Arike Ogumbuwale on Dancing with the Stars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arike Ogumbuwale on Dancing with the Stars

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ll be looking for the big move in the last second of Arike’s routine. And whether she makes contact with anyone on the dance floor. ;)

Have fun, and don’t get hurt!

Reaction Score
Interesting article regarding the NCAA. She can keep the prize money if she wins "because it will be because of her dancing." :D Idk why that is so funny to me. I can totally hear the thoughts of some fans.... "It's just cuz she's from ND.." I have never watch DWTS, and I don't plan on it. I'm sure one byer or mcrgraws bencher will keep our community updated. Hopefully this might lead to the NCAA "bending the rules" more in the future. But for now, break a leg Arike :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting article regarding the NCAA. She can keep the prize money if she wins "because it will be because of her dancing." :D Idk why that is so funny to me. I can totally hear the thoughts of some fans.... "It's just cuz she's from ND.." I have never watch DWTS, and I don't plan on it. I'm sure one byer or mcrgraws bencher will keep our community updated. Hopefully this might lead to the NCAA "bending the rules" more in the future. But for now, break a leg Arike :cool:
I guess the rules only apply to Colorado?

CU's Bloom loses final NCAA appeal

Reaction Score
How about when Greg Anthony from unlv had his own t shirt business and they wanted him to shut it down or pay his own way

Reaction Score
How about when Greg Anthony from unlv had his own t shirt business and they wanted him to shut it down or pay his own way
Did that happen to Megan Walker with her "MKW / 50 Peice Meg" brand too? Haven't heard anything about it since she signed... ?

upload_2018-4-14_11-10-13.png

Find People ON Web Viewer

Reaction Score

My understanding of the Greg Anthony T shirt business that he purposely took himself off scholarship to pursue the business and the NCAA made him shut it down any way. Greg Anthony's business enterprise was not an issue until it was mentioned during a nationally televised broadcast.

Reaction Score
Anthony was trying sell shirts for winning a NCAA championship

Reaction Score
Another nice little gift to ND allowing a waiver for a player this opportunity when other schools are questioned if their players make a flight to the all star game or talk to an NBA player. Sounds like the same favoritism of their transfer and homer refs.

Reaction Score
I can barely have respect for anything Lousiville (spelling? My phone didn't autocorrect but I'm still worried). The fans obviously have done nothing wrong, so I am not saying anything about the fans. The men's coach was obviously "#&#^@%@%^#&." Jeff Wala hasn't done anything to warrant that exact reputation, but he's still a piece.

Reaction Score
Leaving aside my personal dislike for all things ND, I don't see how the NCAA can allow this? What if one of the show's producers is a ND alum? You can't buy a player a turkey sandwich, but you can get them a spot on your tv show where they can earn thousands of dollars? Maybe we can get Jalen Adams a spot on The Price is Right, or get Molly Bent on Jeopardy? The NCAA is so heavy handed in so many other areas, this decision is just a head scratcher for me and reeks of a double standard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Leaving aside my personal dislike for all things ND, I don't see how the NCAA can allow this? What if one of the show's producers is a ND alum? You can't buy a player a turkey sandwich, but you can get them a spot on your tv show where they can earn thousands of dollars? Maybe we can get Jalen Adams a spot on The Price is Right, or get Molly Bent on Jeopardy? The NCAA is so heavy handed in so many other areas, this decision is just a head scratcher for me and reeks of a double standard.
This is an interesting question. For an NCAA athlete to risk their eligibility, they have to receive compensation, beyond tuition, room and board for playing their sport. So cash from boosters, a new car, endorsement deals are expressly prohibited. Athletes are also not allowed to be compensated for coaching their sport.

I’m certain ND cleared Ogunbowle’s participation on DWTS beforehand. Don’t know if she’s being compensated beyond travel and related expenses, but even if she is, the NCAA does not restrict athletes from being paid for part time work, work study programs, summer jobs and/or internships.

Ogunbowle is not getting paid for basketball related activity and while we can argue whether or not dancing is a sport, in this instance I would argue that it is just a glorified summer job.

You might argue that the only reason Ogunbowle got this opportunity was because she was a star athlete, and I would agree. But frankly that’s no different than the numerous summer internships that star athletes around the country secure every year from alumni at investment firms, Fortune 500 companies, etc.

Reaction Score
She wasn't too bad. I think she shows great footwork lol.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is an interesting question. For an NCAA athlete to risk their eligibility, they have to receive compensation, beyond tuition, room and board for playing their sport. So cash from boosters, a new car, endorsement deals are expressly prohibited. Athletes are also not allowed to be compensated for coaching their sport.

I’m certain ND cleared Ogunbowle’s participation on DWTS beforehand. Don’t know if she’s being compensated beyond travel and related expenses, but even if she is, the NCAA does not restrict athletes from being paid for part time work, work study programs, summer jobs and/or internships.

Ogunbowle is not getting paid for basketball related activity and while we can argue whether or not dancing is a sport, in this instance I would argue that it is just a glorified summer job.

You might argue that the only reason Ogunbowle got this opportunity was because she was a star athlete, and I would agree. But frankly that’s no different than the numerous summer internships that star athletes around the country secure every year from alumni at investment firms, Fortune 500 companies, etc.

Except it does matter if you look at the NCAA's stance against the UCF kicker who was making money off his youtube channel....because he was an athlete.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Except it does matter if you look at the NCAA's stance against the UCF kicker who was making money off his youtube channel....because he was an athlete.
I know this is a very narrow distinction, but there is a difference between Ogunbowle appearing on DWTS, and the UCF kicker. While Ogunbowle is clearly on DWTS because of her notoriety as a ND b-ball player, the show itself has nothing to do with ND b-ball.

The kicker at UCF was monetizing his experience as a “student-athlete” at UCF on YouTube. The school offered him the opportunity to continue doing so, and remain a member of the team, provided that he eliminate refererences to UCF football. He refused, and UCF, not the NCAA, removed him from the team.

the Q

Reaction Score
I know this is a very narrow distinction, but there is a difference between Ogunbowle appearing on DWTS, and the UCF kicker. While Ogunbowle is clearly on DWTS because of her notoriety as a ND b-ball player, the show itself has nothing to do with ND b-ball.

The kicker at UCF was monetizing his experience as a “student-athlete” at UCF on YouTube. The school offered him the opportunity to continue doing so, and remain a member of the team, provided that he eliminate refererences to UCF football. He refused, and UCF, not the NCAA, removed him from the team.

Because it was an NCAA violation. UCF did it as a preventative measure since the NCAA wouldn't allow it. Ogum is still using her status as an amateur athlete to reap benefits.

Also Jeremy Bloom was making money as an olympic level skiier. the NCAA made him give that up to play football. Skiing does not equal football. Like dancing does not equal basketball.

There is no way around it that ND is once again getting preferential treatment. Twice in less than a calendar year.

Reaction Score
Because it was an NCAA violation. UCF did it as a preventative measure since the NCAA wouldn't allow it. Ogum is still using her status as an amateur athlete to reap benefits.

Also Jeremy Bloom was making money as an olympic level skiier. the NCAA made him give that up to play football. Skiing does not equal football. Like dancing does not equal basketball.

There is no way around it that ND is once again getting preferential treatment. Twice in less than a calendar year.

Before anybody calls it an NCAA/ND "conspiracy" the proof will be in the pudding going forward regarding transfers and outside income........the bar has been set, let's see what happens the next time these issues come up

the Q

Reaction Score
Before anybody calls it an NCAA/ND "conspiracy" the proof will be in the pudding going forward regarding transfers and outside income...the bar has been set, let's see what happens the next time these issues come up

the bar was set well before these 2 issues.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is the speed the decision was made. From the game winning shots to the offer from DWTS to permission. Must have been less than 48 hours? :confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Again, there is a series of narrow distinctions. With regard to the UCF situation, I would make 2 points. UCF chose not to challenge the NCAA because 1. This was a backup kicker and 2. Completely aside from any possible NCAA violation, UCF, like any other college program, is probably not happy with, and may well have restrictions on team members, posting on social media. Certainly unedited videos on YouTube might well lead to potential unforeseen problems for the team and teammates who appear in those videos.

The Bloom situation bothers me every bit as much as it does you. While Bloom had to take the bullet by losing his remaining eligibility at CO, he ultimately prevailed and the NCAA changed their policy in 2006 to permit athletes to compete as amateurs in one sport while competing professionally in another.

Let’s assume dancing is a sport. If so, Ogunbowle is doing the same thing Bloom did a decade ago, which the NCAA has subsequently approved.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom