Are we sleeping on v. Jackson? | The Boneyard

Are we sleeping on v. Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ranking is 77 composite, but it used to be higher. Athleticism will be a detriment for him at the next level, which impacted his ranking. You can get by, even do really well at this level with just low-average athleticism (for a d1 athlete). Not making it through practice was a bad sign. Even in mixtapes he looks a little slow... but that 3 point shot is wet.

he's super skilled and a damn good shooter, in 3 years he could be the next player every team hates. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I bet there are several games where he struggles, several games where he is awesome and several games where we plead with KO to play him more.

We know that KO plays guys who play D. He is too slow to guard 3s and may be too weak to guard 4s. I am high on his long term projection but I imagine this year will be a mixed bag.

Reaction Score
I'm actually not really expecting anything from him at all as a freshman. Nothing against him, but we have 11 scholarship guys and somebody is going to have to sit.

His ticket to the floor lies in his shooting. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like every shooter we've recruited in recent times has underwhelmed as a freshman. It wouldn't be a shock to see the trend reversed, but I'd bet on getting less rather than more from him this season.

Reaction Score
I'm actually not really expecting anything from him at all as a freshman. Nothing against him, but we have 11 scholarship guys and somebody is going to have to sit.

His ticket to the floor lies in his shooting. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like every shooter we've recruited in recent times has underwhelmed as a freshman. It wouldn't be a shock to see the trend reversed, but I'd bet on getting less rather than more from him this season.

I guess I am just arguing to argue, as I had the same thoughts on Outlook for the season, but what recent shooter was as highly regarded?

Reaction Score
I guess I am just arguing to argue, as I had the same thoughts on Outlook for the season, but what recent shooter was as highly regarded?

Not sure any of them have been highly regarded as Jackson. Some guys, like Coombs and Roscoe, were billed as shooters but didn't turn out to be. Jackson is probably a cut above that, but even looking at guys like Daniels, Shabazz, Lamb, etc., none of them shot it particularly well as a freshman (Lamb came on late but still topped out around 33%, IIRC).

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Can any1 confirm if Vance has made it through a full practice yet?

Once he strings a few full practices together then maybe we can unsleep on him

All kidding aside he will be a contributor and we better hope that he can stroke it as advertised. I'm a little concerned over our outside shooting this year, we'll need his shot and spacing off the bench

Reaction Score
This isn't scottie haralson we are talking about, jackson has been one the best shooters in california since he was a freshman. I have no idea how he will hold up defensively, the determining factor of his minute allotment, but there are only 4 cemented major minute getters atm --- larrier, adams, purvis and AB. IMO i see gilbert soaking up near starter level minutes, so diarra/facey/durham/enoch/jackson will be battling for key rotation minutes. Its VERY intriguing that durham enoch and jackson can all space the floor.

Reaction Score
I bet there are several games where he struggles, several games where he is awesome and several games where we plead with KO to play him more.

I bet there are several games the boneyard crucifies him, several games the boneyard praises him and several games where the boneyard thinks they can coach better than KO.

Reaction Score
Not sure any of them have been highly regarded as Jackson. Some guys, like Coombs and Roscoe, were billed as shooters but didn't turn out to be. Jackson is probably a cut above that, but even looking at guys like Daniels, Shabazz, Lamb, etc., none of them shot it particularly well as a freshman (Lamb came on late but still topped out around 33%, IIRC).

Again, not arguing since you admit the differences, but none of these guys were brought in as "pure shooters " The last one I remember was Scottie H and as @James said, these guys weren't remotely similarly regarded.

Vance is a highly analyzed guy who has tons of flaws, yet is still a top 80 kid. And that is for one reason.

Reaction Score
Again, not arguing since you admit the differences, but none of these guys were brought in as "pure shooters " The last one I remember was Scottie H and as @James said, these guys weren't remotely similarly regarded.

Vance is a highly analyzed guy who has tons of flaws, yet is still a top 80 kid. And that is for one reason.

Perhaps it's my general ignorance of all incoming recruits, but how highly is he regarded? I knew he was a shooter, but I agree there is a difference between somebody who is billed as a shooter and somebody who rates as one of the very best shooters in the class.

My hunch is that we're looking at a Christian Watford type player. Am I wrong? Watford may have an inch or two on him, but my overarching point is that even the very best shooters are prone to struggling because it's so much more than just shooting that factors into your percentage (Watford was at 32% as a freshman, FWIW).

Reaction Score
Perhaps it's my general ignorance of all incoming recruits, but how highly is he regarded? I knew he was a shooter, but I agree there is a difference between somebody who is billed as a shooter and somebody who rates as one of the very best shooters in the class.

My hunch is that we're looking at a Christian Watford type player. Am I wrong? Watford may have an inch or two on him, but my overarching point is that even the very best shooters are prone to struggling because it's so much more than just shooting that factors into your percentage (Watford was at 32% as a freshman, FWIW).
i think we are all just very concerned with the 4 spot, and even with how good larrier will be. those two things will decide if we win maui and launch into the top 5. we could easily win maui, there isn't a better backcourt in the field.

Reaction Score
Ranking is 77 composite, but it used to be higher. Athleticism will be a detriment for him at the next level, which impacted his ranking. You can get by, even do really well at this level with just low-average athleticism (for a d1 athlete). Not making it through practice was a bad sign. Even in mixtapes he looks a little slow... but that 3 point shot is wet.

he's super skilled and a damn good shooter, in 3 years he could be the next player every team hates. Thoughts?

Thing is when you got guys like him that lack elite athleticsm they struggle on the defensive end against good quick players so he ends up riding the pines after getting burned a couple times in the game. Then he`ll struggle to score against athletic guys who can defend and he becomes a non factor in big games. He`ll then turn around and put up 25 against lower level teams. obviously i could be wrong but this will likely be the type of player he ends up being.

Reaction Score
Not sure of the automatic "non athletic" vs defense
Thing is when you got guys like him that lack elite athleticsm they struggle on the defensive end against good quick players so he ends up riding the pines after getting burned a couple times in the game. Then he`ll struggle to score against athletic guys who can defend and he becomes a non factor in big games. He`ll then turn around and put up 25 against lower level teams. obviously i could be wrong but this will likely be the type of player he ends up being.

Sorry but a huge assumption Champs no? I mean there have been very successful people who weren't labeled as "athletic" who could both score and defend by using the ultimate gift, intelligence. With your stereotype of him he should have no shot of seeing major minutes at UConn ever?

And then the people who think he may not succeed because he didn't finish the first practice. Are you the same people who said if you suck at distance then you're not in shape? He came in 2nd to AB in the Husky Run FYI. I am guessing there are many of whom we didn't hear of over the years with JC, who thought they were ready for that 1st one or 1st week in general, and they also hit the corner 55GAL Rubbermaid container placed strategically for those a bit short of their own expectations.

Give him a chance people, he's a gifted kid and seemingly smart along with his most obvious of credentials, he can shoot it. He will be a key component at some point because he wants to be!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure of the automatic "non athletic" vs defense

Sorry but a huge assumption Champs no? I mean there have been very successful people who weren't labeled as "athletic" who could both score and defend by using the ultimate gift, intelligence. With your stereotype of him he should have no shot of seeing major minutes at UConn ever?

And then the people who think he may not succeed because he didn't finish the first practice. Are you the same people who said if you suck at distance then you're not in shape? He came in 2nd to AB in the Husky Run FYI. I am guessing there are many of whom we didn't hear of, who thought they were ready for that 1st one or 1st week in general, and they also hit the corner 55GAL Rubbermaid container placed strategically for those a bit short of their own expectations.

Give him a chance people, he's a gifted kid and seemingly smart along with his most obvious of credentials. He will be a key component at some point because he wants to be!
I remember when some of the "experts" were claiming back in 09-10 that the Duke roster was made up of the least athletic team that Coach K ever had. Well, that season ended just fine for them. When you think of a player like Rashad Anderson, athleticism doesnt really come to mind, but he was a great player who hit some huge shots for us during his career. If Vance can shoot the ball anywhere close to the level that they say he can, he will get a good amount of playing time.

Reaction Score
I see him adjusting well to the UConn offense. I predict his playing time will hinge on his level of effort and how effective he can be on defense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If he can rebound, hit the open shot, and give us a nice inside threat I'll be happy. I don't expect anything major. Just improvement as the season goes on and confidence. Anything more is gravy

Reaction Score
Not expecting much out of Vance, coming to school out of shape is not a good sign. The funny thing is we all knew this would happen, he looked worse and worse as the year went on and his ranking continue to drop month after month.

We will really find out how much this kid loves the game of basketball, obviously the talent is there, it's just a matter of hard he wants to work and how great he wants to be.

I would be shocked if Vance turns out to be a big contributor this season.

Let's go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Not expecting much out of Vance, coming to school out of shape is not a good sign. The funny thing is we all knew this would happen, he looked worse and worse as the year went on and his ranking continue to drop month after month.

We will really find out how much this kid loves the game of basketball, obviously the talent is there, it's just a matter of hard he wants to work and how great he wants to be.

Let's go Huskies!!
You were in regular attendance at his games? I also recall his composite ranking being in the 70s when he committed and that's where he ended up at the end of 2016 rankings.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
When's the last time we recruited a pure shooter though? The only one I can remember recently that was supposed to be a good shooter is Cassell, but that obviously didn't turn out well. Jackson is our first recruit in a long time who's primary and lethal skill is shooting, so we'll see.

Reaction Score

Let's go Huskies!!

You seem to be suggesting his rankings drop was a function of attitude, when it was much more likely a function of athleticism.

All I know is someone here linked a couple of Prolific Prep game videos from last year where Vance's performance had been panned and I was pleasantly surprised. He played hard post defense, rebounded well, and showed a good feel for the game. Those were all indications of a good, team-first attitude.

I think Vance will surprise us with his ability to hold his own in the defensive post and on the glass. I think he'll also impress with his ability to help offensive flow, but because of his general feel for the game, not his shooting. I don't see how he could possibly get enough shots to get and stay hot from outside.

But who really knows at this point. It's impossible to tell how everything will shake out at the 4 for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom