2020 Recruiting: - are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!)

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. Cole will be in his 4th year, not a freshman. He averaged 23.5 points per game in his 2nd year. Sharing the ball more against tougher competition, he'll get in the mid teens likely. Whaley's average will go up 4-5 points and cover the rest. Gaffney will probably get an extra bucket as well. I expect Bouk to average about the same number as he's doing in February (19), because his shooting has been red hot and will likely regress a bit over a full season.

I expect Bouk, Adams, and Jackson to absorb most of Vital's lost rebounds. Cole will get his assists. We likely won't replace all his steals, but Cole has a decent knack for it.
Agreed but I think you're way underselling Gaffney. I think he's gonna make a huge leap next year, just listen to Hurley and Bouknight talk about him.

Reaction Score
Agreed but I think you're way underselling Gaffney. I think he's gonna make a huge leap next year, just listen to Hurley and Bouknight talk about him.

I meant a bucket more than his Feb stats, so 8 points per game-ish. I just don't think there will be enough shots for Cole and Bouk to average 15-18, Whaley to be in the double digits, and Gaff to also get there. Unless we play very fast, which we probably should.

Reaction Score
We heard that last year, too. It didn’t happen. If Al returns we’ll have 0.
no we didn't, not like this. hurley brought in 4 freshmen last year and he didnt' fill the last scholly until august when springs reclassed. he never said he wanted to bring in 5,6,7 new guys in a single year. big difference with only 2 freshmen this year. the xavier game was a lifetime ago. it was confirmed last week hurley expects at least 2 more spots to open up, or is he out recruiting 2020 guys just for fun?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
no we didn't, hurley brought in 4 freshmen last year he never said he wanted to bring in 5,6,7 new guys in a single year. big difference with only 2 freshmen this year. the xavier game was a lifetime ago. it was confirmed last week hurley expects at least 2 more spots to open up, including Als. or is he out recruiting 2020 guys just for fun?
I don’t remember it being confirmed last week, where did that come from? Borges??

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
why are we still bumping this thread. uconn has no bagmen and cliff wants the bag

move the !@#$ on

Reaction Score
I don’t remember it being confirmed last week, where did that come from? Borges??

"Prior to Akok’s torn Achilles tendon he suffered in a Feb. 16 win over Memphis, Dan Hurley and his staff were concentrating on a big guard who can shoot and a center and/or power forward to close out the recruiting class for next year’s team."

that's not an opinion it's a fact

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a one-liner, I like that.

But it really ticks me off when anonymous message board posters, with no reason, determine it's o.k. To allege violations that could cost a coach their career. If the poster were a student, would it be o.k. for me to use his real name and say he cheated on his finals and should be thrown out of his school?
C'mon, an unsubstantiated message board comment isn't costing anyone anything. Just take it for what is and have fun with it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I want to understand this. Your theory is Hurley Sr., a basketball coach, raised two sons to follow in his footsteps, but one works for us so he doesn't cheat and the other doesn't so he does?

Could people help me out here? Is that more stupid than assinine or more assinine than stupid?
In the real world, I've known a few brothers who were/are extremely different in regard to morals and subsequent decisions based on those morals. I have two brother's in law, one is a national speaker on information technology, the other is a homeless crackhead.

Reaction Score
In the real world, I've known a few brothers who were/are extremely different in regard to morals and subsequent decisions based on those morals. I have two brother's in law, one is a national speaker on information technology, the other is a homeless crackhead.

Ok, but in this case you’re talking about two brothers who are in the same profession and who are incredibly close, not to mention that one worked for the other for three years.

Reaction Score
Being there is only 1 senior starter this season:
Whose going to replace CV's numbers?
A freshman will not put up those across the board stats

Cole will easily match Vital’s scoring and assists. We’re going to miss Vital’s defense, rebounding, and intensity but let’s not act like we don’t have options to replace him.

Reaction Score
I meant a bucket more than his Feb stats, so 8 points per game-ish. I just don't think there will be enough shots for Cole and Bouk to average 15-18, Whaley to be in the double digits, and Gaff to also get there. Unless we play very fast, which we probably should.
Gotcha.

Reaction Score
Unfortunate for his family/friends if he chooses ASU. They'll all be fast asleep during most of his games.

Reaction Score
no we didn't, not like this. hurley brought in 4 freshmen last year and he didnt' fill the last scholly until august when springs reclassed. he never said he wanted to bring in 5,6,7 new guys in a single year. big difference with only 2 freshmen this year. the xavier game was a lifetime ago. it was confirmed last week hurley expects at least 2 more spots to open up, or is he out recruiting 2020 guys just for fun?
I did quite a bit of research because I had a feeling our recruiting last year was similar to what we're hearing this year from the likes of Borges.

On 1/18/19 Akok committed which left us with one open scholarship. At the time we were still pushing for Precious and Kofi. Again, we only had 1 scholarship known to be available at the time. Throughout the next 2 months there were rumors about a variety of players potentially leaving and many thought we'd have open scholarships. However, Mamadou and other players' futures were still unclear. Following the Akok commitment we were linked to the following players over the next 4 months:

Precious
Kofi
Joel Ntambwe
Khadim Sy
Tre Mitchell
Kareem Reid
Qudus Wahab
Anthony Kabala
Emmanuel Ugboh
Derrick Quansah
Ricky Issanza
Tomas Woldentensae
LJ Figueroa
Nah'shon Hyland
Demarr Langford (to potentially reclass to '19)
RJ Cole
Richie Springs

Kofi committed to Illinois on 4/24. Still, at this time we had 1 remaining scholarship despite recruiting both guards and bigs.

Cole committed to UConn on 5/14 filling our last scholarship. At this time, Borges tweeted that we were still recruiting for one more player. Still, no one knew where it was coming from (this was at the time when the Mamadou rumors of becoming a coach were in full force, though)

Finally, on 6/12, UConn announced Mamadou would become a student assistant freeing the last scholarship that'd eventually be filled in August by Springs as you mentioned.

With that all said, I'm not sure how you could say Hurley wasn't recruiting last offseason similarly to how he is recruiting this year - recruiting to fill more scholarships than publicly known to be available at this time.

Reaction Score
With that all said, I'm not sure how you could say Hurley wasn't recruiting last offseason similarly to how he is recruiting this year - recruiting to fill more scholarships than publicly known to be available at this time.

funny how two people can look at the same info and come to opposite conclusions.
this is how i interpret last year's recruiting:

1. On 1/18/19 Akok committed which left us with "one" open scholarship
2. but Hurley knew there was no way diarra was going to play this year so there were actually two open scholarships
3. Hurley was recruiting far and wide for the best 2 players available (kofi and precious) but he had a long list of targets, as he should
4. Cole committed to UConn on 5/14
5. Hurley was recruiting far and wide for the single best available player and still working with a long list of targets, as he should
6. springs reclassified filling the last scholarship and hurley stopped recruiting (unlike now when we technically have 0 schollys but he's still recruiting)

what's speculated here has nothing to do with Hurley's reported thinking, which is all that matters, and he's thinking he'll have at least 1 scholly to fill, probably 2, and possibly 3, otherwise he wouldnt still be recruiting for 2020

Reaction Score
funny how two people can look at the same info and come to opposite conclusions.
this is how i interpret last year's recruiting:

1. On 1/18/19 Akok committed which left us with "one" open scholarship
2. but Hurley knew there was no way diarra was going to play this year so there were actually two open scholarships
3. Hurley was recruiting far and wide for the best 2 players available (kofi and precious) but he had a long list of targets, as he should
4. Cole committed to UConn on 5/14
5. Hurley was recruiting far and wide for the single best available player and still working with a long list of targets, as he should
6. springs reclassified filling the last scholarship and hurley stopped recruiting (unlike now when we technically have 0 schollys but he's still recruiting)

what's speculated here has nothing to do with Hurley's reported thinking, which is all that matters, and he's thinking he'll have at least 1 scholly to fill, probably 2, and possibly 3, otherwise he wouldnt still be recruiting for 2020
We “technically” have 0 but he’s said all along, dating back to November, that this would be Alterique’s last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom