Arkansas games this week | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arkansas games this week

Reaction Score
Last year's UConn team was not up to UConn standards defensively until sometime during the second half of the season. And in particular, their guards would beat our guards. In the Arkansas game they beat us from the arc and driving--resulting in lots of free throws. This year's club will be much better on defense from the get-go.

BTW, if you judge the quality of a team by where it is seeded, last year's loss to Arkansas was our worst loss since 2005. Arkansas was a 4 seed, Prior to that game, we lost in OT to an eventual 4-seed Stanford in 2014/15, and to 7-seed Boston College and 5-seed ASU in 2005.

Reaction Score
I strongly suspect that while not being as able as last years team in potentially pulling off upsets, they will certainly be more consistent.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a group effort but I'm sure Nika will play her part...........Goforth will also be a defensive challenge.......she was a great pick up for Arkansas.
I predict Azzi and Evina will get Goforth while Chrystin and Nika will get Ramirez. I wonder if we'll see a lot of the 4 G line up in response to AR lack of healthy size.

Reaction Score
These are not designated as 'exhibition' games so I assume they are part of their
regular season schedule....prior to our game on Sunday November 14.

They play Tarleton State on Wednesday.
They play Arkansas Pine Bluff on Friday.
I would think some nosy Boneyarders...or even an Arkansas fan or two...might post those scores
here.

Arkansas Pine Bluff cannot be an exhibition since they are a D1 team. Tarleton State had the option to designate it as an exhibition game for their record - even if Arkansas counted it in their regular season schedule - but they did not do that.

Reaction Score
I predict Azzi and Evina will get Goforth while Chrystin and Nika will get Ramirez. I wonder if we'll see a lot of the 4 G line up in response to AR lack of healthy size.
not sure......perhaps so but maybe Geno will also want to see what happens if he pounds it inside with ONO/Edwards and Dorka/Edwards or even ONO and Dorka together.......the nice thing about UConn's bigs is that they get up and down the court pretty well......

Reaction Score
not sure......perhaps so but maybe Geno will also want to see what happens if he pounds it inside with ONO/Edwards and Dorka/Edwards or even ONO and Dorka together.......the nice thing about UConn's bigs is that they get up and down the court pretty well......

Reaction Score
Last year when the ball went inside they doubled and tripled Liv and she would bring the ball down and they would steal it. It has to come in high and never go down to be able to kick back to Paige Evina Azzi Caroline and Christyn. Dorka and Aaliyah have to do the same. I am sure they will have practiced this issue all week. Our bigs didn't score last year because of this. We don't need them to. They just have to kick it out to our shooters.

Reaction Score
Last year when the ball went inside they doubled and tripled Liv and she would bring the ball down and they would steal it. It has to come in high and never go down to be able to kick back to Paige Evina Azzi Caroline and Christyn. Dorka and Aaliyah have to do the same. I am sure they will have practiced this issue all week. Our bigs didn't score last year because of this. We don't need them to. They just have to kick it out to our shooters.
Dorka seems to be an excellent finisher even when well covered.........perhaps she'll play down low........

Reaction Score
Dorka seems to be an excellent finisher even when well covered.........perhaps she'll play down low........
Geno has choices and I think Liv will start and if she doesnt produce he will make the change

Reaction Score

She's the best low post option but there will be so many blowouts, she won't be stuck only playing inside. Geno will give her (as he does with nearly all players) a chance to show off their versatility. After Griner's last season, on his show. he stated that he would have had Griner play outside the paint for some time as well.

Reaction Score
I agree about bringing the ball down. It's a cardinal no no for a big with her back to the basket. I still think you need low post scoring however so that the perimeter stays open due to doubles and you get back doors off the cutting guards. If she or Dorka is no threat to score and only passes you won't see a double and you won't have Paige, Azzi, Caroline or Evina open for a 3 on a pass from them.

Liv is very mechanical whereas Dorka is very fluid. It's as if Liv receives the ball and then thinks about what she is going to do in terms of a move or pass which allows the defense to swarm on her. Only at times does she begin her move instantaneously upon receipt of the ball. The best big men make a decision as the ball reaches them or before not after they are doubled. You sucker the commitment to a double and then find the open man. She would be so much more effective also at times if she received it, passed out immediately, and then repositioned to receive it again ala Kevin McHale who may have been the best ever at it. One more step especially deeper can make all the difference. Liv is Liv however. I think she reacts to the pressure on her in a negative way at times.

Her value as a passer is frequently overlooked on the BY. She was third on the team in assists last year, with 23 more for the season than CW. She also averaged 12 and 8 with 53 blocks.

She is a much different player than Dorka. However, I think she will actually be more effective after a while when both of them are in the game because of the high low option. I also think that she is not a power player so adding that in Dorka and AE to a certain extent, who is not as polished offensively, will help her. I'm thinking Patrick Ewing in college the year they had Michael Graham and won it in 1984. He was freed from his role as main rebounder and enforcer and became an imposing offensive threat. I'm not saying Liv is Ewing but the principle I believe is valid. I also think that Dorka and AE will help with the psychological pressure on her. She was basically all alone the last 2 years. I really would love to see her in full bloom this year. We wouldn't lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom