Aquira DeCosta | The Boneyard

Aquira DeCosta

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For those who don't know, she tweeted something about being on a suicide watch. I believe it's her and that she attempted suicide. My heart goes out to her. Side note - if anyone ever mentions suicide, it's not a joke, even if they pretend or say it is.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here are the relevant basketball career noes

Playing against overseas pros and former college standouts (in a Semi-Pro league setting) , she averaged 24 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2.5 steals and 1.5 blocks per game as she led the Swish to a league title.

After considering offers from pro teams in Kosovo and Ireland, DeCosta signed with the Stockholm-based club Alvik Basket, which viewed her as the missing piece for a group that has lost two straight league championship games. Advisers told DeCosta it represented her best chance at a WNBA contract.

Reaction Score
Thje link on Rebkill by passes the paywall. Its a long shocking and horrowing article.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Thje link on Rebkill by passes the paywall. Its a long shocking and horrowing article.
I read the article last night and was shocked.

I wondered what happened with her at Shawnee State, and I can’t even fathom what she went through after she left. Hindsight is always 20/20 and keeping mental health in check under that kind of pressure is so tricky, but I do wonder if she would have been in a lower profile program out of high school, if she would have been better able to navigate with everything else happening around her. There’s no correct formula, but it’ll definitely make me look at those mid-major finalists for top recruits in a completely different light.

This is also a great reminder that we have no idea what players are going through off the court.

Excited to see what she does in Sweden!

Reaction Score
-----------------------------------------------I read the article last night and was shocked.

This is also a great reminder that we have no idea what players are going through off the court.

Excited to see what she does in Sweden!
People have no concept the amount of time young kids spend on developing their BB skills today. I watched DeCosta play since she was a feshman in high school. There were articles in the Sac Bee about her athletic back ground and the time she spent on developing her skill even before she entired high school. The pressure for her was obviously overwhelming since everyone had such high expectations for her. I remember that sometimes in games she would seemingly zone out and it all becomes evident now what the cause was.

I also remember some one posting on this site and others about her being a spoiled arrognt over rated player who could not relate to teammates, or handle the pressure of not being as good as advertised, as being the reason for why she left Baylor. She was actually shy and withdrawn not arrogant. Much of the issues she had at Baylor were related to transitioning from a post player to a guard position. It also did not help that suddely grad transfers were making it more difficult at her positions.

I do not remember the posters name who spent a lot of effort on various sites villifying Decosta's character, but I hope they take Argonauts post about being judgemental to heart.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom