Are the extra available minutes what's needed for Bouknight to make the next step? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are the extra available minutes what's needed for Bouknight to make the next step?

Reaction Score
Kids a player no doubt, still learning but has unbelievable skills. For a kid that has a very high IQ though it's crazy he can't keep his hands in his pockets. This will be a problem for his minutes, even the first half he got lucky as he committed his 3rd on a reach in but was bailed by the stripes giving it to Whaley.

He needs to be on the court but he also needs to improve his D gets beat off the dribble easy, got back doored too. Love his game and this will only help overall.

Reaction Score
Hurley says he’s turning down open shots he wants him to take. Neither of us can read minds but that was my theory. Maybe something else is motivating that? I don’t know.

He's turning down open shots too often I see that and agree. Much of the time his lane is closed too after the ball fake. Shoot the ball!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Most freshmen make the next step by becoming sophomores.

Maybe it has to do with deferring to the upper class men that Chief mentions, maybe they need some extended time away from game prep to process everything they've learned, but whatever it is, the biggest jump in player development seems to come between Freshmen and Sophomore years.

This. The kid is a freshman, and 99% of freshmen have deficiencies. His are easily correctable and he has a ton of talent. Once he starts playing better defense and some more jump shots drop he'll be a star.

Reaction Score
I just think Bouk needs time on the court. He has the ability to play better d but lacks concentration on that end. We are going to need James to score and score a lot. With Tyler out CV is the only other dependable scorer. Akok is another who needs to figure out his offense. He must be more aggressive inside and try scoring around the rim. His 3 point shot is too inconsistent to depend on only taking shots from the outside.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's turning down open shots too often I see that and agree. Much of the time his lane is closed too after the ball fake. Shoot the ball!!

He's clearly deferring the Gilbert and Vital when it comes to shooting. I see Akok doing the same. Neither guy seems to feel like they should be the one to take over a game yet. I don't want Bouknight to play like Vital as @gtcam suggests, I want him to add a little Jalen Adams to his game. Know when the team needs you to be the guy in key stretches.

Most impressive things I see in Bouknight are the way he reads the game. Spend some time just watching him and it becomes obvious. He anticipates when a shot will go up, who will take and it from where, then slides into ideal rebounding position or attacks that spot. A fair number of guys have that, but not many with his athletic gifts as well. A few times I watched him read the defense and go to exactly the right spot expecting the ball, which didn't come. Once against WSU he clearly waived and called for the ball and either AG or CV didn't deliver it and in fact passed it the opposite way.

C

Chief00

Taking and knocking down shots solves our biggest problem along with the need to distribute the ball better and reduce turnovers.

Reaction Score
Are we seriously talking about Bouknight's contribution in that game? Compared to whom? Akok, 0-5, Carlton ( the human turnover machine) or Gilbert...where the other team should wear "armpit pads" as that's where most of his shots end up. The kid is superstar in the making, and there will be growing pains because he is young, but man is he smooth and even the shots he misses go in/out.

Reaction Score
View attachment 49897

He stepped up yesterday and he still is nowhere near how good he can be. No one is happy Tyler is out, but the extra minuted may just be what the doctor ordered for Bouk.
I can't even look at this without feeling sick. That 3:5 assist to turnover ratio is nice.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need to see Bouk in there with AG or CV, not both. I think he gets many more touches then and that will turn to more looks.

Reaction Score
I would like to see more of Bouk with CV and AG. Teams have to honor CV at the 3 point line and Bouk can drive. Gaffney should have CV with him at the least. Not good to have the two freshman in the backcourt with Sid, Akok and Carlton.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would like to see more of Bouk with CV and AG. Teams have to honor CV at the 3 point line and Bouk can drive.
Bouk doesn't get the ball when they are both in there.

Reaction Score
Are we seriously talking about Bouknight's contribution in that game? Compared to whom? Akok, 0-5, Carlton ( the human turnover machine) or Gilbert...where the other team should wear "armpit pads" as that's where most of his shots end up. The kid is superstar in the making, and there will be growing pains because he is young, but man is he smooth and even the shots he misses go in/out.

Who’s talking about his contributions? We all agree is going to be real good. He’s not there yet but fun to watch him grow.

Reaction Score
Bouk doesn't get the ball when they are both in there.
There was a moment late in the game after a timeout where Gilbert had the ball in our half and Bouk ran over to get it (I cant remember if game clock or shot clock was running low) and Gilbert kind of looked him off and held on to the ball and Bouk ran over to the other side and stood at the corner 3 pt line and had both his arms up as if saying "he was supposed to give me the ball but didnt, I dont get why" as he was looking over at Hurley.
Did anyone else catch this? It seems like there may be a little potential issue in the locker room where Gilbert wants to be the guy. I dont see CV doing this though, just Gilbert. So either Gilbert ignored coach on that play design because he doesnt trust Bouk wont commit a turnover, or I dont know what it was. But I'm pretty sure Hurley addressed that one after the game and needs to sit those 2 down and nail it in their heads that the team needs to give Bouk those opportunities, and not Gilbert in those situations.

Reaction Score
We need to bring Rip in to give him lessons on moving without the ball.

Reaction Score
We need to bring Rip in to give him lessons on moving without the ball.

I agree but remember Rips days he had Jake, KFree and others who actually set really nice picks. Bouk doesn't have that now and they rarely run anything for him to make that happen. Agree they should though Dev!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom