS in baseball who didn't play SS.:)

Reaction Score
No one is suggesting that ARod simply say, "I've had enough." He's coming back from a second serious surgery at an advanced age. He'll have a medical out.

Don't get hung up on the word "retire." Think of it as "no longer able to play." No sports agent in the world would allow a player to sign a contract that doesn't pay him/her in the event of injury or physical disability. Are the Yankees paying ARod now? The player is protected from injuries by the contract, and the team is protected by insurance.

From the NY Times in March:

One possibility is that the injury is so bad that Rodriguez is medically unable to play. At that point, an insurance policy would pay for a substantial part of the contract.
The Yankees’ insurance policy on the contract includes a four-month deductible, and after that, they are reimbursed for 33 percent of the salary in the first year. If Rodriguez is considered permanently disabled, the insurance will cover 75 percent of the remaining money after the four-month period.
I 100% agree with your take, just disagreed with the words chosen by a poster that said ARod gets paid in every situation. No question that an injury and insurance covering the contract is the Yankees #1 preference. Would steroid suspension be #2?

Seems fitting since it is very likely that ARod's steroid use is why he's injured and likely broken down. See my earlier point about Nomar.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't know about Ortiz, my guess is he probably juiced. Damon is a more likely suspect. When he was with the Sox he bench pressed more than any player on the team by a lot and the guy isn't very big.
As far as Arod is concerned: no way he gets paid if he retires. The Yankees would be smart to offer a lump of cash to Arod if he retires and be done with him.BTW, I am not an Arod hater. The guy was a great player and the best SS in baseball who didn't play SS.:)

No one knows definitively about Ortiz. That is the point of all the speculation. I'd like to think he didn't and the inconclusive test in 2003 could probably go 6/5 or pick'em either way, but at the end of the day, I personally don't care. It's entertainment and most players (position and pitchers alike) had access to do what they chose.

Heck, there was even speculation that Craig Biggio used PED's, merely because he played with Ken Caminitti and Roger Clemens. Yes, you read that right, all of 5'-6", 134 lb. Craig Biggio. If this is true, then just assuming PED usage based on size is not a valid correlation.

Reaction Score
Any player who was not taking performance enhancers should be suspended for 100 games. They obviously do not care enough to want to win.

Reaction Score
No one knows definitively about Ortiz. That is the point of all the speculation. I'd like to think he didn't and the inconclusive test in 2003 could probably go 6/5 or pick'em either way, but at the end of the day, I personally don't care. It's entertainment and most players (position and pitchers alike) had access to do what they chose.

Heck, there was even speculation that Craig Biggio used PED's, merely because he played with Ken Caminitti and Roger Clemens. Yes, you read that right, all of 5'-6", 134 lb. Craig Biggio. If this is true, then just assuming PED usage based on size is not a valid correlation.
I thought size counted???:confused:

Reaction Score
Any player who was not taking performance enhancers should be suspended for 100 games. They obviously do not care enough to want to win.
I know you are joking, but that does hit on part of the problem. The major league guys that used and benefitted I'm not concerned about - ship sailed long ago. They made their deal with the devil and if there are repercussions its a choice they made and got benefit of the bargain. But then for every 1 of those guys there are probably 20 that took steroids and never made it. Those guys got screwed. The guys who never juiced and possibly lost spots to people that did might have lost some money and fame but at least have their health and self-respect (cue inspirational music).

Reaction Score
If I am in the minor leagues struggling to make it and likely raise a family and everyone around me is doing it and moving up....I am doing it.

It is not right blah blah blah but I have a tough time getting angry at those players...

Reaction Score
Baseball is a joke if they suspend anyone........I could care less about any of the names mentioned but the reality is it's everywhere.....each team has significant use of something and they can't figure it out so they're just hypocrites!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Baseball is a joke if they suspend anyone........I could care less about any of the names mentioned but the reality is it's everywhere.....each team has significant use of something and they can't figure it out so they're just hypocrites!!

Have to agree. It smells as if someone had a "meeting" and decided their opinion trumps due process or contractual agreements.

Of course these guys bought PED's, but there is a procedure in place, a confidential one at that, and a progressive disicpline procedure. Jumping straight to 100 games without an appeal as well as making it public wouldn't fly in corporate america. The HR director would have a fit.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
They are talking about 20 players. The minor league players have no right to appeal because they are not in the players union and I think that sucks. The ML players can appeal.
I'm just tired of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak