Aresco Finally Mentioned Us | The Boneyard

Aresco Finally Mentioned Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sick to my stomach reading that. Christ we are doomed if we stay here. We'd be like a rich man's Ohio Univ.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Romy and Michelle feel honored. How about naming them "most likely to succeed or secede"?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oh man, what a punch to the gut.

Aresco just crumbled one of my two tea leaves. I always wanted to believe that there was something in the works for Uconn because he never prominently mentioned us in his usual PR appearances. Now I just have the absence of any new B1G and ACC OOC football games as my only other tea leaf. Oh, and the mystery surrounding the ratification of the new TV contract and confirmation if said contract includes Basketball.

I'm just going to hope that Katz had him cornered and so he had to get specific and talk about us.

Reaction Score
I don't know. The way I read that is Aresco is trying to convince us to stay. Like "We're not so bad guys. Why don't you hang out for a while. We'll grow on you. You'll see."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't know. The way I read that is Aresco is trying to convince us to stay. Like "We're not so bad guys. Why don't you hang out for a while. We'll grow on you. You'll see."

Okay, I'll go with your analysis. I'll sleep better.

Reaction Score
Hardly. He means we are stuck. And is trying to convince us to make the best of a sandwich

Reaction Score
I still think we got a shot at being Boise east. Dominate the conference, open up the offense, play a couple of big boy schools per year and win at least one of them.

If we can't go at least 9-3, 10-2 or better every year, starting in 2014, then I can see us just fading into severe mediocrity.

I'm trying to temper my expectations regarding CR so if something great happens along the way that would be awesome, but for me it's time to get closer to reality.

But if 10-2 or 11-1 with sell out crowds, which I believe we will get with these numbers, is what we are left with, then I can live with it.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
That's kinda what I thought too but I'm a bit of an optimist!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'd rather be an optimist about this than like some UConn fans who see nothing but doom and gloom all the time. Life is too short to think like that all the time.

Still think the B1G calls

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't ever want to hear what an empty suit like Mike Aresco thinks is best for UConn.

We're stuck in that failure monkey's conference at the moment, but God, every time he opens his mouth, dumb comes flying out...

"This is the best place for (UConn and Cincinnati),'' said Aresco. "Look at the Pac-12, the Big Ten, the SEC and the ACC and the footprints those have. We're not geographically different than anyone else.''

Jesus, what a buffoon. Like our "footprint" means anything, Mr. Heap Big TV Man.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
"This is the best place for (UConn and Cincinnati),'' said Aresco.

Meanwhile both schools are trying to get out of Dodge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ps-new-big-east-conference-college-basketball

Firstly, he didn't actually say UConn - Katz put that in there with the parentheses - but presumably he was speaking about us and Cincinnati. Secondly, who calls Storrs as Hartford-area and being metropolitan? I didn't go to UConn but perhaps the alumni on the board can regale us with their great stories of going out in Hartford for a big night on the town while in undergrad?

Reaction Score
Until UConn proves to the ACC and the B1G that they have a football team that can compete with the top 30 or so programs this is the best place for them. The best option now is to indeed become the next Boise St or TCU. Load up on the non conference schedule as best you can(even if that means road trips west) and then dominate the league your in and guarantee yourself a bowl game to play in. Any bowl game is better than no bowl game. As conference realignment evolves so will the A-12(or whatever it's going to be called) and so will UConn's opportunities. Right now UConn needs to win football games, not further alienate any potential conference partners(no more law suits please), increase it's endowment & it's fan base. Also, it wouldn't hurt if UConn changes the perception that their fans don't travel well. Bottom line.....win and win a lot!

Reaction Score
Until UConn proves to the ACC and the B1G that they have a football team that can compete with the top 30 or so programs this is the best place for them. !
Yes that will really matter. Just like it did with Rutgers Maryland Pitt And Syracuse. They were perennially top 25 football programs before they left for the B1G and ACC.

Reaction Score
Fade into mediocrity?
LOL Where exactly do you think U conn football is now?

Reaction Score

Co-stanza.

Reaction Score
Fade into mediocrity?
LOL Where exactly do you think U conn football is now?

The irony of your statement makes it easy to just keep driving by. Even BCU fans trash talk has become mediocre.

Reaction Score
Just add bacon... it makes everything taste better.

Except bacon. You don't have to take my word either. Reasoning's very own gold standard, Homer Simpson, cleared this up.

"Don't discourage the boy, weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel."

Reaction Score
I don't ever want to hear what an empty suit like Mike Aresco thinks is best for UConn.

We're stuck in that failure monkey's conference at the moment, but God, every time he opens his mouth, dumb comes flying out...

"This is the best place for (UConn and Cincinnati),'' said Aresco. "Look at the Pac-12, the Big Ten, the SEC and the ACC and the footprints those have. We're not geographically different than anyone else.''

Jesus, what a buffoon. Like our "footprint" means anything, Mr. Heap Big TV Man.

What do you want him to say?

"Obviously UConn and Cincinnati would be better off leaving no matter what I say or do. Even if I got a decent TV deal, they're going to bolt as quickly as humanly possible."

You have to at least pretend to have some control of your destiny, even when you don't.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Firstly, he didn't actually say UConn - Katz put that in there with the parentheses - but presumably he was speaking about us and Cincinnati. Secondly, who calls Storrs as Hartford-area and being metropolitan? I didn't go to UConn but perhaps the alumni on the board can regale us with their great stories of going out in Hartford for a big night on the town while in undergrad?
No he didn't. We're really the flagship program and he has yet to put us out there. I used to view him as stuck in a bad spot but I'm really beginning to dislike the man and his blatant disregard of us.

Reaction Score
I find it ironic that many of the posters who attack Aresco are silent as to expressing negative opinions of UConn's leadership during realignment.

We're scolded that Herbst and Manuel inherited the mess, they've only been on the job for a year, they can't control the actions of other confetences, what do you want them to do, and on and on and on.

Yet Aresco inherited a mess, has only been on the job for a short while, and is powerless to prevent defections, including RU, Lville and the C7.

He is left with largely third tier schools athetically and trying to sell them to a numb market.

I'd rather the vigor of attack more constructively be placed to encourage UConn's leadership to double down on their efforts to secure UConn's athletic future, because I have news for you, no one outside UConn, including Aresco, has that description in their job title.

Reaction Score
I still think we got a shot at being Boise east. Dominate the conference, open up the offense, play a couple of big boy schools per year and win at least one of them.

If we can't go at least 9-3, 10-2 or better every year, starting in 2014, then I can see us just fading into severe mediocrity.
I'm trying to temper my expectations regarding CR so if something great happens along the way that would be awesome, but for me it's time to get closer to reality.

But if 10-2 or 11-1 with sell out crowds, which I believe we will get with these numbers, is what we are left with, then I can live with it.

I would love this, but even in this league its going to be tough to churn out records like that. Two schools, from Florida, Two schools from Texas. We are going to have turn it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom