Aresco: We know CR may not be over | The Boneyard

Aresco: We know CR may not be over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
but we need UConn to be good. Here's the full quote:
"We know conference realignment may not be over, but the system has stabilized and we all recognize it. I believe we are all committed now to making The American the best conference it can be for the membership. … It's important to us that UConn continues to play at a high level nationally and we are confident it can do that here."

He spoke with The Courant today. Not much new. Here's the story.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-aresco-aac-0627-20130627,0,1569411,full.story

Reaction Score
The good news is that there is one person in the world who does not believe that UConn is stuck in this conference for the forseeable future. The bad news, of course, is the one person seems to be our conference commissioner.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been more screwed in this process than Geno. One of the greatest coaches ever and his legacy could be mitigated if his program becomes irrelevant in a sub-tier league.

Not once has he suggested he wasn't up for the challenge. If anything, he's basically said bring it.

AAC wins the next 3 NC's on the ladies side.

Reaction Score
Geno and JC put us on the map. Pretty much all schools who got into their present conferences through expansion were advanced by coaches at some point in their histories before they were added.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been more screwed in this process than Geno. One of the greatest coaches ever and his legacy could be mitigated if his program becomes irrelevant in a sub-tier league.

Not once has he suggested he wasn't up for the challenge. If anything, he's basically said bring it.

AAC wins the next 3 NC's on the ladies side.

Geno's head is where it was 20 years ago. . .all he's going to worry about is winning, and everything else will fall into place. I think his legacy is going to measured by NC's and not by conference championships. I agree about the next 3 years. What will roil the "P5" conferences is to see the AAC chalking up NC's.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
News flash - nobody besides old men and old women care about women's basketball.

If people did, the greatest program in the history of the sport wouldn't be in a mid major league.

Reaction Score
News flash - nobody besides old men and old women care about women's basketball.

If people did, the greatest program in the history of the sport wouldn't be in a mid major league.

Apparently no one cares about men's basketball either because if people did, the program with the most national championships in the last 15 years wouldn't be in a mid major league.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Way way off. You forgot about little kids.

Reaction Score
I dont think it matters if the the UConn women are playing in the Big East, The American, or the Naugatuck Valley League. They beat up on 99% of the conference every year anyway outside of this last stretch with ND and back when Rutgers was solid 5-6 years ago. Just think about it, the womens biggest rivalry was an out of conference opponnent (Tennessee) who they played every year. That is unheard of on the mens side. The UConn women will continue to play the top programs every year just like they have been with Baylor and Stanford.

Reaction Score

@With one caveat...those "old men and woman" happen to be a part of the USA's largest demo... the "Boomer" generation and carry a lot of wealth, power and influence!

Reaction Score
I dont think it matters if the the UConn women are playing in the Big East, The American, or the Naugatuck Valley League. They beat up on 99% of the conference every year anyway outside of this last stretch with ND and back when Rutgers was solid 5-6 years ago. Just think about it, the womens biggest rivalry was an out of conference opponnent (Tennessee) who they played every year. That is unheard of on the mens side. The UConn women will continue to play the top programs every year just like they have been with Baylor and Stanford.

@I'm pretty sure RU's "decline" wasn't that long ago maybe 3 years top's?At least it don't seem that long! Epiphany Prince started it by being good enough to skip her Sr season to play for pay and threw RU into a tumble cause CVS don't like using all her allotted schollies combined with 3 injuries and a transfer had to play with a depleted roster(8 players)?!I think she loves her kids so much she won't over recruit to have 3 AA's sitting on the bench!No doubt though, Geno's gotta be the best WBB coach of all time!

Reaction Score
They are more famous for getting Imus fired. Everyone forgot why Imus even talked about them in the first place.

Reaction Score

I support teams that say 'Uconn' or 'Connecticut' on the jersey.
While not a huge ladies basketball fan, I can certainly say I appreciate how dominate the program has been which has gotten me to watch many games.

It's refreshing when people like you share these 'news flashes' though. Here's some additional breaking news... Nobody cares about your opinion...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I support teams that say 'Uconn' or 'Connecticut' on the jersey.
While not a huge ladies basketball fan, I can certainly say I appreciate how dominate the program has been which has gotten me to watch many games.

It's refreshing when people like you share these 'news flashes' though. Here's some additional breaking news... Nobody cares about your opinion...

People like you need to realize a few things.

I don't root against other UConn sports besides men's basketball and football, I just frankly couldn't care less.

You also need to realize that the majority of America feels the same way.

So when someone makes a claim that the 'power 5' are going to have their feathers ruffled by an AAC team winning the women's basketball championship, you just have to realize how absurd that sounds.

I'm a pretty open women's basketball hater, so this isn't a veiled shot either. I appreciate Geno and how the program has achieved legendary status. I'm just saying I'd rather gauge my eyes out then have to watch more than 5 minutes of a game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Geno may be the person least affected by CR in all of college athletics. Many coaches and programs benefited by getting away from him. The new ones will benefit by playing him.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
People like you need to realize a few things.

I don't root against other UConn sports besides men's basketball and football, I just frankly couldn't care less.

You also need to realize that the majority of America feels the same way.

So when someone makes a claim that the 'power 5' are going to have their feathers ruffled by an AAC team winning the women's basketball championship, you just have to realize how absurd that sounds.

I'm a pretty open women's basketball hater, so this isn't a veiled shot either. I appreciate Geno and how the program has achieved legendary status. I'm just saying I'd rather gauge my eyes out then have to watch more than 5 minutes of a game.

I wasn't limiting NC's to just women's basketball. I was thinking men's basketball, soccer, baseball, etc. Having UCONN men and women basketball dual NC champs puts the focus back on UCONN (and as Aresco knows, the AAC as well).

Lastly, while football drives things, CR can be cumulative. UNC (when not subverting NCAA rules) is considered a CR prize, yet their football is really just OK. Instead, they excel at numerous sports, research expenditures, academics, are AAU, are a national brand, are in a growing market, etc. While women's basketball alone isn't going to get UCONN a conference invite, I think it adds to the "body of work" that makes UCONN a good add and it does contribute to growing the national UCONN brand.

Reaction Score
Apparently no one cares about men's basketball either because if people did, the program with the most national championships in the last 15 years wouldn't be in a mid major league.

To date, your statement is correct with one minor change. Replace "no one" with "almost no one with P5 voting rights". Duke and UNC being exceptions.

As for Aresco, he is 100% correct. Uconn, Cincy, and USF are the only members with prior experience in a major conference, and of them Uconn is clearly the biggest name nationally because of its basketball programs. The AAC is depending on Uconn to push the conference in the first couple years. Uconn winning is just as important for the AAC as it is for Uconn to move into a major conference.

Reaction Score
They are more famous for getting Imus fired. Everyone forgot why Imus even talked about them in the first place.

@That cost RU's WBB too!In the midst of CVS's media fame they took recruits maybe they shouldn't have in numerous black homes across the country who might not have fit at RU under normal circumstances and most transfered or whined about the defensive emphasis by CVS...I think this year we (RU) finally recover!Lets face it on the national scene RU's been relevant in WBB since the 80s in Sue Wick's heyday!!I think RU was one of the 1st to hire a fulltime WBB coach?btw,the fact they had tatoo's and "muscles" and called them "nappy headed ho's" was the main reason for the contraversy!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
@With one caveat...those "old men and woman" happen to be a part of the USA's largest demo... the "Boomer" generation and carry a lot of wealth, power and influence!

Well, so far that wealth, power and influence have yielded negative returns.

More appropriate to say they have wealth.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm neither and I care. Hard for me to imagine a Uconn fan who didnt care. If Uconn wins at tiddlywinks I'm excited.

This!

How quickly people forget the fact that the success of the women's team has kept our school's name in the national conversation and has added to the excellent image of our university. And like CAHusky, I will root for the friggin' UConn chess team...

http://www.clas.uconn.edu/mp-full.php?news_id=241

Reaction Score

This is like saying no one cares about money.

Enough people care that money is made on TV sets in the Conn. market.

Reaction Score
Well, so far that wealth, power and influence have yielded negative returns.

More appropriate to say they have wealth.

@in reference to the WBB's fanbase they are also followed by young kids and the LGBT community!Believe it or not I and many others prefer it to the primadonna's who play MBB coming from a guy who played the game!Less dunking and hotdogging and more fundamental 1965 hoops!The men bore me now!

Reaction Score
Whats so exciting or athletic about 6'5" to 7'0" men to put a ball thru a hole they can reach w/o jumping?

Reaction Score
If you think the 8 (and hopefully more) championships in women's basketball doesn't help our profile, you must hate women. Over 50% of humanity are females. They matter, too. We live in a world where disparity between the two genders is decreasing. Our women's basketball is more popular on SNY than Syracuse men's basketball, correct?

A woman who I know that is a UConn grad from long ago and a HUGE women's basketball fan pointed out that women's basketball is more fundamentals than men's basketball, since the men are freaks of nature. I couldn't argue against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom