Are we not the most talented team in the country right now? Let’s break it down | The Boneyard

Are we not the most talented team in the country right now? Let’s break it down

Reaction Score
Sanogo - on national list for top 15 centers in the country
Hawkins - on national list for top 10 shooting guards in country
Jackson - on national list for top 15 defensive players in country
Karaban - one of best freshman in country….can make a case for top 15
Newton - over last 5 games, is he not playing like a top 10 PG in country?
Clingan - best backup center in country
Rest of bench - can we go top 20?

Was just thinking about this and want to get everyone’s thoughts….we have the tools to win it all for sure based on talent.

Reaction Score
We were the most dominant team for the first 2 months of the season, and every media member agreed with that as well.

We’ve won 4 of our last 5, and the defense has started to get back to that November/December mojo. When we play like we did last night, there is no one that can beat us.

Reaction Score
I really have to scratch my head thinking who was last nights player of the game, that’s a great thing to have. We have to build off last night and cut down on turnovers and do better at the line. We don’t beat ourselves we have a great shot in March there are no great teams.

Reaction Score
We rely a lot on the 3P shot. We have good shooters, but can we shoot well 6 games in a row? What do we do on a off shooting night against a good team? We have the upside to beat every team in the country, but not sure if we can limit the downside.

Newton offers us great diversity in that he can drive to hoop, score and get fouled. I think he is the key to the season. In addition we need one of our bench shooters each game to score some points. We need to get to point where either JC or Alleyne has a good game each night.

On defense we are good at guarding perimeter teams and teams with good big men. We have been bad at defending teams that are full of guys that drive to hoop. I think Hurley should keep defense as is for perimeter teams, but needs to adjust defense for teams that like to drive to hoop. We have test runs against St. John’s, and Seton Hall. Hoping to see adjustments where we shut them down. I think Sanogo + Clingan on floor at same time is the answer to that defensive problem, but Hurley doesn’t seem to,like that lineup.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was banging the drum of not overreacting to January, but I’d be careful anointing anyone after that fall off. Complete dominance up to this point would justify this take.

Reaction Score
We were the most dominant team for the first 2 months of the season, and every media member agreed with that as well.

We’ve won 4 of our last 5, and the defense has started to get back to that November/December mojo. When we play like we did last night, there is no one that can beat us.
Let's wait a few more game, maybe 4, before we start on this road.

Reaction Score
Creighton has a better collection of guards (Alexander, Nembhard, Scheierman). I think for this reason, they are slightly better than us.

Reaction Score
God. you gotta just step back and admire what an emotional roller coaster being on this site is. We've gone from "this team could probably beat a G League squad" to "ok, we're frauds and may be on the bubble" to "maybe we're not as bad as we were but we obviously are not as good as we were" to "yeah, we are the most talented team in the country right now." And, genuinely, you feel each case so viscerally in the moment

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
God. you gotta just step back and admire what an emotional roller coaster being on this site is. We've gone from "this team could probably beat a G League squad" to "ok, we're frauds and may be on the bubble" to "maybe we're not as bad as we were but we obviously are not as good as we were" to "yeah, we are the most talented team in the country right now." And, genuinely, you feel each case so viscerally in the moment
We are real fans. That’s how real fans act. We get high, low, and everywhere in between.

Reaction Score

Was just thinking about this and want to get everyone’s thoughts….we have the tools to win it all for sure based on talent.
Yes, but even though we have depth, at times I feel like we rotate too many players or have the wrong combinations of players on the court. Sometimes we get into foul trouble and we don’t go to the line.

Reaction Score
Creighton has a better collection of guards (Alexander, Nembhard, Scheierman). I think for this reason, they are slightly better than us.
I’d take Newton and Hawkins over any of those 3. And only 1 of those guys will make 7 figures on an NBA roster. And I’ll give you a hint, he plays for the hungry Huskies.

Reaction Score
I’d take Newton and Hawkins over any of those 3. And only 1 of those guys will make 7 figures on an NBA roster. And I’ll give you a hint, he plays for the hungry Huskies.
I agree with Hawkins over Alexander. Alexander is a tier above Newton however. He'll play at the next level.

Reaction Score
We rely a lot on the 3P shot. We have good shooters, but can we shoot well 6 games in a row? What do we do on a off shooting night against a good team? We have the upside to beat every team in the country, but not sure if we can limit the downside.

Newton offers us great diversity in that he can drive to hoop, score and get fouled. I think he is the key to the season. In addition we need one of our bench shooters each game to score some points. We need to get to point where either JC or Alleyne has a good game each night.

On defense we are good at guarding perimeter teams and teams with good big men. We have been bad at defending teams that are full of guys that drive to hoop. I think Hurley should keep defense as is for perimeter teams, but needs to adjust defense for teams that like to drive to hoop. We have test runs against St. John’s, and Seton Hall. Hoping to see adjustments where we shut them down. I think Sanogo + Clingan on floor at same time is the answer to that defensive problem, but Hurley doesn’t seem to,like that lineup.
We just beat a team handily that likes to drive in Marquette. Maybe we have seen the adjustments already.

Reaction Score
Let's wait a few more game, maybe 4, before we start on this road.
That’s more than fair. I’m not saying we are the best team right now. However it’s undeniable that we were the most dominant team for the first 2 months of the season. The issue right now is consistency. We played a full 40 minutes of Nov/Dec UConn vs Marquette. If we do that every game - which we already proved we are capable of doing - then we are the hardest team to beat. If they beat Creighton on Saturday, expectations will be FF or bust again lol

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

All fair points. Counterpoint is that UConn lost to St. Johns at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom