Are we sleeping on v. Jackson? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Are we sleeping on v. Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If your "assumption" holds out, then KO really shat the bed...why would he recruit someone to UConn who will be a "non-factor in big games" and only "put up 25 against lower-level" teams? Why was he a consensus 4-star and top 80 recruit if he had all these issues? Sounds like a failure on the part of multiple recruiting services as well.

We all have every right to make assumptions about the team, but if one's made with fuzzy logic don't expect it to go unchallenged.

You are aware that recruiting rankings arent an exact science? There are plenty of 4 star top 80s that dont play to expectations. Dont be so sensitive.

Reaction Score
For his freshman year, that makes sense. The post in question made it seem as if that was what we were getting for four years with Vance, especially since it mentioned "dropping 25 against lower-level teams" -- aside from Brimah putting up 20 and 8 vs. UCF in '14, I can't recall an occasion when Ollie has ever put a freshman in position to rack up those numbers against anyone.
No. I said it was a possibility from what little ive seen and heard of him. Like i said i could be right but i could also be wrong we shall see. Why are you so butthurt over my comment? Seems everyone else doesnt have much of a problem with my OPINION whether they agree or not. Relax

Reaction Score
I first saw Vance Jackson play in person when he was a sophomore, with Hamilton playing center and he was playing power forward and no other tall players on the team. It was the game after they beat J. Oakafor's #1 team in Chicago with the same line up. Jackson was a proficient rebounder against a lineup with size, and physically wasn't a shadow of what he looks like now. Then he plays with a top player in the country last year and shoots 6 or more threes in 8 games. I just don't see the point in saying he can't or won't do something. He might not do it, that's the nature of being a freshman at a high D1 program, but he has played the 4 position against top players, the 3 position against top players, and shot the ball against everybody, why can't he do it against the same players in college?

I like the Rashad comparison with average athleticism and pure shooting without being a prototype position player, and as a designated shooting recruit, Jeremy Lamb was shooting 75% or some awesome stat from 3 in our post season run, regardless of what the full year stats might be. Calhoun had his best year as a freshman and sank big shots in that Georgetown game towards year end. John Gwynn didn't get called 'microwave' for his defense, and Brian Fair had 1 job - shooting beyond the arc. Vance Jackson has a place awaiting him as a designated spot up shooter, and by the way, I have seen him pass well and rebound.

Our problem for these kids is a front loaded schedule and game situations for the team as a group that are 'firsts' for them. There are only so many game situations that can be coached before these early important contests. Inbounds plays with 3 seconds on the shot clock, being pressured in the back court up by 2 with 20 seconds left, or bringing the pressure down by 2, fouling the right opponents, etc etc. Maybe a team has a player overpowering us in some way, the players will be addressing that game situation collectively and may have a 'Diaco' moment on the half yardline, that more experience will overcome.
Looking forward to the day when the term "front loaded" is a thing of the past for UCONN, but you are right it is initiation by fire for these youngsters without a big time conference schedule to rely on. I am beyond excited to see what Vance and the rest of this class plus Larrier has.

Reaction Score
I don't know, there's something about him that makes me question his athleticism. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Vance put one down from deep early in the scrimmage. No hesitation at all. Great to see.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't know, there's something about him that makes me question his athleticism. Can't quite put my finger on it.
I guess this is just another one of your OPINIONS, correct?
I thought he looked good last night

Reaction Score
I guess this is just another one of your OPINIONS, correct?
I thought he looked good last night

I was referring to Giffey, not Jackson, sorry. And I was also joking.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a white men can't jump joke. You learned copy and paste, we will teach you about jokes and the greatness of Selvie next.
whatever super

Reaction Score
After the Sam Cassell era I don't want to jump out the window over exhibition games but dude seems too smart, skilled, and confident to not at the very least max out as a plus role player offensively, ala Niels his senior year. I think getting from the perimeter to the rim is always gonna be a challenge for him off the dribble but he should be able to feast off of kick outs, pick and slips, and 1-2 dribble pull ups. I think it was @champs99and04 who mentioned Christian Watford of Indiana as a comp and I can see that, probably Southerland from Cuse on the lower end.

Reaction Score
@aceboon not only is he potentially the best shooter on the team, he is 6'8 over 230 and an adept passer. he should be a shoe in for a ton of minutes, unless he is just a disaster on defense to start the season (entirely possible, there is a reason scjr was excellent in the exhibitions, he was facing worst athletes).

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Ok we're up now Vanceeeee

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed is that he has long arms and expect he will rebound. His dribble looked OK. The other thing was how quickly he unloaded his shot. Once when covered he quickly moved laterally to get it off and that was good because some players need to be open by a lot to want to shoot, not him. Right now we need 3 point shooters to come through and in my mind Larrier, Alterique and Jalen have got to be a threat because Jackson and Rodney will be covered well. It's one exhibition game but I'm reminded of the first time I saw Donyell and the quality of him as a shooter. Knew it right away, and with Vance it looks that way.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
at the very least max out as a plus role player offensively, ala Niels his senior year. I think getting from the perimeter to the rim is always gonna be a challenge for him off the dribble but he should be able to feast off of kick outs, pick and slips, and 1-2 dribble pull ups.

Eh, Rashad couldn't really get to the tin either. As long as he knows his role, and how to fill it, he'll be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom