Are We A Spoiled Fanbase? | The Boneyard

Are We A Spoiled Fanbase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I just came off of Facebook, where everyone and their grandmothers are jumping off of bridges because the men and women both lost at home on the same day for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME! (1993?). The men's basketball team still have a decent chance to make the tourney, and the women won't drop out of the top five. The football team had a losing record, but still was 5-7 in a BCS league, and some people have slammed them this past year. Bottom line: are we a spoiled fanbase, Husky Nation?? I'm posing this question to the Boneyard, where I can always get sound feedback on such a question (why are you laughing?)

Reaction Score
We have had more than our fair share of basketball championships, with two Hall of Fame coaches, in a great basketball conference, so yes, we are a spoiled basketball fan base.

We have never had a football team finish in the top 30, (over a very short time period) and our football conference is the weakest BCS conference, so no, I don't think we have been spoiled with football riches (we have had our moments), although we are light years from our Yankee Conference days. Hopefully our best football is yet to come (2012) and hopefully the conference will improve.

Reaction Score
It's BB season? All I know is that spring practice is a little more than a month away and the spring game is just over 2 months away.

Does anything else even matter?

Reaction Score
We are also somewhat spoiled in football. Our expectations are much higher as a BCS conference member. Fans expected victories over Vanderbilt, Western Michigan, and Iowa State. Too bad Endres messed up.

Reaction Score
We're spoiled in football as well. Very few folks realize the significance of what has been accomplished in a short period of time playing at this level.

Reaction Score
A resounding yes is BB, and I think some people take those expectations and project them onto football where the ability to become an elite program is much more difficult if not damn near impossible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the contrarian on this. No, we are not spoiled (OK, maybe WBB fans are spoiled). In certain sports, UConn is an elite program, in BB, it is a historically elite program. In other sports, FB, we aspire to be an elite program. Not necessarily National Championship level, but top of the BE on a regular basis. As such, we as fans have a right to expect the pursuit of excellence on the court and off, plus throw in a memorable season now and then.

The complaints about MBB are not about making the FF or even winnning the BE. We expect to compete in the top half of the BE, win games at MSG, make the NCAA and beat lower seeded teams once we get there. Beyond all that, we expect them to compete in the image of JC and past squads who if we're honest, fought above their weight. This year's very talented team has done none of that, and we are disappointed.

As for FB, we expect to play marquee teams, compete for BE titles, make bowl games and occasionally take down a national power as we continue to grow this program. We are not a fan base that complains about 9 or 10 win seasons. We do not complain about getting blown out by the likes of Oklahoma, but as a AQ level program, 7 loss seasons are unacceptable in a weak conference as is losing to non-AQs and the dregs of other AQ conferences. Temple, Vandy, WMU, ISU, Louisville (last two years), are unacceptable. We have shown the talent and drive to do better and that is the standard going forward. No more talk of trailers and 1-AA, we arrived in 2010, it's time to eat at the big boy table.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the contrarian on this. No, we are not spoiled (OK, maybe WBB fans are spoiled). In certain sports, UConn is an elite program, in BB, it is a historically elite program. In other sports, FB, we aspire to be an elite program. Not necessarily National Championship level, but top of the BE on a regular basis. As such, we as fans have a right to expect the pursuit of excellence on the court and off, plus throw in a memorable season now and then.

The complaints about MBB are not about making the FF or even winnning the BE. We expect to compete in the top half of the BE, win games at MSG, make the NCAA and beat lower seeded teams once we get there. Beyond all that, we expect them to compete in the image of JC and past squads who if we're honest, fought above their weight. This year's very talented team has done none of that, and we are disappointed.

As for FB, we expect to play marquee teams, compete for BE titles, make bowl games and occasionally take down a national power as we continue to grow this program. We are not a fan base that complains about 9 or 10 win seasons. We do not complain about getting blown out by the likes of Oklahoma, but as a AQ level program, 7 loss seasons are unacceptable in a weak conference as is losing to non-AQs and the dregs of other AQ conferences. Temple, Vandy, WMU, ISU, Louisville (last two years), are unacceptable. We have shown the talent and drive to do better and that is the standard going forward. No more talk of trailers and 1-AA, we arrived in 2010, it's time to eat at the big boy table.
My sentiments also! When I was an undergaduate in the 70's, there was a season where a Joe Corbo led defense beat Yale, the Huskies finished @ 8-2-1, & was ranked 88th nationally (the Elis came in at #90). At the time, I thought that this was the plateau of UConn football. UConn has grown exponentially since going FBS, & in only a decade has ascended to where other institutions can only dream of.
It's time to flex muscles & take another leap higher.

Reaction Score
I'd guess UConn fans who root for the Yankees/Giants or Red Sox/Patriots are just the slightest bit more likely to spoiled than UConn fans who subject themselves to the Mets/Jets. It's hard to take success for granted when you're in the latter category.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In other sports, FB, we aspire to be an elite program. Not necessarily National Championship level, but top of the BE on a regular basis. As such, we as fans have a right to expect the pursuit of excellence on the court and off, plus throw in a memorable season now and then.

I don't disagree with you about the fact that we should aspire to be an elite program, or that we fans have a right to expect the PURSUIT of excellence. With that said, I think that the university continues to meet our expectations. Large financial investments have occurred and continue to occur to support all of our programs, whether it's building / improving sports venues, training facilities, and continually drawing in large private booster investments. To me, that is pursuing excellence. That is aspiring to be an elite program. I think that too many people are upset that we aren't Alabama yet, and I think those people are ridiculous...

Reaction Score
Yes.

We need our new AD to take the success our Athletic Programs have enjoyed & find a way to energize these fanbases. Somewhat distinctly different fanbases. We do not have the spirit nor intensity that we had in 1994 in Hoop. I watched that Marquette team yesterday & I saw a scrappy undersized bunch ... like the Lyman DePriest days. Football too: we need to take this to a different level.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'd guess UConn fans who root for the Yankees/Giants or Red Sox/Patriots are just the slightest bit more likely to spoiled than UConn fans who subject themselves to the Mets/Jets. It's hard to take success for granted when you're in the latter category.
That's actually a great point. As a Mets and Bills fan, it's a little easier to keep myself grounded in terms of expectations for UConn and Penguins (big hockey fan).

Anyways, we have people saying the basketball program has been down the last few years because we only have an E8, FF and NC in the last 6 years. Huh?

Reaction Score
That basketball program has taken UCONN to places I never thought possible.

That said, this group of kids is unwatchable. With the talent that team possesses, if each of them had half the heart of a Kevin Freeman this team would be undefeated. Grab your balls and take a charge for god sake.

Leave it on the floor or go home.......or the NBA.....hardly matters to me. I just want the effort.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the Hoop dysfunction on just the Kids. There is a core issue that is threaded through this whole year that NEEDS to be fixed. Otherwise, you can just say the loss of Kemba Walker ... and the add of Andre Drummond, Daniels & Boatwright ... are the killers. It's a fundamental malaise that I think Calhoun recognizes. And, George B. is not even a bandaid.

Reaction Score
Y-E-S.

Though from perusing message boards of various teams college and pro, I don't know that there's a significant fanbase anywhere that is reasonable all the time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Womens hoops for sure are spoiled
Why do you think I'm over here right now? Players that were wonderful a couple days ago are now overrated and Geno doesn't know how to coach anymore. Geez.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the Hoop dysfunction on just the Kids. There is a core issue that is threaded through this whole year that NEEDS to be fixed. Otherwise, you can just say the loss of Kemba Walker ... and the add of Andre Drummond, Daniels & Boatwright ... are the killers. It's a fundamental malaise that I think Calhoun recognizes. And, George B. is not even a bandaid.

I don't disagree Pudge. But, some of these players are much more focused on the NBA than they are on winning college basketball games. That is what I suspect anyway.....

Reaction Score
Why do you think I'm over here right now? Players that were wonderful a couple days ago are now overrated and Geno doesn't know how to coach anymore. Geez.

I'm avoiding the women's board like the plague. Usually I just lurk there once in a while. I can only imagine it must be cats and dogs living together over there right now.

Reaction Score
I'm avoiding the women's board like the plague. Usually I just lurk there once in a while. I can only imagine it must be cats and dogs living together over there right now.

yeah its so terrible they are getting the number 1 and 2 recruit next year, 24-3 for them is a rebuilding year they are a shoe in for the sweet 16 every year, even Geno has said how spoiled the fans are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom