Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Arbitrator rules in Ollie's favor re: protections

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not greater than $1M paid over 4 years with a general release, a joint statement (unintended mistakes) and a mutual non-disparagement agreement.

I like our chances, though, if we let the process run its course.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We should have a poll. I say 7 million.

No way. I think 2-3 is as far as UConn would be willing to go. If they pay 7, may as well roll the dice on zero. I think UConn's hand is very strong assuming their are no smoking gun emails, etc. UConn would pay only for PR reasons and never mention the actual amount. KO wouldn't want a low number public either.

pj

Reaction Score
If I were UConn I wouldn't go above $500k, unless Ray or other Ollie friends contributed to raise the amount.

I think the administrator knows UConn has a slam dunk case so giving the Ollie team the early procedural victory is an easy way to look fair. It raises the standard, but not to the height of Ollie's crimes.

Reaction Score
If I were UConn I wouldn't go above $500k, unless Ray or other Ollie friends contributed to raise the amount.

I think the administrator knows UConn has a slam dunk case so giving the Ollie team the early procedural victory is an easy way to look fair. It raises the standard, but not to the height of Ollie's crimes.

There are no slam dunks in binding arbitration before a single arbitrator.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know, the whole "We didn't have a valid reason for firing you, but we would have fire you for a valid reason if we have waited" seems a bit circular to me.

In any case, that's not my understanding of how the arbitration process works. Either UConn discharge for just cause is valid or it isn't. If it isn't and KO wasn't discharged for just cause, then he's entitled to remaining payments under the contract.

I think you and @8893 that after acquired evidence doesn't come in for determining just cause at the time. I don't know what latitude the arbitrator has on damages. But UConn had to fire Ollie after the NCAA ruling, as he's prohibited from coaching. That should certainly impact damages in any rational system (not that this is one).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No way. I think 2-3 is as far as UConn would be willing to go. If they pay 7, may as well roll the dice on zero. I think UConn's hand is very strong assuming their are no smoking gun emails, etc. UConn would pay only for PR reasons and never mention the actual amount. KO wouldn't want a low number public either.

I think the absolute ceiling for settlement is one year of pay. Ollie couldn't have earned more had they not fired him when they did.

Reaction Score
I think you and @8893 that after acquired evidence doesn't come in for determining just cause at the time. I don't know what latitude the arbitrator has on damages. But UConn had to fire Ollie after the NCAA ruling, as he's prohibited from coaching. That should certainly impact damages in any rational system (not that this is one).

The arbitrator has no lattitude. He must rule that Ollie gets nothing or the full amount.

Reaction Score
There are no slam dunks in binding arbitration before a single arbitrator.

I worked with a very, very good and successful labor attorney for a number of years. Whenever we were headed to arbitration on a case - I’d ask what are the odds we win - the best odds he would give me was 60-40 in our favor. It became an inside joke but years of experience proved that despite the best case - you just never know @ the end of the day.

Reaction Score
Most people out of CT don't care about this. Only die-hard college bball fans know this is happening.

Most people IN THIS STATE are only peripherally aware of this.

My SO contracts with Uconn athletics maybe 10 hours a week and is barely aware of this issue.

Every thread with an ollie title need to be locked after new info is posted.

Reaction Score
UConn knew of his misdeeds and reported same to the NCAA when KO was fired.
Remember? The whole argument was the infractions weren't serious enough plus Calhoun did similar.
Now they have been judged to be serious infractions and UConn says Ollie's contract was different than JC's.
My worry is not so much UConn losing but how long will this drag out before Ollie loses.
This will prolong things but should have little impact on the findings.

"My" coach is Hurley and this mess will end without decimating UConn

pretty cocky given the grey area in all of this .... and risky

BOTH SIDES should settle. Could we be forced to pay the entire Breakup exit deal to KO ... yes. Could lots of other things happen. Could it get uglier. This isn't about saving Face. Nobody is looking good.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of misinformation about show/cause's in this thread.

For the record, a show/cause is not a suspension. It does not mandate you fire the individual. Kevin Ollie could have stayed on as UConn's coach and/or could get a coaching job under the show/cause.

It's a risk to the current/new school, but it's not a banning. Some show/causes come with restrictions, such as Bruce Pearl being unable to recruit, which would certainly make the person unfit to be a D1 head coach. It is not my understanding that Ollie's featured any poison pills like that.

Reaction Score
I really think most of the BY should stop commenting on Ollie. The anger and emotion seems unhealthy. It’s to a point now where people act as if they hate Ray too, a uconn hero and one of the best things that has ever happened to uconn and Connecticut sports in general. If Ollie were to get a small settlement and this all goes away, members here will still be mad because they want to make sure he gets nothing. I would be good with it, I just want it all to go away and I’m sure Hurley does too.

I’m also tired of hearing “he was offered a settlement already. It’s too late now!” That was a long time ago and things change in lengthy legal battles.

Don’t get why Ray is an UConn hero. He never won a NCAA championship. So he could shoot threes! Big deal! So can Rip! Khalid Kemba Shabazz etc and they all won Championships and are well liked by other players. Let’s face it Ray is weird. He is also picking the wrong guy to stick up for it should br Calhoun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like litigating his case on the yard over and over...each time with numerous changed minds and a completely different result.

I like seeing you belly-ache about this over and over. Each time you think you're nipping "this" in the bud and you keep being wrong again and again.

Reaction Score
Without all nor likely even close to all of the underlying facts, oft wonder how some people highly unlikely to fall in even the latter category make some absolute declarative statements regarding L'affaire Ollie. Presumptuously entertaining!

Reaction Score
I really think most of the BY should stop commenting on Ollie. The anger and emotion seems unhealthy. It’s to a point now where people act as if they hate Ray too, a uconn hero and one of the best things that has ever happened to uconn and Connecticut sports in general. If Ollie were to get a small settlement and this all goes away, members here will still be mad because they want to make sure he gets nothing. I would be good with it, I just want it all to go away and I’m sure Hurley does too.

I’m also tired of hearing “he was offered a settlement already. It’s too late now!” That was a long time ago and things change in lengthy legal battles.

I don't hate Ray, but I sure do wish he'd keep his pie-hole permanantly shut.

Reaction Score
Jesus this is the most overthought thread ever.

He had an arbitration hearing approved which was 1,000% going to happen from day-1. Nothing's changed other than his dirtbag attorney now having an excuse to invoice him more.

Says you.

I've been on Team "Zero dollars. Now get to steppin' Fonzie!" from day 1.

Reaction Score
With this ruling and the prospect of even more costly future legal fees, UConn should just up its offer and end this. Ollie would have to accept that he is not getting the full amount and realize anything more he might ever get would probably be offset by his own continued legal fees. Everyone needs to put this behind them and move on.

Or, hear me out on this, he gets zero dollars and gets to steppin'.

Reaction Score
The arbitrator has no lattitude. He must rule that Ollie gets nothing or the full amount.
If that is indeed the case he will get it all, but look at the scenario where he gets nothing. Does UCONN come out a winner with their former players? Bad will.

CL82

Reaction Score
There's a lot of misinformation about show/cause's in this thread.

For the record, a show/cause is not a suspension. It does not mandate you fire the individual. Kevin Ollie could have stayed on as UConn's coach and/or could get a coaching job under the show/cause.

It's a risk to the current/new school, but it's not a banning. Some show/causes come with restrictions, such as Bruce Pearl being unable to recruit, which would certainly make the person unfit to be a D1 head coach. It is not my understanding that Ollie's featured any poison pills like that.
Fair point. My understanding is that the show cause penalty means that any institution would need to show a reason why they should be allowed to hire KO during the duration of the penalty, which I believe in his case is three years. You are right that's not a ban, but it awfully close to one.

I've always been a little hazy how it applies to someone who is already hired. I guess the institution is subject to whatever listed penalties they've received and so is the individual so maybe it is moot? I'm just not clear on it. Have you read anything about it you could link?

CL82

Reaction Score
If that is indeed the case he will get it all
Again, what makes you believe that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members