Aresco on Sirius 3:30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco on Sirius 3:30

Reaction Score
Understood, but the recruiting aspect is not just about the player, its about the ability of a coaching staff to increase productivity. If I am any of the B12 teams, I'm much more interested in visiting UCF every other year than East Hartford just because it brings my program to FL where there are far more D1 prospects and HS coaches to shake hands with during the trip. I don't see how the B12 schools don't enhance their talent prospects by having to spend more time in the state. The biggest reason I like us playing OOC games with Maryland and Virginia schools is to keep us somewhere in the mid atlantic news story.
Any P5 school that wants to get into Florida, can easily sign a home and away series with any number of Florida schools.

If Texas wants to get into Florida for games, play 2 games at FAU and 4 at home. Texas doesn't "need" the money games.

They can play home and aways with USF/UCF now if they wanted to.

It's harder for us to schedule P5 teams, so I don't disagree with your argument that we should continue to try and play games in the DMV, but Big 12 schools have different motivations, more recruiting advantages, and much more leverage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Any P5 school that wants to get into Florida, can easily sign a home and away series with any number of Florida schools.

If Texas wants to get into Florida for game, Play 2 games at FAU and 4 at home. Texas doesn't "need" the money games.

They can play home and aways with USF/UCF now if they wanted to.

It's harder for us to schedule P5 teams, so I don't disagree with your argument that we should continue to try and play games in the DMV, but Big 12 schools have different motivations, more recruiting advantages, and much more leverage.

In the context of adding schools to the B12, any B12 coach would rather add a FL school vs a New England school because it simply puts their program in a space that is more talent rich (are more similar culturally - when in the rural FL areas) which is more productive than coming up here. The coaching is going to be supportive of a FL add.

Reaction Score
In the context of adding schools to the B12, any B12 coach would rather add a FL school vs a New England school because it simply puts their program in a space that is more talent rich (are more similar culturally - when in the rural FL areas) which is more productive than coming up here. The coaching is going to be supportive of a FL add.
But...they aren't under any obligation to add a school, they can get that production without creating additional competition, and any production gained IMO is far more likely to be offset by the additional competition not only from the school(s) added, but the rest of the conference.

The decision to add a school comes down to money. The supposed recruiting advantage gained is not only difficult to prove, it's so significantly less important to money, that it's similar to mentioning our Women's BB team as a reason to be attractive to P5 schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The decision to add a school comes down to money. The supposed recruiting advantage gained is not only difficult to prove, it's so significantly less important to money, that it's similar to mentioning our Women's BB team as a reason to be attractive to P5 schools.
Of course its about money. And the way to expand their money pool is to add FL.

But after that fact, internally (the coaches) there will be support to add FL, just like there was no support from southern ACC football school coaches to add UConn. Its nice to have no internal resistance when talking about adding schools.

Reaction Score
Of course its about money. And the way to expand their money pool is to add FL.

Then why didn't they add either of them last time?

I think what we've learned as that the big paydays are gone. The cable companies aren't throwing huge amounts of cash at conferences for adding schools anymore.

There was also no support from southern ACC football schools to add USF/UCF. Because of competition, same reason BCU didn't want UConn in the ACC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Then why didn't they add either of them last time?

Because in the end no school would sign a new GOR because Oklahoma and Texas wanted to keep the option open to leave in 2025. With no long term commitment, the process stopped. Also, Texas was not ready to fold on the Longhorn network.

Reaction Score
Because in the end no school would sign a new GOR because Oklahoma and Texas wanted to keep the option open to leave in 2025. With no long term commitment, the process stopped. Also, Texas was not ready to fold on the Longhorn network.
Well, there was never going to be a long-term commitment, but the point remains, the reason the ACC didn't want UCF/USF is competition, and same with BC/UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well, there was never going to be a long-term commitment, but the point remains, the reason the ACC didn't want UCF/USF is competition, and same with BC/UConn.

?? I thought we are talking about secondary reasons to add UCF/USF to the B12??

Reaction Score
?? I thought we are talking about secondary reasons to add UCF/USF to the B12??
We are/were. But you wrote:
But after that fact, internally (the coaches) there will be support to add FL, just like there was no support from southern ACC football school coaches to add UConn.

So I thought it was understood I was just making an analogy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get that some people want to ride the feel good wave of UCF's Win, but ultimately I agree with you. In the end the only party that truly will benefit from that win is UCF. They can sell winning The Fiesta against Baylor. They can sell Blake Bortles being a top 10 pick. They can sell going undefeated and winning the Peach Bowl against Auburn. How exactly is that anyone's accomplishment other than their own?

As a Penn State Guy I have never been a fan of touting conference pride. The other schools sure as Hell don't lift you up with them when they win, and they are all more than happy to take advantage of you when you are down. Teams rise and fall on their own accomplishments especially in the less established conferences. I've never seen a Boise State Fan pound their chest and chant M-W-C after one of their big bowl wins. They made that happen by building a program and hiring a succession of good coaches. Hopefully UConn can build something like that be it with Randy, Lashlee or some one else.

The idea is that if UConn gets good again, they're going to have to go through programs like UCF. Anything that legitimizes UCF now helps validate improvements by UConn in the future. This whole plan hinges on UConn getting good again.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
All of this is so painfully obvious it’s not funny. Pretty embarrassing to see fellow UConn fans getting a chubby and thumping their chests over this.
UCF is the new Louisville. They DGAS about us, nor should they.

Reaction Score
I’d like the politicians to stay as far away from this as possible.

So true, I believe if Richard BloomingIdiot didn't sue the ACC, I think that we would be in it instead of Louisville. I believe that the ACC would invite the University of Phoenix before they invite us.

I mean, if someone sued you, would you want them as friends?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom