Arizona Press Conference @ 3:30ET | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arizona Press Conference @ 3:30ET

Reaction Score
ESPN isn’t exactly known for its accuracy with these types of reports. Considering it’s not Woj or Shefter, it wouldn’t surprise me if ESPN was very wrong on this one.

Reaction Score
ESPN isn’t exactly known for its accuracy with these types of reports. Considering it’s not Woj or Shefter, it wouldn’t surprise me if ESPN was very wrong on this one.

To add to the story, this is journalist is actually a college football reporter.

Reaction Score
I thought the purpose of the press conference was for Miller to explain why he called a timeout with 0.9 left in the game up 11 points.

Everyone knows he paid the cash. It’s not like he screamed his innocence until after he lawyered up.,,,

C

Chief00

I'm sure Ayton, or other high level recruits, weren't "free" for Miller and Arizona. But its definitely starting to feel like this ESPN guy wanted to be first as opposed to right.

The media standards aren’t what they use to be.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If he was innocent as he said, he waited too long. He never said immediately that he did nothing
The guy always looks like he is hiding something and when he announced he had hired Romar as an assistant you just knew trouble was bound to follow
I say let's hear the tape

The NCAA should step in on this decision of him continuing to coach but perhaps Zona and Miller took the UNC plea - he also offered $100K to a non athlete
At MSU, Bridges mother took hundreds of dollars yet the only they could find is that the family accepted a free dinner???

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why not just lie? Not like the punishment will get any worse if you get caught

Formerlurker's internal voice when dealing with his parents- 1977-1982 (ages 7-12).

It made so much sense to me back then even though it never once panned out that way. Didn't help that my Dad's go to line was something along the lines of "you're spanking won't be so bad if you tell the truth".

At 7-12 I didn't care about my honor or reputation. I just knew I had a slight window not to catch a whooping at all if I lied.

It's actually one of my parent's first life lesson's I can actually remember grasping the concept of.

Just tell the truth and you'll get through it.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Formerlurker's internal voice when dealing with his parents- 1977-1982 (ages 7-12).

It made so much sense to me back then even though it never once panned out that way. Didn't help that my Dad's go to line was something along the lines of "you're beating won't be so bad if you tell the truth". At 7-12 I didn't care about my honor or reputation. I just knew I had a slight window not to catch a whooping at all if I lied!

If only your dad was as corrupt as the NCAA. No luck there.

Reaction Score
Well he’s guilty of SOMETHING, because an innocent man doesn’t wait days while his reputation is dragged through the mud without saying a word.

Reaction Score
The University pushed their chips and went all in. Ayton playing is easy because even is Miller is guilty, it doesn't prove the kid got the money. But there is now wiggle room here. Either Miller just bet his entire career on false hope, or a reporter got punked by a terrible source.

Someone's career is basically over.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It made so much sense to me back then even though it never once panned out that way. Didn't help that my Dad's go to line was something along the lines of "you're spanking won't be so bad if you tell the truth".

At 7-12 I didn't care about my honor or reputation. I just knew I had a slight window not to catch a whooping at all if I lied.

It's actually one of my parent's first life lesson's I can actually remember grasping the concept of.

Just tell the truth and you'll get through it.

To be clear, I wouldn't advocate lying in 99% of situations.

NCAA witch hunts? Absolutely.

What's the difference you admit you're guilty and get fired. Or you play it out and maybe retain the job.

C

Chief00

Well he’s guilty of SOMETHING, because an innocent man doesn’t wait days while his reputation is dragged through the mud without saying a word.
You can’t use common sense in a legal situation. He is lawyered up both privately and by a the school. He is not free to say whatever is on his mind.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He did sort of go all in by saying he has never knowingly violated any NCAA rules. That covers just about everything, so if it's later proven he knew about Richardson's activities for the past ten years, he's toast anyway. I didn't like the look of reading a lawyer prepared statement with his head and eyes mostly down through the whole thing. It didn't come off looking real sincere.

Reaction Score
Money talks and talk is cheap.

If I were a one-person Board of Trustee at UA I would have drafted an amendment to Miller’s contract in which he represented that this conversation did not take place, and if it were proven that it did in fact take place he would be fired, the existing dismissal for cause payout of millions of $$ would be forfeited and he would instead receive $1.00.

If he refused to sign this amendment I’d fire him on the spot, if he did sign it keep him on, if he’s innocent nothing lost, if he’s not innocent I just saved the school a boatload of money and covered my butt.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Somebody is wrong here.

Given that Ayton didn't miss a game and that Miller is back, I'm not sure I'd want to be that ESPN reporter right now.

You can make mistakes, but you can't make that kind of a mistake.

It's the new norm, in sports and in politics. Maybe it's the Russians posing as FBI agents now, or maybe we just have an incredibly gullible media. The least likely scenario is still possible too, Sean Miller is just taking a chance the tape will never see the light of day and swinging for the fences because his career will be over anyhow if it's true

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's the new norm, in sports and in politics. Maybe it's the Russians posing as FBI agents now, or maybe we just have an incredibly gullible media. The least likely scenario is still possible too, Sean Miller is just taking a chance the tape will never see the light of day and swinging for the fences because his career will be over anyhow if it's true

If I were Miller's attorney that's exactly what I'd advise him to do.

The NCAA is woefully inept, and up until recently, they had only 44 enforcement agents for their entire membership, well over a 1,000 schools. I'd advise my clients to roll the dice and lie their asses off, hoping that neither the FBI or NCAA can ever tie anything together. It's better than getting fired right on the spot.

I do have to give some credit to Calhoun. While virtually all of these other coaches lie and stonewall, he at least took responsibility for what went on during his watch, and took the sanctions without appealing the NCAA's decision. That kind of integrity does count for a lot with what you see going on now, not that I believe he was pure as the driven snow by any means, but he may have been better than some, if not most.

Reaction Score
Zona's third 2018 top 100 recruit just backed out. They have zero recruits on board for 2018 now.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Zona's third 2018 top 100 recruit just backed out. They have zero recruits on board for 2018 now.

I thought recruiting was one of the main reasons Miller/University offered their statements.

Doesn't seem to have panned out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom