Aresco did it again <sigh>... | The Boneyard

Aresco did it again <sigh>...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From a story posted on UCFSports.com:

>>Aresco also spoke at-length about teams in the league and how he feels UCF will be one of the "future cornerstones" of The American.

"What we do on the field and on the court will define us," Aresco said. "Look at UCF and what George (O'Leary) has done. Look at the potential at USF and the potential for this rivalry. This is what's going to build this conference. I think we've got top-of-the-line basketball already, especially with Louisville in the conference for another year. I think we've got 5-6 tournament teams.

"In football we're the sleeping giant with Cincinnati, the two Texas schools, the two Florida schools, Navy, East Carolina. We're going to get greater exposure than ever before. People will see what great programs we have. I think we're going to be in position to challenge those five other conferences. We still think we can do that. We're not pretending that we're the SEC or Big Ten, but nobody else is in that sense. Look at the Big 12, PAC-12, ACC. We've had a good ranking with our teams. We want to compete and we'll have that opportunity."<<

Blacksheep1.jpg

Reaction Score
Football and Navy in the same reference? OMG. Is he delusional of just really, really patriotic?

Reaction Score
You mean OUR 5-7 UConn Football team. You want him to promote us?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
WTF? Anyone in their right mind would showcase us. Does he know something that we don't?
I keep hoping he's not as big an as he comes across when it comes to us. My bet is SH told him that when we get a chance we're so outta here and he's ticked about it. Now reality is we may be stuck in the AAC for a loooonnnnnnggggg time so he should suck it up and be promoting us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nah Pudge I actually mean this university:
UConn owns more MBB national championships than any other university that was affiliated with the Big East. No other program can match our 3 NCs since 1999. In football we won our conference twice and went to BCS game despite playing at the BCS level for less than 10 years. Even in down year for us we still had 5 players drafted to the NFL. A lot of programs who have been playing longer can't match that. The WBB team has an incredible 8 NCs and counting. We own two NC in soccer and two more in Field Hockey. We just won the Big East Conference in track, and our baseball team had a deep run in the post season last year. Of course you know that we are joining Hockey East and have just hired an outstanding young coach who we think will lead us into being very competitive there. I could go on but let's just say that things have never looked brighter for the our teams and our athletes.

Academically the university is shining as well. We are well established as the number one university in New England, and of course we have an incredible presence in NYC. Our state legislature is committed to investing in the school to continue its meteoric rise academically.

So to sum up, I guess I can't really say why UConn wasn't chosen in the most recent round of conference realignment, but what I can say is the University of Connecticut has long stood for excellence on the field and in the classroom. That's who we are. I have every confidence that will continue regardless of how conference realignment plays out."

Reaction Score
I keep hoping he's not as big an as he comes across when it comes to us. My bet is SH told him that when we get a chance we're so outta here and he's ticked about it. Now reality is we may be stuck in the AAC for a loooonnnnnnggggg time so he should suck it up and be promoting us.

What do you think this is? Bigtime Athletics is not like the conversation your having in Rentschler's stands. You can call me a all you want ... just please tell me that you didn't get a UConn degree because you can't write a grammatical sentence.

Reaction Score
Nah Pudge I actually mean this university:

And the QUOTE > SPECIFICALLY references Football. So, unless you have a good comeback: we are a two time 5-7 NO BOWL Football team in recent history.

CL82

Reaction Score
What do you think this is? Bigtime Athletics is not like the conversation your having in Rentschler's stands. You can call me a all you want ... just please tell me that you didn't get a UConn degree because you can't write a grammatical sentence.

...well you did offer it Pudge.

CL82

Reaction Score
And the QUOTE > SPECIFICALLY references Football. So, unless you have a good comeback: we are a two time 5-7 NO BOWL Football team in recent history.
But my original QUOTE didn't .

So...
...well you did offer it Pudge. (really I have to make this my signature). ;)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

>>Aresco also spoke at-length about teams in the league and how he feels UCF will be one of the "future cornerstones" of The American.

"What we do on the field and on the court will define us," Aresco said. "Look at UCF and what George (O'Leary) has done. Look at the potential at USF and the potential for this rivalry. This is what's going to build this conference. I think we've got top-of-the-line basketball already, especially with Louisville in the conference for another year. I think we've got 5-6 tournament teams.

Last I checked this part of his quote is about BASKETBALL. Yet no mention of UConn....he mentions Louisville who is here for one year only because it has to. But sure, ignore the school that will keep this worthless conference relevant. What an idiot, especially since, according to the media, realignment is done so UConn ain't going anywhere.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I kinda really like that he didn't mention UCONN. Not with regard to football, or basketball. Nada. It can only mean that he can't pump UCONN as king of the conference because he knows we're outta here. He doesn't want to answer any questions a year or so (whenever) we're gone and he's asked "I thought you said UCONN..." Also, the less we're mentioned as AAC member, with a little more smoke and mirrors we can pretend we're not. These are not the droids you're looking for.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I kinda really like that he didn't mention UCONN. Not with regard to football, or basketball. Nada. It can only mean that he can't pump UCONN as king of the conference because he knows we're outta here. He doesn't want to answer any questions a year or so (whenever) we're gone and he's asked "I thought you said UCONN..." Also, the less we're mentioned as AAC member, with a little more smoke and mirrors we can pretend we're not. These are not the droids you're looking for.
I hear what you're saying but where are we going? Honestly, it's probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Secondly, he had no problem mentioning Louisville who's gone in a year. I know we're desperate for any sign but I'd really love to know why he is really snubbing us...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think he just likes lousiville. He was singing their praises a day or two before they announced they were heading to the ACC, he's doing it during their lame duck season, and i'm sure he's going to get season tickets so he can watch them play Duke.

In unrelated news i wish i had a billy club and was within striking distance of Aresco.

Reaction Score
I'm with the original poster on this. Something is really up. It could be that Aresco has received very little help from UConn in actually promoting the conference. Something smells incredibly fishy here. This omission happens again and again and again. Why even mention Louisville? That screams small time. Which I guess is Aresco's middle name. This clown is sweeping me into the -the-AAC contingent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, no...by all means, promote the other diddly-f--- schools in this conference.

Any time you can remind people that you have the eighth and ninth best schools in Texas, you have to do it. And Navy, the people need to know that we have Navy - which is almost as good as having, like, the fifth-best school in Carolina. Hey, we have that, too!

I'm on your side here.

Reaction Score
What did you expect? Ozymandias is our coach, he sucks. Only really bad teams in BCS don't go to bowls.

"In football we're the sleeping giant with Cincinnati, the two Texas schools, the two Florida schools, Navy, East Carolina. We're going to get greater exposure than ever before. People will see what great programs we have. I think we're going to be in position to challenge those five other conferences. We still think we can do that. We're not pretending that we're the SEC or Big Ten, but nobody else is in that sense. Look at the Big 12, PAC-12, ACC. We've had a good ranking with our teams. We want to compete and we'll have that opportunity."<<

View attachment 2935

Reaction Score
If he was interviewed by a UCF coorespondent for UCFSports, why wouldn't he give the school accolades in their own newspaper. They are in rich fertile recruiting area, so it won't surprise me if they do quitye well in the AAC. Heck, they did ok against some of the southern BIG BOYS when they recruited as members of C-USA.

He had to at least pump the league to make it sound like they weren't making a lateral move. Why wouldn't he highlight the possitives........Louisville NC in basketball, Louisville probably in top 10 in football.

It was a feel good article for UCF fans.......could care less if he mentioned a 5-7 UConn team or Temple, Memphis, Toulane. USF will be a great regional rivalry, Texas schools in another rich recruiting area.

He highlighted the few positives there are (as of the conclusion of '12-13 seasons) for the AAC for the fans of a new member. What else is he going to say........welcome to our crappy conference?

Reaction Score
If he was interviewed by a UCF coorespondent for UCFSports, why wouldn't he give the school accolades in their own newspaper. They are in rich fertile recruiting area, so it won't surprise me if they do quitye well in the AAC. Heck, they did ok against some of the southern BIG BOYS when they recruited as members of C-USA.

He had to at least pump the league to make it sound like they weren't making a lateral move. Why wouldn't he highlight the possitives........Louisville NC in basketball, Louisville probably in top 10 in football.

It was a feel good article for UCF fans.......could care less if he mentioned a 5-7 UConn team or Temple, Memphis, Toulane. USF will be a great regional rivalry, Texas schools in another rich recruiting area.

He highlighted the few positives there are (as of the conclusion of '12-13 seasons) for the AAC for the fans of a new member. What else is he going to say........welcome to our crappy conference?
You make good points about catering to the audience of the interviewer and also about pumping up the league. However, the subtle point UConn fans are making is; "This (UConn) omission happens again and again and again." So if this was a Memphis audience, he would mention them and everyone else but UConn, or if this was a Houston audience, everyone but UConn, again. At least, that is what "seems" to be happening. This is why many of us posters are puzzled. So the conclusion is, he is either intelligent and purposeful of our omission, or dumb and incompetent. Some of us give him the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom