Aquira DeCosta transferring from Baylor | The Boneyard

Aquira DeCosta transferring from Baylor

Reaction Score

Woah. Heard she had been struggling a bit in practice but that was quick. Odd time just before the season tips off.

Jordyn Oliver is having a monster fall from what I heard, curious if this is playing time related. She would not be a starter until at least next year!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That turned on a dime

1572414254670.png

So, who is the favorite for her services?

During recruiting, chose Baylor over South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville and USC.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I honestly think Texas A&M is her best option. Once their immaculate senior class clears out, she'll be next in line. Not sure if she can break into that starting lineup until her junior eligibility year though, but she should easily after Carter and crew's time is up.

Unfortunately, this is what happens at Baylor, UConn, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi State (some schools where I hear of a lot of transfers go out), so I'd eliminate South Carolina and Tennessee as part of her selections. Maybe Louisville too because they're pretty much all out of spots.

Reaction Score
Plenty of room for Aquira to reconsider South Carolina given the graduating of Kiki Herbert-Harrigan and the possibility of missing out on any of the top recruits remaining in the ‘20 class. Forward is definitely a need area for Coach Staley.

Reaction Score
She needs to go where she will be a star back close to home. Thinking Cal, Washington, or AZ would be great fits.
I'm thinking out west as well. USC is trying to get back into the bigtime. This would be a good start.

Reaction Score
Plenty of room for Aquira to reconsider South Carolina given the graduating of Kiki Herbert-Harrigan and the possibility of missing out on any of the top recruits remaining in the ‘20 class. Forward is definitely a need area for Coach Staley.

Plenty of room! There’s only 8 scholarship players next year so she should definitely reconsider SC if I were her.

Reaction Score
Wow, another monster class falls by the wayside. HSG gone as well. That leaves Smith and Egbo.

Of the 4 only Smith has any impact last year.

Reaction Score
Well she’s an undersized post player, I don’t think she would beat out Daniels for playing time at Cal.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow big news...strange time to happen too IMO. Should be a good pickup for whoever lands her. She was the top ranked Baylor recruit from their monster class. Shows how little value there is in landing a #1 class since they never stay together.

Next up itll be interesting to see if Dawn can keep together her strong 2019 class plus Henderson from 2018. Seems inevitable a couple of those kids wont last with all of the transfers in WCBB.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It's actually the PERFECT time for a player to transfer out. She will have time to make official visits and attend teams practices/games; gets to see who signs which players in the November signing period. Enrolls at new school in January 2020; eligible to play mid-December 2020. Will have 3 years of eligibility remaining, I believe

If she had waited to play in a few games this Fall, she loses one year of eligibility, I believe.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Woah. Heard she had been struggling a bit in practice but that was quick. Odd time just before the season tips off.

Jordyn Oliver is having a monster fall from what I heard, curious if this is playing time related.
Oliver is a 5'9 shooting guard. DeCosta is a 6'1 SF/PF. Doubt Oliver has an impact on DeCosta's decision.

Reaction Score
Looking at Baylor's roster, interesting how Kim regularly lowers heights from HoopGurlz:
- DeCosta 6-2 --> 6-0
- Bickle 6-1 -> 6-0
- Landrum 5-10 -> 5-8
- Ursin 5-7 -> 5-6

Regardless, I highly doubt DeCosta, who was a consensus top-5 recruit, wanted to spend as much time as she was going to on the bench for a second season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looking at Baylor's roster, interesting how Kim regularly lowers heights from HoopGurlz:
- DeCosta 6-2 --> 6-0
- Bickle 6-1 -> 6-0
- Landrum 5-10 -> 5-8
- Ursin 5-7 -> 5-6

Regardless, I highly doubt DeCosta, who was a consensus top-5 recruit, wanted to spend as much time as she was going to on the bench for a second season.

Everyone understands that everything is bigger in TX including the ruler. ;)

Reaction Score
This is big news. I posted sometime back that I doubt we ever see a TASS(K) force type class again where all players were contributing and seemed unconcerned about being the star. For better or worse players see money and fame (relatively speaking) and want to be visible in the rotation on day one. Additionally players change high schools or AAU teams constantly now and it's usually for the same reasons.

I am not crazy about the NCAA waiver actions. I don't even think I heard about a transfer waiver until a few years ago. Yes, my school has benefited from the process (AEH and Danberry) but that doesn't mean I have to like or understand it. The genie is out of the bottle now and this is likely to be the norm.

Reaction Score
That turned on a dime

View attachment 47566

So, who is the favorite for her services?

During recruiting, chose Baylor over South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisville and USC.

I don’t think she’ll have her pick of places. My understanding her not fitting at Baylor has more to do with her than anything else. Prime example of a girl made into a star too early. If you can’t have discipline, work hard, and be a good teammate then you will struggle at the top 5-10 programs. You could see this unfolding with her before she committed to Baylor. She would never have survived one season at UConn, and Geno knew that. They passed on her for a reason and now you see it unfolding.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don’t think she’ll have her pick of places. My understanding her not fitting at Baylor has more to do with her than anything else. Prime example of a girl made into a star too early. If you can’t have discipline, work hard, and be a good teammate then you will struggle at the top 5-10 programs. You could see this unfolding with her before she committed to Baylor. She would never have survived one season at UConn, and Geno knew that. They passed on her for a reason and now you see it unfolding.

Ok. I really do not have any knowledge of her individual play and how she fits in etc but I was mainly commenting on how fast it seemed based on the DeCosta retweet 'showcasing' Decosta on a promo 5 days earlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom