Arike Ogumbuwale on Dancing with the Stars | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arike Ogumbuwale on Dancing with the Stars

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those that don't believe in the selective situational favoritism of the NCAA recall the Mo'ne Davis ruling.
Davis gained fame by participating in a sport completely unrelated to basketball.
Based on her fame Mo'ne was paid for appearing in the Chevy commercial without impacting her NCAA eligibility.
UCONN was deemed to have committed a secondary violation by calling to congratulate Mo'ne for something completely unrelated to basketball.
Arike earned her fame by playing college basketball and can be paid for appearing on DWTS without impacting her NCAA eligibility?

Reaction Score
All I know is that if it was a UCONN player on DWTS, there would have been countless columns, ESPN segments, and WBB coaches speaking out about unfair advantages.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is the speed the decision was made. From the game winning shots to the offer from DWTS to permission. Must have been less than 48 hours? :confused:

You could say that the NCAA viewed it as a great PR opportunity for WBB and they were being proactive.............again let's see what happens the next time another opportunity comes up (not a guy printing t-shirts in his garage) for another player on another team........if the NCAA shoots it down then there would be reason to shout about it.....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For those that don't believe in the selective situational favoritism of the NCAA recall the Mo'ne Davis ruling.
Davis gained fame by participating in a sport completely unrelated to basketball.
Based on her fame Mo'ne was paid for appearing in the Chevy commercial without impacting her NCAA eligibility.
UCONN was deemed to have committed a secondary violation by calling to congratulate Mo'ne for something completely unrelated to basketball.
Arike earned her fame by playing college basketball and can be paid for appearing on DWTS without impacting her NCAA eligibility?
Well if she wins I hope Geno doesn't call her to congratulate her. :rolleyes:

If you watched her dance, I don't think this is gonna help ND recruiting at all. It may not even help her "brand". ;)

Reaction Score
All I know is that if it was a UCONN player on DWTS, there would have been countless columns, ESPN segments, and WBB coaches speaking out about unfair advantages.

I think with all the recent talk about the NCAA having to readdress school/player relationships (paying players etc.)..........these kind of borderline opportunities are going to be looked upon favorably by the press........if it was Victoria Vivians instead of Arike I don't think there would have been any complaints..........when it comes to UConn, Kia could rescue three children from a burning building and somebody would have complained that she didn't put out the flames too....

Reaction Score
Well if she wins I hope Geno doesn't call her to congratulate her. :rolleyes:

If you watched her dance, I don't think this is gonna help ND recruiting at all. It may not even help her "brand". ;)

the only way she's winning is if Ms Harding breaks a few more legs.........

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
the only way she's winning is if Ms Harding breaks a few more legs....

Don't think she was ever much of a threat to win with three figure skaters in the mix. Besides even her friends didn't think she could dance:
upload_2018-5-1_10-19-32.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Guys, there are many good reasons to suggest a double standard by the NCAA, particularly when it comes to ND, but in this instance I just don’t see it.

No doubt Ogunbowle got the opportunity to appear on DWTS as a result of her success on the b-ball court, but as I suggest in earlier posts, she’s either got a great summer job, or she’s competing in a 2nd sport as a professional, both of which are permissible under NCAA rules.

If a Husky had drained 2 shots to win the National semifinal & final, we would all be arguing about how Lou or another Husky had been robbed by the DWTS judges after her paso doble routine.

Reaction Score

Gabby would have been a better choice for the show if you’re really interested in getting good dancers on the show. Ogunbowale made the show because of the hype of her buzzer beater game winning shots.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For the sake of argument, let’s ignore my suggestions that Ogunbowle’s appearance on DWTS is either a great summer job or competition as a professional in a 2nd sport, both of which are permissible under NCAA rules.

Let’s take the position that the DWTS gig is an impermissible benefit to an athlete under NCAA rules. Somebody please explain how it’s any different than Kia doing a photo shoot for Glamour Magazine during her junior year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Guys, there are many good reasons to suggest a double standard by the NCAA, particularly when it comes to ND, but in this instance I just don’t see it.
No doubt Ogunbowle got the opportunity to appear on DWTS as a result of her success on the b-ball court, but as I suggest in earlier posts, she’s either got a great summer job, or she’s competing in a 2nd sport as a professional, both of which are permissible under NCAA rules.
If a Husky had drained 2 shots to win the National semifinal & final, we would all be arguing about how Lou or another Husky had been robbed by the DWTS judges after her paso doble routine.
If either ( both) were clearly permissible by NCAA rules there would have been no need for ND to request permission from the NCAA for her to appear on the show.
The real absurd and contradictor part is that Arike can keep the money and that she cannot appear in any "promotional" events eg., a commercial for DWTS. Contradictory because an NCAA player can say go to the Masters and compete and simply reject the prize money to retain their eligibility. Mo'ne Davis appearance in the Chevy commercial was itself entirely promotional for which Mo'ne was allowed to keep the money.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For the sake of argument, let’s ignore my suggestions that Ogunbowle’s appearance on DWTS is either a great summer job or competition as a professional in a 2nd sport, both of which are permissible under NCAA rules.
Let’s take the position that the DWTS gig is an impermissible benefit to an athlete under NCAA rules. Somebody please explain how it’s any different than Kia doing a photo shoot for Glamour Magazine during her junior year?
It's not different unless Kia accepted money for that photo shoot. Hopefully you are not setting up the straw man that since Arike did not win they are equal-no money exchange no harm.
BTW modeling is a bad example to use because the NCAA has a specific provision for permissible "modeling" activities.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If either ( both) were clearly permissible by NCAA rules there would have been no need for ND to request permission from the NCAA for her to appear on the show.
The real absurd and contradictor part is that Arike can keep the money and that she cannot appear in any "promotional" events eg., a commercial for DWTS. Contradictory because an NCAA player can say go to the Masters and compete and simply reject the prize money to retain their eligibility. Mo'ne Davis appearance in the Chevy commercial was itself entirely promotional for which Mo'ne was allowed to keep the money.
Given the labyrinth of NCAA rules on this matter, it was absolutely prudent on ND’s part to clear Ogunbowle’s appearance on DTWS beforehand.

Making money for dancing on a tv show or modeling for Glamour Magazine, as Kia did, is not a violation of NCAA rules. Being paid to endorse a product or service is a violation. With that said, I would point out that Ogunbowle does appear in the ads for this season’s DWTS, along with all the other athletes who are competing.

I don’t know the details about the Mo’ne Davis ad, other than the fact that she was not actually competing as an NCAA athlete at the time of the commercial up to the present day. Therefore, the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this instance. If there was any violation of eligibility, it would have to be adjudicated by the PA HSAA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not different unless Kia accepted money for that photo shoot. Hopefully you are not setting up the straw man that since Arike did not win they are equal-no money exchange no harm.
BTW modeling is a bad example to use because the NCAA has a specific provision for permissible "modeling" activities.
Cocoa, you’re starting to lose me. DWTS contestants all sign a contract that pays them a fixed amount with several bonuses if they continue past various elimination rounds. Kia was paid to model for Glamour Magazine. Both Arike and Kia received their respective opportunities because they were high profile b-ball players. Modeling for a magazine or dancing on a tv show fall within the larger context of general media/entertainment. As such, they are one in the same.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Kia was NOT PAID to be in Glamour magazine. She was part of a larger photo shoot. Did she get her hair and make-up done. yes, she did. Did she receive money, no, she did not.

(The photo shoot featured a group of extraordinary women athletes. )

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I watched DWTS on demand this morning. As a huge Lakers fan, I watched it to see Kareem. I have just one question, will Arike trade in her tennis shoes for heels or will she be stubborn? Who will last the 4 weeks?

Reaction Score
I watched DWTS on demand this morning. As a huge Lakers fan, I watched it to see Kareem. I have just one question, will Arike trade in her tennis shoes for heels or will she be stubborn? Who will last the 4 weeks?

Have not watched, never did. Few times I read about her in sneakers. Here's my 2 cents worth, It may not be Arike's stubbornness she's wearing sneakers, a hunch maybe Muffet signed off on Arike going on DWTS with the stipulation she "ONLY" wears sneakers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom