Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Archbishop Mitty / Morgan Cheli (merged)

Reaction Score
Watching the game now and Jazzy vs Morgan is an incredible matchup. Jazzy may be a little more skilled as a scorer, but Morgan seems to be stronger and fiercer and may be a better passer. Anytime Morgan is off the floor, Jazzy is virtually unstoppable and vice versa.

If we don’t offer Jazzy, then the universe makes no sense to me. It’s not about glitzy stats, but about an elite athlete. I can’t think of a comparison — maybe Jacy Sheldon if she were a lot taller, or Lexie Hull if she were a better scorer, or a taller more graceful Grace Berger.

The only players I wouldn’t compare her to are Caitlin and Paige because it wouldn’t be fair to her. She hasn’t shown me the passing skills they have, though she has everything else.

Honestly, watching her, it’s so hard for me to find a comparison. Her highlights don’t do her justice. It’s obvious that she’s a gym rat because some of those moves are Pro moves.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Final: Mitty 82, Clackamas 67.

I tuned in late, near the end of Q1. Mitty was down by 8 after trailing by 15. Clackamas must have started the game on fire. But possession by possession, Mitty ground it out to a tie at the half and a 14-point lead after Q3.

Jazzy is a lanky, lean, agile lefty. I thought Cheli dominated the game. As others have noted, she scores, rebounds, defends, and passes. I was very impressed. Morgan has nice moves and deep range. I think she made all her FTs as well.

Reaction Score
I thought Cheli dominated the game.
She did. But Jazzy was playing against a better defense than Morgan was. I think Morgan is tremendous and is built for the competition at the next level. Jazzy will be stupendous when she gets to D1, but she’s so slight that she’ll to need teammates who can keep opposing teams from roughing her up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had not seen any videos of Jazzy. I like her agility.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what scholarships look like for ‘25-26, but there are so many good players with so few spots left to fill the roster.

Reaction Score
Here are the scores by the Quarter: Clackamas 22-15, at the Half: 38 -38,
end of three: Mitty 65 - 51, and the FINAL: MITTY 82 - 67.
As noted above, Clackamas was up by 15 points during the first quarter before
Mitty closed it to a 7-point deficit. Mitty then outscored Clackamas 23 to 16 in the
second for the tied. Jazzy and another Clackamas player had
2 fouls before halftime (and they each just missed a third with Jazzy being
called for a walk when it could have easily been a "CHARGE"). Mitty at times
tripled team JAZZY. Like in the other games Mitty Head Coach Sue Philips
worked to limit the opposing best player, i.e. "Jazzy" (not as effectively as in some previous Mitty games),
and then Coach Phillips seems to " flip a switch " in the third and fourth quarters
to seal the deal. Mitty outscored Clackamas by + 14 in the third: twenty-seven
points to thirteen and then closed it out with a + 1 margin of seventeen
to sixteen in the fourth.
THE ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM: Jasmine "JAZZY" Davidson # 33, 6'1", class of
2025, Clackamas' Dillon Mogel (sp) # 5, and Mitty's Belle Bramer 6'1" #23, a senior
(Future, Lehigh U.), Mckenna Woliczko # 20 , 6' 2", a sophomore class of 2026, UCONN
POI, no offer yet from UCONN, and MORGAN CHELI # 33, 6'1" UCONN COMMIT.
There was NO tournament MVP as far as I could tell. I'll rewatch the game later as
there were again no box score stats given. Mitty with a 7- 0 Christmas Tournament
run! # 1 in country! (Previous #1 was Long Island Lutheran, a 73 - 72 victim to
Mitty last week in Arizona).

Reaction Score
Watched the Desoto game, and looking forward to watching the next two. The announcers were from Desoto, and still had to give Morgan her due as a great prospect. I especially enjoyed Morgan's coaching session on the bench with teammate McKenna, drawing a play on the board. Two talented athletes -- a demonstrative teacher with her willing pupil. The best moment was when McKenna indicated she understood, and Morgan slapped her on the knee. This is a future coach in the making, in the mold of Paige. These are two wonderful young women, already comfortable before a camera and mic. Perfect for UConn. Great teammates. I hope Geno will extend an offer to McKenna.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t know what scholarships look like for ‘25-26, but there are so many good players with so few spots left to fill the roster.
I think Aubrey has one more year available that’s not shown on this chart

14050BBD-C3FA-4CAC-95AE-8B11F4B0BEF7.jpeg

Reaction Score
Here are my (probably inaccurate) stats from the Mitty vs Clackamas game.
Morgan Cheli : Q 1 2points, Q 2 12 points, = half : 14 points; Q3 6 points, total 20 then Q 4: a three
pointer = total 23 (could have been 25?) Then McKenna Woliczko: Q 1 six points, Q2 8 points
Half Total: 14 points; Q 3, 7 points (total 21) , then Q 4: four points = TOTAL 25 with at least
8 rebounds and one block. Then: Jasmine "Jazzy" Davidson: Q 1, 9 points, Q 2, 8 points = Half 17
Q 3, 9 points; Q 4, + 4 points = Total 30 points ( my best guess ).
Mitty was scoring on the inside in the first half, Clackamas " hot " from the outside with
steals and good traps and tips. Second half, Mitty with BENCH three pointers, traps,
and containing (?) defense by # 23 Belle Bramer on Jazzy. The refs "swallowed their
whistles" in the second half. Mitty was up by 22 points: 82 to 60 in the fourth quarter before
Clackamas scored the last 7 point for the final score of 82 to 67.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad we will have Morgan, but I sure hope we go after Jazzy Davidson the junior guard from Clackamas. Lineup as many NIL deals as possible for her 'cuz she is going to be a star for someone.

Reaction Score
On the question of conditioning, Mitty played an intense full court press for most of this game too — this may have contributed to the collapse in the third if Clackamas was mentally exhausted by then.

Morgan typically plays the tip of the press for entire games, but in this one she shadowed Jazzy for parts of the game and left the press duty to others. Even so, Jazzy still scored something like 30, but I suspect much of her scoring occurred when Morgan wasn’t on her. Still Jazzy was fearless going up against double and triple teams in the lane. I think she hit a few 3s but she mainly attacked the rim with great effect.

I said previously that Jazzy looks to be the more talented scorer, but Morgan may be the better and fiercer all-around player. It would be fantastic for Geno to get Jazzy for 25-26, but she may not fit Geno’s system quite as well as Morgan clearly will who is an intense defender, sort of like a much larger Nika. Still, Jazzy will shine anywhere, and though her defense doesn’t strike you at first she has some skills here too, and she’s sure to develop more as she goes.

One last thought: Coach Phillips at Mitty seems to favor the big point guard. Morgan kind of fits the Haley Jones model though she’s quicker and a better perimeter shooter. I’ve only seen a few highlight videos of Haley when she was at Mitty, and the similarities are easy to see. Coach Cosgriff also favored a high intensity press at Hopkins when Paige was there, and you can see it in the skills and intensity Nunu Agara brought to Stanford. Taylor Woodson too. This is a type of player Geno knows how to work with, the ones who arrive already skilled at team defense and willing to play it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Many of the better teams like to use a full court press. Back when Azzi was in high school, I saw Bishop McNamara (pre-Q years) a couple of times. The weaker competition struggled with getting the ball over half-court or getting a shot off. I think one opponent had 5 or 6 points at halftime. Similarly, when KML was playing at Mater Dei, her team pressed all game long. Though Kaleena wasn’t known for her defense at UConn, she played the point in the press and got lots of steals. She had world-class hands and controlled the ball every time it touched her finger tips.

Reaction Score
Morgan seem to get more rest breaks than previous 2 games and yet had better productivity.
Head Coach Sue Phillips rotated Morgan in and out, giving her important 30 sec to
one-minute (or so) rests. The Mitty defense was RELENTLESS with new players
coming off the bench IN WAVES. Mitty with too, too much depth and with
Morgan and McKenna providing the Offensive Powers with plenty of help off the
extended TEAM/ bench. "JAZZY" Davidson needed more help. NOTE: Mitty has no BIG "big" but
their lineup includes not only the "M&M" duo, (MORGAN and McKenna) at 6'1" and 6'2"respectively,
but Mitty also has senior Elana Weisman at 6'2" and senior Belle Bramer also at 6'2". Belle is one of
Mitty's defensive stoppers. McKenna is the POST, a "short' one. I just wonder where she would play on
a team with a true POST player??

Reaction Score
but Mitty also has senior Elana Weisman at 6'2" and senior Belle Bramer also at 6'2". Belle is one of Mitty's defensive stoppers. McKenna is the POST, a "short' one. I just wonder where she would play on a team with a true POST player?
I also wonder where McKenna would fit on a D1 team. She has good post skills and midrange shooting. She even sinks the occasional 3. She knows how to finish at the rim. But she is not large and may not be strong enough for the rough and tumble of the low post. She might bulk up but I don’t see her mixing it up with D1 bigs for long stretches. Could she be a tall wing? She may not have the quickness for such a role. She’s clearly committed to playing team defense, and that could really matter to Geno. And her obvious chemistry with Morgan is a big plus. Maybe she could have a role like Caroline’s in her healthy moments, a perimeter threat who can cut to the rim and long arms to disrupt the passing lanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom