Aresco on Sirius 3:30 | The Boneyard

Aresco on Sirius 3:30

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Channel 84
give us the talking points for those that can't tune in. Looking forward to his response to the National Championship banner

Reaction Score
I only caught the last one or two minutes, but he said this is the trigger to truly pursue a P6 designation. He stated there are a few more things they have to do but he is very confident we will get there soon. He definitely seemed like he had a plan to make something happen. He also said that we were set up for a much better television contract and he wasn’t really wishy-washy on that at all. Based on his confidence level, I’d guess he either has a deal in the works or he plans to take some sort of legal action.

He’s either going to be a hero or a zero when this is over.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I really, really hope Aresco succeeds. I think we are a slightly better football conference than the old Big East. We have a great group of schools that want to be considered big time.

But I remember how the Big East was easily the #1 basketball conference (we lapped the field), and we were usually the #5 football conference per the computers (ahead of the Big 10, the ACC, or both). The other conferences still hated us.

It was a struggle to get respect back then and it's a struggle now. Nothing is easy when you're the "new money" and not part of the old boys' club.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
While it isn't likely to happen, even if Aresco ever does get close to earning the AAC a P6 designation--the P5 cartel (and ESPN) will entice the B12 to expand in order to once again tear apart the AAC/Big East and protect their $ and power. There is too much at stake for the P5 to ever give up the money and control that they have stolen over the past 15 years.

And unfortunately, that will end badly for UConn (it would likely be the B12 adding UCF, USF, Cincy, and Houston to appease the TX politicians).

Reaction Score
I believe there will be a P4 before B12 ever gets to expansion.

Reaction Score
If B12 expansion happens, ESPN will control it. UConn or BYU is in along with a Florida school if they look at markets. They don’t need more Texas exposure and they probably don’t need two FL schools.

The politicians in CT need to be working on this now. It may never come to pass but our state government should be way ahead of everyone else on this. They should be a constant drip on the B12 day after day for eternity. The politician that can claim getting us into the P5 will be enshrined in Bushnell Park. It’s an everyday effort sort of thing. We are from the land of steady habits. All of our competition is from the land of football and bbq. Until we get that, we are screwed.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If B12 expansion happens, ESPN will control it. UConn or BYU is in along with a Florida school if they look at markets. They don’t need more Texas exposure and they probably don’t need two FL schools.

The politicians in CT need to be working on this now. It may never come to pass but our state government should be way ahead of everyone else on this. They should be a constant drip on the B12 day after day for eternity. The politician that can claim getting us into the P5 will be enshrined in Bushnell Park. It’s an everyday effort sort of thing. We are from the land of steady habits. All of our competition is from the land of football and bbq. Until we get that, we are screwed.
The last time government got involved on behalf of UConn it didn't end well. I think it's mainly on us to improve our competitiveness against the other P5 hopefuls.

Reaction Score

I’d like the politicians to stay as far away from this as possible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm filing this tweet under things Whaler would not approve of:

I don’t mind UCF doing that other than about half the American completely sucks most years.

Reaction Score
The hardest PR job that Aresco has is convincing his own conference's fans to support it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The hardest PR job that Aresco has is convincing his own conference's fans to support it.

Well he's lucky he's found UConn fans who have forgotten what's it's like to be left at the altar. Maybe UCF will still schedule UConn if they do a better job of translating their athletic success into conference affiliation.

Danny White might do more than monitor the situation.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Well he's lucky he's found UConn fans who have forgotten what's it's like to be left at the altar. Maybe UCF will still schedule UConn if they do a better job of translating their athletic success into conference affiliation.

Our luck another conference will scoop them up

Reaction Score

I get that some people want to ride the feel good wave of UCF's Win, but ultimately I agree with you. In the end the only party that truly will benefit from that win is UCF. They can sell winning The Fiesta against Baylor. They can sell Blake Bortles being a top 10 pick. They can sell going undefeated and winning the Peach Bowl against Auburn. How exactly is that anyone's accomplishment other than their own?

As a Penn State Guy I have never been a fan of touting conference pride. The other schools sure as Hell don't lift you up with them when they win, and they are all more than happy to take advantage of you when you are down. Teams rise and fall on their own accomplishments especially in the less established conferences. I've never seen a Boise State Fan pound their chest and chant M-W-C after one of their big bowl wins. They made that happen by building a program and hiring a succession of good coaches. Hopefully UConn can build something like that be it with Randy, Lashlee or some one else.

Reaction Score
I get that some people want to ride the feel good wave of UCF's Win, but ultimately I agree with you. In the end the only party that truly will benefit from that win is UCF. They can sell winning The Fiesta against Baylor. They can sell Blake Bortles being a top 10 pick. They can sell going undefeated and winning the Peach Bowl against Auburn. How exactly is that anyone's accomplishment other than their own?

As a Penn State Guy I have never been a fan of touting conference pride. The other schools sure as Hell don't lift you up with them when they win, and they are all more than happy to take advantage of you when you are down. Teams rise and fall on their own accomplishments especially in the less established conferences. I've never seen a Boise State Fan pound their chest and chant M-W-C after one of their big bowl wins. They made that happen by building a program and hiring a succession of good coaches. Hopefully UConn can build something like that be it with Randy, Lashlee or some one else.

All of this is so painfully obvious it’s not funny. Pretty embarrassing to see fellow UConn fans getting a chubby and thumping their chests over this.

Reaction Score
They can’t they have to lean on ESPN and continue to incentivize them.

What, exactly, has incentivizing them done for UConn? Considering they dumped a bunch of employees in CT, and moved some operations out of state (AFTER taking advantage of the "First Five" BS) what has it done for the state in general? The state is broke, ESPN answers to Disney, who doesn't give two scalitos about what incentives CT can offer.

I've never seen a Boise State Fan pound their chest and chant M-W-C after one of their big bowl wins. They made that happen by building a program and hiring a succession of good coaches.

And by having admission standards that rival your local community college, but other than that great post. ;)

Reaction Score
All of this is so painfully obvious it’s not funny. Pretty embarrassing to see fellow UConn fans getting a chubby and thumping their chests over this.

I disagree with this because I think in the upcoming round of ACC realignment (unlike the last one -- flipping Louisville!), immediately recent on field performance in football will be much less of a driver than institutional metrics and long-term potential. The upcoming round will reset the college athletic landscape for at least a generation. Leagues will want schools that will help them well into the future, not some hot flavor of the month that is not positioned to succeed for the next 25-50 years.

UConn has this advantage already over most, if not all, of their G5 brethren right now. Those who would oppose them are the northeast NIMBYs and the flavor of the month crowd. The northeast NIMBYs' arguments can be countered by convincing them that adding UConn would be beneficial to all in the long run. The flavor of the month crowd can be countered if the perception of UConn league continues to improve and we started doing better in it.

If its the B1G that comes knocking, they already have a history of regarding institutional metrics/potential over on-field success (Rutgers, Maryland).

For now, "a rising tide lifts all boats" applies. Congrats to UCF!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is probably not the right thread for this comment - but here goes.

While I no longer think the B12 will implode in 2025 because there simply won't be the money to move teams to fellow power conferences (or the will for many tertiary reasons). I do think that they will renew the GOR as long as a deal can be made on the Longhorn network. And in that process, I could see some junior members added such as UCF (by junior, they will get far less $$ than the current members).

However, FL was always going to be a leading choice over UConn regardless of on field play. Its the Rutgers situation all over again with demographics/cable boxes/media options being superior - especially when you look at the long run trends. UCF would need to play .300 football for six years straight before I would eliminate them as a serious B12 candidate. Too much recruiting and market gain to be had. UCF will be the B12's "Rutger's dandy" in 2025.

So for this reason, I'm all about making the American a P6 conference and doing whatever can be done to keep the B12 as is.

Reaction Score
This is probably not the right thread for this comment - but here goes.

While I no longer think the B12 will implode in 2025 because there simply won't be the money to move teams to fellow power conferences (or the will for many tertiary reasons). I do think that they will renew the GOR as long as a deal can be made on the Longhorn network. And in that process, I could see some junior members added such as UCF (by junior, they will get far less $$ than the current members).

However, FL was always going to be a leading choice over UConn regardless of on field play. Its the Rutgers situation all over again with demographics/cable boxes/media options being superior - especially when you look at the long run trends. UCF would need to play .300 football for six years straight before I would eliminate them as a serious B12 candidate. Too much recruiting and market gain to be had. UCF will be the B12's "Rutger's dandy" in 2025.

So for this reason, I'm all about making the American a P6 conference and doing whatever can be done to keep the B12 as is.
I agree with you that the Florida schools are probably higher up on the wish-list, however, this "recruiting" reason doesn't hold up to criticism.

If a kid's most important factor in where he picks a school is the ability to play in front of family and friends, he's not going to pick Texas because they play one game at UCF every other year, over UCF who plays 6 home games a season.

Driving from Miami to Tallahasee is as far a drive as DC to UConn. Kids can get away from home AND stay "in-state".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree with you that the Florida schools are probably higher up on the wish-list, however, this "recruiting" reason doesn't hold up to criticism.

If a kid's most important factor in where he picks a school is the ability to play in front of family and friends, he's not going to pick Texas because they play one game at UCF every other year, over UCF who plays 6 home games a season.

Driving from Miami to Tallahasee is as far a drive as DC to UConn. Kids can get away from home AND stay "in-state".

Understood, but the recruiting aspect is not just about the player, its about the ability of a coaching staff to increase productivity. If I am any of the B12 teams, I'm much more interested in visiting UCF every other year than East Hartford just because it brings my program to FL where there are far more D1 prospects and HS coaches to shake hands with during the trip. I don't see how the B12 schools don't enhance their talent prospects by having to spend more time in the state. The biggest reason I like us playing OOC games with Maryland and Virginia schools is to keep us somewhere in the mid atlantic news story.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom