Arnold Dean passed away | The Boneyard

Arnold Dean passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw the news on Twitter. For those old enough, "The Dean" was very good for his time. By all accounts a very nice man. He hosted sports talk for years. Pre internet I remember him talking college hoops in the late 80's and having Rita Napolitano on. She co founded Eastern Basketball Magazine and I'd listen to get inside info on what was happening in the Big East. Anyway, the end of an era with Arnold Dean passing away.

Reaction Score
Just saw the news on Twitter. For those old enough, "The Dean" was very good for his time. By all accounts a very nice man. He hosted sports talk for years. Pre internet I remember him talking college hoops in the late 80's and having Rita Napolitano on. She co founded Eastern Basketball Magazine and I'd listen to get inside info on what was happening in the Big East. Anyway, the end of an era with Arnold Dean passing away.

A great guy. Always friendly and classy. Old school.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
RIP Arnold! He was always friendly and classy.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
RIP. always a professional and the memory of his broadcasts will always be part of my memories of CT

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. His sports show was the before WFAN. I called him a few times to talk about the Whalers. Never cut you off and was great.

Very sad news.

Reaction Score
I met Arnold at WTIC one day years ago and he was a very nice guy and was well liked by everyone at the station. Rita Napolitano, now there is a name from the past. She was the closest thing to an expert on BE basketball at the time and I remember seeing she and her husband a bar between games at the first BE tourney between games at the first BE tourney in Providence. RIP Arnold.

Reaction Score
....all those post game husky talk call in shows on the way home from the HCC....every other call was "we are a doughnut team....when are we going to recruit a center??"....RIP Mr. Dean.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

the polar opposite of modern day hosts. He was informed and respectful, as opposed to ill prepared and gotcha journalism

ctchamps

Reaction Score
the polar opposite of modern day hosts. He was informed and respectful, as opposed to ill prepared and gotcha journalism
Actually there was quite a bit he didn't know. But he didn't try to convince anyone he had all the answers by throwing out anything that came to his head. He just said he didn't know and asked people to call in if they had the answer. Now all the talking heads just spew out stuff, accurate or not.

Reaction Score
Actually there was quite a bit he didn't know. But he didn't try to convince anyone he had all the answers by throwing out anything that came to his head. He just said he didn't know and asked people to call in if they had the answer. Now all the talking heads just spew out stuff, accurate or not.

Exactly fleudy......greay guy, had a very good show and post game show.....but when asked things such as recruiting he was basically clueless........but that was well before recruiting was a major deal......good man and good Husky memories with Arnold RIP

Reaction Score
I always looked forward to listening to his show in the 80s during the college basketball season, particularly Monday night with Rita Napolitano.

He used to be on radio and TV in Syracuse, I was rather young then and don't quite remember him but if I saw a photo of him in his younger days I might.

RIP Mr D'Angelo

Reaction Score
The Dean on Sports Talk was a must listen each night.
He always had Perno then JC on weekly.
He even had recruits on once they signed.

And if you wanted recruiting info. you listened to Arnold having Rita Napolatano on(as mentioned abouve) and Ken Davis from the Courant.
Always even tempered the one time I remember he lost it was when people for a week staright kept calling and talking about and the Earl Kelley incident.
He kept saying NO MORE CALLS about Earl Kelley .. Callers just called more.

Bob Joyce/Ken Pierce (I believe ran the board then ) and they let the calls come through.Probably the callers said they wanted to talk about another issue. For Arnold he lost it.

I remember he had Gerry Bessilink on after he committed. Arnold asked him what he need to work on.. Gerry said everyhting because he grew like 6-7 inches over the summer was recruited as a guard now would be playing PF/C.

From JC to Frosty Francis to Bob'The Steamer" Stanley you had to listen.

RIP Arnold

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The Dean on Sports Talk was a must listen each night.
He always had Perno then JC on weekly.
He even had recruits on once they signed.

And if you wanted recruiting info. you listened to Arnold having Rita Napolatano on(as mentioned abouve) and Ken Davis from the Courant.
Always even tempered the one time I remember he lost it was when people for a week staright kept calling and talking about and the Earl Kelley incident.
He kept saying NO MORE CALLS about Earl Kelley .. Callers just called more.

Bob Joyce/Ken Pierce (I believe ran the board then ) and they let the calls come through.Probably the callers said they wanted to talk about another issue. For Arnold he lost it.

I remember he had Gerry Bessilink on after he committed. Arnold asked him what he need to work on.. Gerry said everyhting because he grew like 6-7 inches over the summer was recruited as a guard now would be playing PF/C.

From JC to Frosty Francis to Bob'The Steamer" Stanley you had to listen.

RIP Arnold
Thanks for going down memory lane. Didn't he also lose it about the donut team?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I goofed on Arnold once. I called and said that while I thought Phil Gamble was a fine player, I didn't think he deserved to have the building named after him. Arnold patiently explained that it wasn't Gamble, it was Gampel, "G-A-M-P-E-L" After I hung up he did say, "I think that fella was pulling my leg."

Arnold didn't have a bad word to say about anyone...except Ralph Houk. He never elaborated as far as I heard, I always wondered what the backstory was. My last call the Arnold was memorable for me, he deemed me the best caller of the night and I won two tickets to a Don Zimmer roast down at Mohegan Sun. I didn't realize what a big to-do it was. We had a great time. The ballroom was packed and the dinner was Surf and Turf with free beer and wine. Thanks, Arnold.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I remember he once had two recruits on at the same time. UConn was after them big time hoping to get both. UConn got neither.

One was Travis Best. I forget the other...anyone remember? They were both New England kids.

Reaction Score
I started listening to UConn games in 1955.
I know Arnold did play by play on radio at various times.
The years blend together after time.
Can anyone else recall who else did the early broadcasts?

Reaction Score

George Erlich.....

Reaction Score
george erhlich I believe

arch

Reaction Score
I goofed on Arnold once. I called and said that while I thought Phil Gamble was a fine player, I didn't think he deserved to have the building named after him. Arnold patiently explained that it wasn't Gamble, it was Gampel, "G-A-M-P-E-L" After I hung up he did say, "I think that fella was pulling my leg."

Arnold didn't have a bad word to say about anyone...except Ralph Houk. He never elaborated as far as I heard, I always wondered what the backstory was. My last call the Arnold was memorable for me, he deemed me the best caller of the night and I won two tickets to a Don Zimmer roast down at Mohegan Sun. I didn't realize what a big to-do it was. We had a great time. The ballroom was packed and the dinner was Surf and Turf with free beer and wine. Thanks, Arnold.

HE didn't like Jim Rice at all. I too looked forward to Rita on Monday nights. Best memory was his breaking Corny news. Stuck with him until he stopped taking calls about Dom Perno. Good man gone.

Reaction Score
Thank You I remember he was terrific.
I also remememer The Great Marty Glickman doing some UConn radio in the 1980's.
He was well passed his prime.
That guy could paint a picture with his voice.
There is something special about listening to a radio broadcast.
Maybe because it is all about the game as opposed to the TV guys celebrity.

Reaction Score
Thank You I remember he was terrific.
I also remememer The Great Marty Glickman doing some UConn radio in the 1980's.
He was well passed his prime.
That guy could paint a picture with his voice.
There is something special about listening to a radio broadcast.
Maybe because it is all about the game as opposed to the TV guys celebrity.

Yeah I had the "transistor radio" below my pillow during school nights and turned it off if the 'rents were checking on me...........the days I remember most although I saw some Wes games, was Cal Chapman, Gary Custick, Bobby Boyd, Bob Staak, Ron Hrubala and on and on..........they were special days for us old guys huh??

Reaction Score
Very true about the "quite a bit he didn't know". My dad used to tell me that all the time. In retrospect it just didn't matter because his voice was the equivalent of comfort food after a stressful day. I would look forward to it every day. Loss in general is just very tough for some of us and I never even met Arnold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom