Are Games Like Aic Really Worth Anything? | The Boneyard

Are Games Like Aic Really Worth Anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm curious what others think about exhibition games against teams like AIC and CW Post. It is bad enough that we play Columbia, Wagner and Coppin State, but do these games really serve any purpose? I'm not sure that you can tell anything about Drummond from watching him manhandle a 6-5 unathletic center or whether Nappier will be an adequate replacement for Walker because he was able to run circles around some guy who isn't anywhere close to his league. I realize everyone plays these games, and I suppose they are ok for the D-2 school, who gets to tell recruits you're going to play the defending NCAA Champ or whatever, but what real value do these mismatches bring? Players probably get better workouts in practice. Wouldn't a non-public scrimmage with Quinnipiac/Fairfield/Yale/Hartford, even UMass or Temple or somebody, be way more productive? I'm guessing it wouldn't be allowed under NCAA rules, but these games are about as helpful as midnight madness, no?

Reaction Score
does anyone take exhibition games seriously at all? Is Uconn suppose to schedule Kentucky for an exhibition game? The schools get a lot of money for playing Uconn and I'm sure Calhoun is willing to help out his old school

Reaction Score
I'm curious what others think about exhibition games against teams like AIC and CW Post. It is bad enough that we play Columbia, Wagner and Coppin State, but do these games really serve any purpose? I'm not sure that you can tell anything about Drummond from watching him manhandle a 6-5 unathletic center or whether Nappier will be an adequate replacement for Walker because he was able to run circles around some guy who isn't anywhere close to his league. I realize everyone plays these games, and I suppose they are ok for the D-2 school, who gets to tell recruits you're going to play the defending NCAA Champ or whatever, but what real value do these mismatches bring? Players probably get better workouts in practice. Wouldn't a non-public scrimmage with Quinnipiac/Fairfield/Yale/Hartford, even UMass or Temple or somebody, be way more productive? I'm guessing it wouldn't be allowed under NCAA rules, but these games are about as helpful as midnight madness, no?

Live dunking practice! Seriously, I think they are helpul if for no other reason to indoctrinate newbies. If JC didn't think they were worthwhile he wouldn't bother.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like going to these games. I guess the first looks at the new guys is the biggest reason. A reason to get out of the house is another.

Reaction Score
Probably not very useful except maybe for the freshmen who have never played before a big crowd like this in a big arena. Drummond said he was nervous. After playing 2 of these exhibitions will he not be nervous against Columbia when it's a real game? Someone should ask him after the Columbia game.

I'd say a non-public controlled scrimmage against a very good team would be more beneficial. JC has mentioned doing this with someone like Michigan St. but the AD didn't want to give up a game with a gate. Could the new AD be pursuaded to give up a gate?

Reaction Score
Real officials, a real crowd, a different opponent, etc. It's a chance to work out some kinks in an actual game setting where the results don't actually matter. And yes, the school makes some $ in the process.

Reaction Score
does anyone take exhibition games seriously at all? Is Uconn suppose to schedule Kentucky for an exhibition game?
I wouldn't object...in fact, I actually think something like that, even if it was closed to the public, would be far more valuable. I think I read Calhoun saying something like that a while ago even. Peacefrog, I'm not suse Calhoun really has much say on this. I think the Athletic Department basically does it for the same reason the NFL does...for the money. If everybody else is playing D-2 teams in pre-season games, and charging full price for it, there is no change on god's green earth that the UCONN Athletic department is not going to do it. I get that, but isn't it maybe time to re-look at the rules on this and try to come up with something more useful? This came about in part because of the Rudy Gay controversey...no more travelling teams. But I'm not sure it really is even as good as those were. At least on occassion you had to face a few former D-1 players. Or maybe even go back to playing a couple of international teams. I'd way rahter play say the Spanish national team...we might not win by 45, but the players would actually have to play.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't object...in fact, I actually think something like that, even if it was closed to the public, would be far more valuable. I think I read Calhoun saying something like that a while ago even. Peacefrog, I'm not suse Calhoun really has much say on this. I think the Athletic Department basically does it for the same reason the NFL does...for the money. If everybody else is playing D-2 teams in pre-season games, and charging full price for it, there is no change on god's green earth that the UCONN Athletic department is not going to do it. I get that, but isn't it maybe time to re-look at the rules on this and try to come up with something more useful? This came about in part because of the Rudy Gay controversey...no more travelling teams. But I'm not sure it really is even as good as those were. At least on occassion you had to face a few former D-1 players. Or maybe even go back to playing a couple of international teams. I'd way rahter play say the Spanish national team...we might not win by 45, but the players would actually have to play.

eh i mean, We won the championship last season playing AIC in the exhibition game

Reaction Score
I think playing any kind of opponent you're not used to playing works to a team's benefit, as opposed to scrimmaging against the game group of guys in practice like usual.

Reaction Score
@freescooter: The players do have to play. Ask Arizona and Butler if they should have played better competition in their exhibition games. And by the way, the Spanish National team would beat Uconn by about 30. Why would they come to Storrs for that?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
And by the way, the Spanish National team would beat Uconn by about 30.

I think it'd be a good game. Not that you overrate the Spanish national team, which I'm sure would help us understand the value of professional training, but this UConn team has several lottery picks on it. That's a lot of talent. It'd be something I'd love to see!

Reaction Score
eh i mean, We won the championship last season playing AIC in the exhibition game
I'm not sure playing AIC had anything to do with it...We also played them in 2009-10 and went to the NIT...I don't really care, but I don't think you learn anything from anyone's performance in such a mismatch. I think if there were a way to arrange a scrimmage against another D-1 opponent, it would be much more beneficial...And it isn't like our schedule is usually set up to take on Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Michigan State to open the season...even last year with the Maui trip, we opened against Vermont and Stony Brook then played Witcita State and Michigan State, both of whom could have been good, but neither of who were. this year we don't play anyone of consequence until mid-January...I'm a bit worried that without a tough physical game somewhere along the way this team will be a bit soft coming into the league schedule...a little like 2007 where we didn't know what to do when we finally faced a real team...AIC and CWPost ain't those type of games.

Reaction Score
@freescooter: The players do have to play. Ask Arizona and Butler if they should have played better competition in their exhibition games. And by the way, the Spanish National team would beat Uconn by about 30. Why would they come to Storrs for that?
Bball, we won by 43 and it could have been 403...Butler is not going to be very good this year. I really don't know about Arizona.

Reaction Score
It's like stretching out before working out- sure it's good for you. It give coached more teaching points. It mean nothing as far as the players are concerned- just the first games we can talk about.

Reaction Score
Playing teams like AIC in exhibition is pretty much what it is...a chance to work on your stuff against another team. Playing teams like Coppin St, Fairfield, Columbia during the season Isnt really that much of a rise in the competition either but thats who you have to fill the schedule with. I was thinking about this at the game the other night, maybe a way to generate more interest in the exhibitions is to play in state teams like a Southern, or Eastern or something? Southern is in the same conference as AIC and i think that would be something different they should try.

Reaction Score
I think it'd be a good game. Not that you overrate the Spanish national team, which I'm sure would help us understand the value of professional training, but this UConn team has several lottery picks on it. That's a lot of talent. It'd be something I'd love to see!

The Spanish national team went down to the wire in the Gold medal game against the US in the last Olympics, they would blow UConn and any other college team off the floor.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm sure running some sets against a team that hasn't seen them is pretty important. While the regular practice competition may be tougher, they know what is being run and act differently than a team that hasn't seen the same play for the last 20 days or so. Also, I'm sure there are a lot of stoppage teaching moments in practice and they seldom run through a full 40 minute game with limited time outs and real officials. So it gets everyone into the routine of playing a game as opposed to practice. You also get to beat on some new guys instead of the same guys.

So yes, I think they are valuable if for nothing else getting used to the game routine.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Like anything there are benefits and detriments to playing teams like AIC. The benefit is the team learns to hone their skills and their plays against the type of competition in which the team can accomplish this. Furthermore it allows the team to develop a positive attitude. If the competition is too great, the players won't have a chance to develop as a unit and can begin to doubt themselves.

Playing against inferior opponents, is absolutely necessary for young teams, for teams in which players that will be relied on to contribute are freshmen or sophomores, or when a major dynamic is introduced into the team. This season's team meet all those criteria. The major dynamic for this team is the loss of Kemba Walker. Last year the team relied on one player. This season they may have to rely on each other.

The detriment is the argument freescooter is proposing. A team playing inferior opponents, can become overconfident, or may not be prepared with the timing, intensity or skill sets of superior teams.

I feel JC and most great bb coaches handle the scheduling very well at least with what they can control regarding the scheduling. They anticipate what their team will be in the upcoming year and try to adjust the schedule accordingly. Suffice it to say the 18 games UConn plays in the BE usually is enough time for the players to upgrade their tempo and intensity. And if they don't, no one can be certain that playing a tough out of conference schedule would have prepared them any better for the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom