Aresco Speech From AAC Media Days | The Boneyard

Aresco Speech From AAC Media Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
@American_FB is tweeting some quotes from his speech. I'm at work and can't embed them but my favorite quote so far is this:

"I do not care for this Power 5 designation and we do not accept the notion that we are not a power conference."

Should be a fun ride over the next couple of months. Hopefully this gets those blabbering mouths on TV talking about us.

Drew

Reaction Score
Love the "chip on the shoulder" mentality that Aresco and the AAC are taking. It is VERY obvious after today that the American isn't going to just stand around and be a punching bag. Love this attitude even if we don't get considered a "Power" conference it is refreshing and good to see someone standing up for us. If we don't stand up for ourselves, nobody else will. The more I see out of Aresco the more I like him for this role.

Reaction Score
Last night on College Football Live on ESPN, at the end of the show, they talked about where the AAC fits in the grand scheme of things and said its ultimately a conference for schools waiting for an invite to the P5. The specific example listed was Houston wanting to join the Big 12.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, ESPiN will not help whatsoever in the AAC's fight to be recognized as a power conference. They own the AAC content for chicken scratch so that they can drive viewership to their other conferences: the ACC and SEC. The AAC has many schools that play within the boundaries of those two conferences so it's in ESPiN's best interest to devalue anything AAC so that it can make a higher return on their larger investments.

The AAC is in this fight alone. Well, maybe other G5 conferences will want to join in and declare themselves as power conferences and cite the AAC as the model. But if the AAC is looking for fair representation from the worldwide leader in awful sports journalism, they will be disappointed.

What I would like to see is UCONN taking a very active and vocal role in promoting the AAC as a power conference. We are the G5 heavyweight, along with BYU. I doubt that it would help the AAC's cause much, but if nothing else, it would remind everyone around the country that we are the G5 heavyweight and have the resources, facilities, revenue, markets, and brand to compete (and win) at the highest level.

Reaction Score
The TV money is exponentially better in a P5 conference. Doesn't matter if you can match their results on the fields and courts. If you can't break away from the g5, in terms of TV dollars, you will never be respected.

I really appreciate Mike Aresco’s efforts. What he is trying to do is a concept that seemed foreign to Marinatto. Tell your story and pimp your accomplishments. You won two national titles in basketballs and a bcs game. Tell people about it till they're tired of hearing it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The AAC's only chance for survival and acceptance at the adult's table is for the existing P5 conference's to get their autonomy and then have the conference's start voting as block's to advance legislation. Then they need the conference's who are getting c o c k blocked to realize they need more votes to get their way. So the existing P5 conferernces without the votes push to get the American included with the nod/wink that the American can be counted on to vote a certain way. Of course the P5 conferences with the voting power will see right through the scheme and block it. So, the American is screwed. It's basically the illegal immigrants of college football.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, ESPiN will not help whatsoever in the AAC's fight to be recognized as a power conference. They own the AAC content for chicken scratch so that they can drive viewership to their other conferences: the ACC and SEC. The AAC has many schools that play within the boundaries of those two conferences so it's in ESPiN's best interest to devalue anything AAC so that it can make a higher return on their larger investments.

The AAC is in this fight alone. Well, maybe other G5 conferences will want to join in and declare themselves as power conferences and cite the AAC as the model. But if the AAC is looking for fair representation from the worldwide leader in awful sports journalism, they will be disappointed.

What I would like to see is UCONN taking a very active and vocal role in promoting the AAC as a power conference. We are the G5 heavyweight, along with BYU. I doubt that it would help the AAC's cause much, but if nothing else, it would remind everyone around the country that we are the G5 heavyweight and have the resources, facilities, revenue, markets, and brand to compete (and win) at the highest level.

Dooley, I agree with what you are saying. At the same time, I also agree with what ESPN is saying. If anyone in the AAC received a P5 invite, do you think it would be turned down? Of course not. Half of the AAC has actively spoke out about its desire to join a Power 5 Conference. The other half of the AAC is just thanking its lucky stars that it is no longer in what became of its previous conference (the current version of Conference USA).

The problem with the AAC lies in the fact that the top schools are looking for a way out and the bottom feeders are tickled pink just to be there.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Remember for a vast majority of the college sports media it doesn't matter what happened in the last 12 months, or even 10 years, it matters if you were good when Adolf Rupp and Ara Parseghian were still on the side lines. This is doubly so for college football.

Drew

Reaction Score
So, the American is screwed. It's basically the illegal immigrants of college football.

Well if we're the illegal immigrants of college football shouldn't that mean that Emmert will let us join the P5 and get all the access to the great bowls and everything without paying a dime back to the NCAA? All we have to do is walk to the Orange Bowl and we're in! Sounds like a great deal to me!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley, I agree with what you are saying. At the same time, I also agree with what ESPN is saying. If anyone in the AAC received a P5 invite, do you think it would be turned down? Of course not. Half of the AAC has actively spoke out about its desire to join a Power 5 Conference. The other half of the AAC is just thanking its lucky stars that it is no longer in what became of its previous conference (the current version of Conference USA).

The problem with the AAC lies in the fact that the top schools are looking for a way out and the bottom feeders are tickled pink just to be there.

Agreed. I'm not lobbying for the AAC to be included in the power conference structure as much as I am for UCONN to be included. All I'm saying is that the more people debate it, the more the P5 conferences will get mad/greedy and gut the AAC. They've fought hard to try to run a monopoly of who can/can't play at the highest level and, in turn, make money. As soon as there is a threat to the bottom line, action will take place. So with that in mind...

Yeehaw! The AAC is a P6 Conference! BCS win over B12 champion Baylor and dual national basketball championships! What other conference can say that? That's right...none. Go AAC! Newport Clam Bake is the best!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last night on College Football Live on ESPN, at the end of the show, they talked about where the AAC fits in the grand scheme of things and said its ultimately a conference for schools waiting for an invite to the P5. The specific example listed was Houston wanting to join the Big 12.

I heard that yesterday too. I had to laugh. Even the newest kid is looking to move out immediately. Not that it should surprise anyone that Houston or SMU would bolt for the Big12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

.I suspect that people would be much happier being in. the AAC if ESPN was paying a competitive amount for our media rights. Being in. the AAC is a death sentence given the arms race that is big time college sports. Change that and the like of moving to another conferenc deminishes. Right now it's not a sustainable option.

pj

Reaction Score
The AAC's only chance for survival and acceptance at the adult's table is for the existing P5 conference's to get their autonomy and then have the conference's start voting as block's to advance legislation. Then they need the conference's who are getting c o c k blocked to realize they need more votes to get their way. So the existing P5 conferernces without the votes push to get the American included with the nod/wink that the American can be counted on to vote a certain way. Of course the P5 conferences with the voting power will see right through the scheme and block it. So, the American is screwed. It's basically the illegal immigrants of college football.

Heh. You start off with the idea that the P5 conferences without the votes will somehow be able to compel the P5 conferences with voting control to accept the AAC as a power conference, an outcome which would dilute the power and money of both blocs. Then by the end you start to realize it doesn't make sense.

The last analogy is poor though. Illegal immigrants do have plenty of advocates and supporters. It's only legal immigrants who are screwed.

Reaction Score
Since AAC Media Days were held in RI this year where we don't have a team, maybe we should hold them in Ann Arbor or Chapel Hill next year. I'm sure either one has a nice enough country club.

Drew

Reaction Score
ESPNU just played a clip from Aresco's speech this morning and Luginbill said that the American isn't a power conference because "that's just the way it is". Direct quote from this guys mouth. Right after playing a clip of Aresco talking about our national championships and BCS bowl win from last year. This is asinine.

Reaction Score
ESPNU just played a clip from Aresco's speech this morning and Luginbill said that the American isn't a power conference because "that's just the way it is". Direct quote from this guys mouth. Right after playing a clip of Aresco talking about our national championships and BCS bowl win from last year. This is asinine.
Luginbill would be perfectly happy to be only commenting on the "P5" &having the rest of FBS falling off of the map. He doesn't realize that he was hired to comment on all of FBS. He also is a rabble rouser in the classic sense.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of that TV or movie clip where everyone's whispering "rabble rabble rabble" and can't come up with it. Damn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of that TV or movie clip where everyone's whispering "rabble rabble rabble" and can't come up with it. Damn.
Starts with South and ends with Park.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Heh. You start off with the idea that the P5 conferences without the votes will somehow be able to compel the P5 conferences with voting control to accept the AAC as a power conference, an outcome which would dilute the power and money of both blocs. Then by the end you start to realize it doesn't make sense.

The last analogy is poor though. Illegal immigrants do have plenty of advocates and supporters. It's only legal immigrants who are screwed.

yeah, but I condensed what would have been 50 posts and three pages of back and forth in to one rambling paragraph. You ought to be thankful. And just for fun I used the last sentence to take it off topic and threw in a comment that would have gotten the whole threated booted over to the cesspool.

Reactions: pj

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I saw a bit of that Media Day show on ESPNU. They did a spot on the American. Then followed up with a spot for about the same amount of time with the coach of Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom