Aresco: We know CR may not be over | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We know CR may not be over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wasn't limiting NC's to just women's basketball. I was thinking men's basketball, soccer, baseball, etc. Having UCONN men and women basketball dual NC champs puts the focus back on UCONN (and as Aresco knows, the AAC as well).
We don't have any national championships in baseball. The northernmost program to ever win a championship is Oregon State. We do have a solid baseball program, definitely.

Reaction Score
We don't have any national championships in baseball. The northernmost program to ever win a championship is Oregon State. We do have a solid baseball program, definitely.

Yes, it was hypothetical regarding the NC's. More hypothetical: If (big if) the AAC gets 2 or 3 teams in the final four (UCONN, Memphis, Cincy) that tempers the "P5 is above the rest" story line. I think the ACC would want disrupt that by undermining the AAC, just like it did the BE, which could mean an invite for UCONN, which in turn could draw interest from other conferences. Also, with Rutgers and Louisville still in the league, coupled with strong performances from UCONN, UCF, Cincinnati, etc. the AAC could be ranked higher than the ACC in football, at least for this year. UCONN needs to play hard and win and can't afford a losing season in FB. Back-to-back wins against Maryland and Michigan would help solidify UCONN's football credibility.

Reaction Score
Whats so exciting or athletic about 6'5" to 7'0" men to put a ball thru a hole they can reach w/o jumping?

It's exciting because sports are about winning and they are the best in the world at what they do. If people were so much more interested in watching 5'6" to 6'0" men rebound the ball below the rim, middle school basketball would dominate ESPN in the winter.

Reaction Score
Yes, it was hypothetical regarding the NC's. More hypothetical: If (big if) the AAC gets 2 or 3 teams in the final four (UCONN, Memphis, Cincy) that tempers the "P5 is above the rest" story line. I think the ACC would want disrupt that by undermining the AAC, just like it did the BE, which could mean an invite for UCONN, which in turn could draw interest from other conferences. Also, with Rutgers and Louisville still in the league, coupled with strong performances from UCONN, UCF, Cincinnati, etc. the AAC could be ranked higher than the ACC in football, at least for this year. UCONN needs to play hard and win and can't afford a losing season in FB. Back-to-back wins against Maryland and Michigan would help solidify UCONN's football credibility.
I agree our success in CR will largely be be determined by basketball success.
We are all competing on a level playing field in BB.
Our past success were attributed to JC.
Its not easy to transcend a bigger than life reputation but I think we will.
Football success in the AAC will be minimized

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Has anyone been more screwed in this process than Geno. One of the greatest coaches ever and his legacy could be mitigated if his program becomes irrelevant in a sub-tier league.

Not once has he suggested he wasn't up for the challenge. If anything, he's basically said bring it.

AAC wins the next 3 NC's on the ladies side.
If the girl's keep winning the national championship, they can play in the Willimantic CYO league and it won't matter!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Has anyone been more screwed in this process than Geno. One of the greatest coaches ever and his legacy could be mitigated if his program becomes irrelevant in a sub-tier league.

Not once has he suggested he wasn't up for the challenge. If anything, he's basically said bring it.

AAC wins the next 3 NC's on the ladies side.

Geno is not affected by conference affiliation. As has been noted, the Women compete against the nation. The regular season is a tune up.

His rival coaches go into a living room and tell the girls, "You'll get quality education and maybe a chance to beat UConn, who will probably win their conference and get an NCAA tourney bid." Geno (or Chris Daily) sit down on a recruits' parents' couch and merely ask, "While you get a better education, why not win a national championship in the process?"

It's a no brainer, No?

Reaction Score
Geno is not affected by conference affiliation. As has been noted, the Women compete against the nation. The regular season is a tune up.

His rival coaches go into a living room and tell the girls, "You'll get quality education and maybe a chance to beat UConn, who will probably win their conference and get an NCAA tourney bid." Geno (or Chris Daily) sit down on a recruits' parents' couch and merely ask, "While you get a better education, why not win a national championship in the process?"

It's a no brainer, No?
I disagree.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
@in reference to the WBB's fanbase they are also followed by young kids and the LGBT community!Believe it or not I and many others prefer it to the primadonna's who play MBB coming from a guy who played the game!Less dunking and hotdogging and more fundamental 1965 hoops!The men bore me now!

All due respect Nicky, it doesn't matter what a few people prefer, all that matters is what the masses prefer. Outside a few pockets of the country, Women's ball in just not on the radar. I agree that the Women's game is a more fundamental game. In fact if I were coaching a 6th grade boys team, I'd show them recording of women's basketball, but there is no way you can convince me that it is more entertaining than the men.

Reaction Score
All due respect Nicky, it doesn't matter what a few people prefer, all that matters is what the masses prefer. Outside a few pockets of the country, Women's ball in just not on the radar. I agree that the Women's game is a more fundamental game. In fact if I were coaching a 6th grade boys team, I'd show them recording of women's basketball, but there is no way you can convince me that it is more entertaining than the men.

@I can't disagree friend but just giving it from my perspective!!I thinks its going to increase in popularity tho!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom