Are they nasty yet? | The Boneyard

Are they nasty yet?

Reaction Score
I would say we are "Semi-nasty" . Not enough depth at this point to be nasty. Nasty is when our starters are out of the game, and the lead may be 30 points, and then it grows to 40 +. Semi-nasty is when we have a lead of 30, our starters come out, and we win by 20.
(Plus our young ladies are too nice to be considered nasty)
Can I have one more thought? Aaliyah Edwards improvement from last year is the most I have ever seen. last year she was Popeye, this year Popeye on spinach!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Janet Jackson told us about “nasty boys.” Here are some nasty girls. I like this kind of nasty, and hope it has spread throughout the team. I want our whole team to be a “nasty piece of business“ tonight and for the rest of the season. :) Let me watch that video again!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Janet Jackson told us about “nasty boys.” Here are some nasty girls. I like this kind of nasty, and hope it has spread throughout the team. I want our whole team to be a “nasty piece of business“ tonight and for the rest of the season. :) Let me watch that video again!!!
I was actually using Azzi’s word

1674748567262.png

Reaction Score
Vols will push us…and push us hard.
I wanna see how we push back without losing our cool.
Like the basic tenet in most martial arts:
Use your opponents energy and aggression against him.
Gotta walk the fine line by getting respect while letting THEM get the fouls.
In this atmosphere and this type of game we have to remember that every point we prevent is worth one we put up.
I hope both Aubrey & Nika put their maturity and experience to good use.
I hope Amari can give 10 good minutes on the floor, just keep between Tennessee player and the basket with hands straight up.
Dorka & Aayleah can play at full tilt tonight but need a few minutes of breathing time.
If Lou can make them pay early, the paint will probably open up a bit.
Then the post crew can operate.
GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Vols will push us…and push us hard.
I wanna see how we push back without losing our cool.
Like the basic tenet in most martial arts:
Use your opponents energy and aggression against him.
Gotta walk the fine line by getting respect while letting THEM get the fouls.
In this atmosphere and this type of game we have to remember that every point we prevent is worth one we put up.
I hope both Aubrey & Nika put their maturity and experience to good use.
I hope Amari can give 10 good minutes on the floor, just keep between Tennessee player and the basket with hands straight up.
Dorka & Aayleah can play at full tilt tonight but need a few minutes of breathing time.
If Lou can make them pay early, the paint will probably open up a bit.
Then the post crew can operate.
GO HUSKIES!!
To me, your bench is the key. If your starters are relatively fresh and foul free in the 4th quarter, I don't see a contest. Your starters need a breather here and there in order to push through to the end. The bench does need to be superlative - just adequate.

Reaction Score
I would say we are "Semi-nasty" . Not enough depth at this point to be nasty. Nasty is when our starters are out of the game, and the lead may be 30 points, and then it grows to 40 +. Semi-nasty is when we have a lead of 30, our starters come out, and we win by 20.
(Plus our young ladies are too nice to be considered nasty)
Can I have one more thought? Aaliyah Edwards improvement from last year is the most I have ever seen. last year she was Popeye, this year Popeye on spinach!
I really didn't think we were a "nasty" team this year until the DePaul game. There were a couple of moments. One was Lou's rather direct statement of displeasure to Morrow after her entanglement with her and the other was Dorka's block and facial expression to the student section. I think that with Nika as a team leader you just can't be tea and sympathy for a single moment out of absolute fear. So I'm voting for "nasty". I think it has percolated through the entire team now. We are getting a subdued swagger about us. It's not overt, but it's there. They have been through an awful lot. I think it has hardened them immensely.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, this years Lady Vols team is not as physical as you would think. In fact, Kellie is imploring them to be tougher in this game. In the past two years, size was in favor of the LV however this year I would say the size and quickness favors UConn. Hollingshead is a reserve, only playing 14 min per game so that means the tallest person on the court will be 6'2" for the LVs and we know they will not put Rickea Jackson on either Dorka or Aaliyah as they want her fresh for offense. That means Puckett and Darby/Franklin/Hollingshead will have to cover our twin towers. I love that matchup.

Reaction Score
Actually, this years Lady Vols team is not as physical as you would think. In fact, Kellie is imploring them to be tougher in this game. In the past two years, size was in favor of the LV however this year I would say the size and quickness favors UConn. Hollingshead is a reserve, only playing 14 min per game so that means the tallest person on the court will be 6'2" for the LVs and we know they will not put Rickea Jackson on either Dorka or Aaliyah as they want her fresh for offense. That means Puckett and Darby/Franklin/Hollingshead will have to cover our twin towers. I love that matchup.
That's my impression, too. No enforcers on this team, and not as many pure athletic types as in prior years.

Carnac

Reaction Score

View attachment 83455
And I was using and thinking of Kia Nurse's father's (Richard Nurse) phrase ......"a nasty piece of business."
I really didn't think we were a "nasty" team this year until the DePaul game. There were a couple of moments. One was Lou's rather direct statement of displeasure to Morrow after her entanglement with her and the other was Dorka's block and facial expression to the student section. I think that with Nika as a team leader you just can't be tea and sympathy for a single moment out of absolute fear. So I'm voting for "nasty". I think it has percolated through the entire team now. We are getting a subdued swagger about us. It's not overt, but it's there. They have been through an awful lot. I think it has hardened them immensely.
:)

Speaking of Kia..............

Carnac

Reaction Score

View attachment 83455

Nan, you know there are various degrees or tiers of nasty. Some nasty you marvel at ........a nasty dunk, a nasty spin move, a nasty quick change of direction by a guard driving the lane that cripples his/her man, then there are some things that are so nasty, you cringe and turn away. Nasty can mean different things as you know depending on the context they're used in. I understand your comment though. I just thought I'd take it a step further. :cool:

BTW......I challenge Azzi and her teammates to be as "nasty" as they can be. I want to see it!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Always loved her. One tough player. Great defender and shut down artist.
Geno had two "lockdown" defenders on the same team..................her and Gabby Williams. Both had no problem keeping their mark in front of them. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was nasty with her blocks
Kiah is one of my 3 all-time favorite UConn WBB players (Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart) I'm partial to post players. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kiah is one of my 3 all-time favorite UConn WBB players (Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart) I'm partial to post players. :D
Mine are Diana, Maya, and Gabby whom Jay Bilas called "the most athletic player in all of college basketball".

Reaction Score
Maybe on defense…

I'll be convinced when we win the inside game against South Carolina - especially the rebounding battle, but, hopefully, scoring as well. We have to impose our will - then we will be nasty! But, our defense has improved a bunch since the beginning of the season for sure:D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Diana could probably give even our present team pointers on 'nasty'.
For sure!!!! :) It's not too late. There's plenty of season left. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll be convinced when we win the inside game against South Carolina - especially the rebounding battle, but, hopefully, scoring as well. We have to impose our will - then we will be nasty! But, our defense has improved a bunch since the beginning of the season for sure:D
Boston is one of the most "prolific" rebounders in WCBB along with Aneesah Morrow of DePaul. THEY are the players we hear most about. Hard to believe, but Boston is not ranked in the top ten in rebounding as of today.

Here is the list of the current top 10 rebounders in D1 WCBB. Morrow is currently ranked 6th in the nation. Lauren Gustin was cut from the same cloth as Morrow. She's the same height at 6'1". As a HS senior, Gustin averaged 29 points and 17 rebounds per game. :eek: We all know about LSU's transfer from Maryland, 6'3" Angel Reese.

1674774524464.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom