Are you content with just being good? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are you content with just being good?

Reaction Score
Winning 20 games before the Big East tourney is all I ask right now. Bad weeks do happen it’s a matter of how you respond.
and then what? We go 21-11 and are an 8 seed again like last year? Lose in the first round again? I’m glad you set your expectations so low but I thought this year would be different and we could win a few games in the tournament. If this past 2 weeks stretch is any indication we’re not even going to make the tournament.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna be honest I think some of you are. I won’t mention any names but it does feel that there are posters who care more about overreactive posts then they do about UConn winning.

Do you want UConn to be great again or are you just like ehh UConn is good their in the tournament and I’m content with that.
I have been saying this for 2 years. That is the predominant view.

Reaction Score
I got blasted last week by suggesting the program and DH are mediocre. I’m a boomer and lived through the championship caliber teams and consistently challenging for league titles and Natties.

IMO 15-5 (now 6) and barely hanging onto a top-25 ranking is mediocre. Some see it otherwise, that’s fine. It sure was fun though being up there with the blue bloods and having a legit argument that we were better.

Here’s to hoping we get there again some day.

Reaction Score
Its like asking are you satisfied with just climbing half way up that Championship Mountain that you fell off of?

Reaction Score
I’m gonna be honest I think some of you are. I won’t mention any names but it does feel that there are posters who care more about overreactive posts then they do about UConn winning.

Do you want UConn to be great again or are you just like ehh UConn is good their in the tournament and I’m content with that.
Do you really believe that anyone on here is settling and content with this team? Not me

Reaction Score
We are who we are. Dislike or like, reality. Outside of Hawkins, I do not expect anything from the bench. Polley can't be counted on. He actually makes me just as nervous as Gaffney at this point.

I do think we still can be an underdog and upset a good team in NCAA's. But we have to get better with coaching preparation and adjustments.

Reaction Score
Our ceiling is good with Hurley. But in year 4, we're not even that.

If we want to get back to contending for championships, then we need a new coach. Hurley isn't the guy.
I couldn’t disagree more. There is certainly no guarantees and Hurley may never get us to the championship but I think the team is trending in a positive enough direction to think there is a chance. Would you have only given Calhoun 4 years? Or did you know it would take him 13 years so you were ok with it?

Reaction Score
I got blasted last week by suggesting the program and DH are mediocre. I’m a boomer and lived through the championship caliber teams and consistently challenging for league titles and Natties.

IMO 15-5 (now 6) and barely hanging onto a top-25 ranking is mediocre. Some see it otherwise, that’s fine. It sure was fun though being up there with the blue bloods and having a legit argument that we were better.

Here’s to hoping we get there again some day.
See I think that is the standard we should have, and I do believe the majority have those standards, making the sweet 16 within 4-5 years shouldn’t be viewed as a miracle when mid majors with 1st year head coaches do it every year.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that anyone on here is settling and content with this team? Not me
No but I felt it was time to step on some toes to get a reaction and I’m generally pleased with the reactions. Now I’m hoping this thread can be a slump buster.

Reaction Score
and then what? We go 21-11 and are an 8 seed again like last year? Lose in the first round again? I’m glad you set your expectations so low but I thought this year would be different and we could win a few games in the tournament. If this past 2 weeks stretch is any indication we’re not even going to make the tournament.
I would actually prefer a 10-12 seed then an 8-9 seed. Just saying right now win 20 then see where we’re at. I think the win over Auburn could a long way so long as we get out of this slump.

Reaction Score
The funniest part of this thread was that he called out people for being content with being good, and then about halfway through was the first one to say he'd settle for good from this team

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I couldn’t disagree more. There is certainly no guarantees and Hurley may never get us to the championship but I think the team is trending in a positive enough direction to think there is a chance. Would you have only given Calhoun 4 years? Or did you know it would take him 13 years so you were ok with it?

Calhoun took a program that was much worse off, I certainly wouldn't have run him off in 4 years. Hurley took over a program that had struggled the previous few years but was still considered one of the better college basketball programs around and wasn't going to have to worry about recruiting good players.

Reaction Score
The funniest part of this thread was that he called out people for being content with being good, and then about halfway through was the first one to say he'd settle for good from this team
Show it I never said that.

Reaction Score
I would actually prefer a 10-12 seed then an 8-9 seed. Just saying right now win 20 then see where we’re at. I think the win over Auburn could a long way so long as we get out of this slump.
I agree on anything but a 8/9. Lol. Gives us a better chance to upset anyone. I'd think Gonzaga and a fully matured Auburn are the only teams that I do not want to face as potential 1 seeds.

Reaction Score
Right now we are literally who URI was when Hurley was there (Decent at best). Pretty sure we are 2-5 against Q1 teams. We were never “good” this year, just being exposed now that we have to play good teams every week now. Without some change from Hurley we are risking not even making the tourney

Reaction Score
No but I felt it was time to step on some toes to get a reaction and I’m generally pleased with the reactions. Now I’m hoping this thread can be a slump buster.
Oh ok. I suppose lol

Reaction Score
Key word right now, pretty sure you have to win 20 before you win more. No where does it say content with being good.
If getting to 20 wins is all you're asking for right now, you are by definition content with us simply being a good team

Reaction Score
I’m going to guess your weren’t around at the time, because, and no disrespect, but this is the dumbest post of all time. He took a team that was worse than anything Hurley had, won the NIT in year 2 and went to the Elite 8 in year 4. Won the Big East in Year 4. Hurley has a long way to go to get into Calhoun’s shadow, never mind out of it.

Reaction Score
If getting to 20 wins is all you're asking for right now, you are by definition content with us simply being a good team
Nope 20 wins “right now” is far different then saying you wanna win 20 games overall.

Reaction Score
Right now we’re basically the same exact team as last year. A nice (very early) win against a top 10 team Auburn / USC…. Then proceeded to lose to every other good team we’ve played. I hope it turns out differently but the path is eerily similar. I do not have high hopes for the next few weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let’s revisit this in a month. This team could easily miss the tournament with the upcoming schedule and this level of play.
Or it could put it all together and become a very dangerous team. Revisiting in a month is a good idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom