2020 Recruiting: - are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: are we out of the picture with Cliff? (Moderator Cliff notes: Zionn reiterates for the 437th time post 7 this thread we are out!!)

Reaction Score
It's puzzling how so many here still believe Cliff is so important to UConn's future, especially after Sanogo destroyed him head to head. Was that total beat down even close to being just a fluke?

Our coaching staff made some great decisions on this year's freshmen, and the first two members of next year's class, so why get your shorts in a wad about a guy our staff may not even want?

Besides, why does anyone want to chase players that have a self worth problem that can only be resolved by getting an offer from Kentucky? How'd that work out for Wenyen Gabriel and Hamidou DIallo?

Sit back, enjoy the development we've seen with Akok, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams and trust the coaches to find and develop more players. Who ever heard of Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor or Nadav Henefeld before they committed to UConn?

Trust the process.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo is really good, but people are seriously extrapolating too much from that one game against Cliff. Cliff is really good, good players have bad games, especially as 18 year olds. I really hope we aren't out here.

amidagoat

Amida was the goat
Reaction Score
It's puzzling how so many here still believe Cliff is so important to UConn's future, especially after Sanogo destroyed him head to head. Was that total beat down even close to being just a fluke?

Our coaching staff made some great decisions on this year's freshmen, and the first two members of next year's class, so why get your shorts in a wad about a guy our staff may not even want?

Besides, why does anyone want to chase players that have a self worth problem that can only be resolved by getting an offer from Kentucky? How'd that work out for Wenyen Gabriel and Hamidou DIallo?

Sit back, enjoy the development we've seen with Akok, Gaffney, Bouknight and Adams and trust the coaches to find and develop more players. Who ever heard of Jake Voskuhl, Emeka Okafor or Nadav Henefeld before they committed to UConn?

Trust the process.
Wenyen is on the Blazers now.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure i've seen it linked somewhere, but where can one find any video of this head to head encounter?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You and many others who are doubting RJ Cole are going to feel real foolish next season when he gets a chance to prove himself. He’ll be a top 3 Big East PG. Regarding the 5 spot, not every team is going to have skill and depth at all 5 positions. We have Cole + Gaffney at PG. Bouk + Adams at SG. Jackson + Wilson at SF. Whaley + Springs at PF. We have pieces to work with. The center will be our weak spot but that’s not to say every team doesn’t have a weak spot.
Our 5 spot has been getting eaten alive for the last several years. It’s basically been non existent. It’s the most important need going forward at this point, especially with akok out.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to sweat over what some writer says. We’ll see what happens. If we don’t get him, we don’t get him. We will get someone else, maybe Sango. The program is moving in the right direction and that is what I care about. Remember when Precious was a sure thing for us according to the “experts”?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I really don’t care if we get Cliff or not at this point. Seems like everything he has done is more for show. I think we moved on from him a long time ago but he is keeping us in the build up. Hurley wants guys who want to be here. His eyes are on Kentucky but will wind up at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Our 5 spot has been getting eaten alive for the last several years. It’s basically been non existent. It’s the most important need going forward at this point, especially with akok out.

Next year we are probably the strongest we’ve been at the 1 through 4 as we’ve been since 2014.

Reaction Score
Next year we are probably the strongest we’ve been at the 1 through 4 as we’ve been since 2014.
i'd like to think so but only if polley is back at 100%. otherwise let's see what hurley does with the last scholly.

Reaction Score
And Diallo is on the Thunder, strange 2 players for him to choose

Even if your measure of success is their being on an NBA team, I think you're missing my point. Their college and pro stats (to date) suggest their careers will not match those of Okafor and Voskuhl who went on to solid college and pro careers despite being little known when they arrived at UConn.

Despite all the hype when they went to Kentucky, Diallo and Gabriel were, respectively, a second round pick and undrafted by the NBA. Diallo's decision to pass on a projected late first round pick in 2017, when he hadn't even played a game for Kentucky, probably says it all about his evaluation of his own ability. He ended up being picked in the middle of the second round after one year at Kentucky and Gabriel, despite his high hopes, went undrafted.

Maybe it's just that one college coach prepared and advised one set of players a bit better than the other?

From Wikipedia:
"Diallo was one of a record-high 182 players to declare for the 2017 NBA Draft, despite not having played a single college game in the process.

On May 24, 2017, Diallo announced that he would return to Kentucky to play in their 2017-2018 season, despite draft scouts saying he could have been taken in the first round of the draft that year.

On June 21, 2018, Diallo was selected with the 45th pick in the 2018 NBA draft by the Brooklyn Nets. His draft rights were subsequently traded to the Charlotte Hornets,[6] and then to the Oklahoma City Thunder.[7] On July 28, 2018, the Oklahoma City Thunder announced that they had signed Diallo."

Gabriel declared for the 2018 NBA draft,[8] but went undrafted.[9] He joined the Sacramento Kings for the 2018 NBA Summer League.[10] On 31 July 2018, he signed a two-way contract with the Kings.[11] However, he did not appear in a game during that season.

2019–2020 season
Just prior to the start of the 2019–20 season, the Kings converted Gabriel’s contract to a standard deal.[12] He had a double-double of 16 points and 16 rebounds for the Stockton Kings on December 20, 2019, in a win over the Delaware Blue Coats.[13] On January 11, 2020, Gabriel had 37 points, 11 rebounds and three assists for Stockton in its 163-143 win over the Iowa Wolves.[14]

Portland Trail Blazers (2020–present)
On January 20, 2020, Gabriel was traded to the Portland Trail Blazers along with Trevor Ariza and Caleb Swanigan in exchange for Kent Bazemore, Anthony Tolliver and two future second round picks.[15] He made his debut for the Trail Blazers on January 31, going 0-for-3 from the field with one rebound, one assist and a block in 13 minutes as the Blazers defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 127-119.[16]

Reaction Score
We are out on Cliff and have been for some time. As I have posted before, I know people who are really close to the situation. It's ASU in the lead but it's far from a lock for them.

Also, an interesting nugget related to this: Bobby Hurley ASU recently hired Rasheen Davis--the guy who helped bring him here from Africa. Let's just say that DH wasn't too thrilled with that ;)

Reaction Score
We are out on Cliff and have been for some time. As I have posted before, I know people who are really close to the situation. It's ASU in the lead but it's far from a lock for them.

Also, an interesting nugget related to this: Bobby Hurley ASU recently hired Rasheen Davis--the guy who helped bring him here from Africa. Let's just say that DH wasn't too thrilled with that ;)
Dan should start making these shady (but legal) hirings

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The training staff should be fired if Akok is playing actual basketball games in 6 months.

Edit: I’ll clarify, there’s no historical precedent for someone returning to play actual games that quickly. thatd be reckless to do that with him. We got a first glimpse of KD and he’s at 9 months, still no real timetable of return to action.
And if you watch carefully, Durant is clearly favoring his repaired Achilles still. It takes a long time to rebuild explosion off that leg. Not only the healing, but also the muscle scarring that is inevitable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ll say it again. ASU basketball is an afterthought out here. They are the second most popular college team in the state and there are so many other sports options here.

Reaction Score
It's a thing ASU fans do. Similar to Texas horns. It's for the pitchfork in their logo.
[/QUOT
A very unfortunate coincidence for them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom