Aquira DeCosta transferring from Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aquira DeCosta transferring from Baylor

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don’t think she’ll have her pick of places. My understanding her not fitting at Baylor has more to do with her than anything else. Prime example of a girl made into a star too early. If you can’t have discipline, work hard, and be a good teammate then you will struggle at the top 5-10 programs. You could see this unfolding with her before she committed to Baylor. She would never have survived one season at UConn, and Geno knew that. They passed on her for a reason and now you see it unfolding.
You heard that first hand, or just internet rumblings from anonymous posters?

Not sure what is true, and what is rumor.

I believe she will have no problem finding a new school. Her official visits will be telling as to what she is looking for.

Reaction Score
She played 0 minutes in the F4.
When you have Kalani Brown and Cox. The freshman was not gonna see much especially how close those games were. Smith saw it because she was legitimately their 6th woman. And she could have played the 4 when Cox was at the 5 or the 3 with Cox and Brown. But I was speaking about her overall freshman year. Outside of Smith. She had a good one as well.

Reaction Score
You heard that first hand, or just internet rumblings from anonymous posters?

Not sure what is true, and what is rumor.

I believe she will have no problem finding a new school. Her official visits will be telling as to what she is looking for.

I have first hand information.

But she has as much raw talent as anyone so some of the top schools might be fine to take a risk on her.

As you said, her visits will let us know her options.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I honestly think Texas A&M is her best option. Once their immaculate senior class clears out, she'll be next in line. Not sure if she can break into that starting lineup until her junior eligibility year though, but she should easily after Carter and crew's time is up.

Unfortunately, this is what happens at Baylor, UConn, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi State (some schools where I hear of a lot of transfers go out), so I'd eliminate South Carolina and Tennessee as part of her selections. Maybe Louisville too because they're pretty much all out of spots.
I think she returns home to Bay Area. Cal just snagged a good recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Cal wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think she goes somewhere where she gets immediate time

Reaction Score
Egbo actually played well as well.
Egbo wasn’t even a factor against HS kids this summer in the USA U19 tournament after a year at Baylor. Another one over ranked by the gurus in HS.

Reaction Score
I thought this Team USA U19 article about DeCosta was interesting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
DeCosta and 2-3 other players did not play in Baylor's first exhibition game. Sounded like they were being disciplined for something.

She always struck me as an outstanding athlete who needs work to become a really good basketball player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Egbo wasn’t even a factor against HS kids this summer in the USA U19 tournament after a year at Baylor. Another one over ranked by the gurus in HS.

Egbo was actually excellent throughout the first five games of the U19. It was the final two in which she was a non-factor.

Reaction Score

Respectfully disagree, I think she will be really good once she gets more reps. She had significant flashes at times last year.

She averaged almost 6 points a game playing around like 10 minutes per game. She’s fine.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Egbo is raw/limited offensively, but her defense and rebounding are indications she gives maximum effort. She will continue to improve on both sides, especially scoring more points.

Reaction Score
You do know Jeff Walz was the coach right ?? A coach who Normally emphasizes guard play. You cannot overrank a post player. Half of the time their impact won't be felt until their Junior and senior year. But back to the u19. None of the post players numbers were productive compared to the guards. You basically said it as if she wasn't a year out of high school.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was kind of surprised she chose Baylor as they haven't really had a lot of elite wing players under Mulkey (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Their recent outgoing transfers have been big perimeter players (Natalie Chou and the big guards who transferred to FSU and South Carolina come to mind).

Not sure if DeCosta is considered a "tweener" in most offenses; thought she had a good 3-point shot. If not, perhaps being the next Nina Davis wasn't what she wanted.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Plenty of room for Aquira to reconsider South Carolina given the graduating of Kiki Herbert-Harrigan and the possibility of missing out on any of the top recruits remaining in the ‘20 class. Forward is definitely a need area for Coach Staley.

I think we pass on DeCosta. As a 3-4 tweener, I think Amihere, Beal and Grissett have that spot locked down for next year, and then Amihere at the 4 and Beal at the 3 the following year (21-22). As a top 5 player, can't see DeCosta willing to play behind anybody.

I agree with others who say she goes out west. SC was a finalist for DeCosta, choosing Baylor over SC possibly (I remember those were the final 2 in her 'musical chair' video) but I think that ship has sailed.

Either way, wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC get involved.. but I think transfers disrupt things. Go with the players that chose you first. In the pass when we've had transfers, specifically Gray and Davis, they were significant upgrades at the wing spots.... I'm not sure DeCosta is a significant upgrade over Beal or Amihere in the long run, so I'm loyal to the players that chose us.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think we pass on DeCosta. As a 3-4 tweener, I think Amihere, Beal and Grissett have that spot locked down for next year, and then Amihere at the 4 and Beal at the 3 the following year (21-22). As a top 5 player, can't see DeCosta willing to play behind anybody.

I agree with others who say she goes out west. SC was a finalist for DeCosta, choosing Baylor over SC possibly (I remember those were the final 2 in her 'musical chair' video) but I think that ship has sailed.

Either way, wouldn't be at all surprised to see SC get involved.. but I think transfers disrupt things. Go with the players that chose you first. In the pass when we've had transfers, specifically Gray and Davis, they were significant upgrades at the wing spots.... I'm not sure DeCosta is a significant upgrade over Beal or Amihere in the long run, so I'm loyal to the players that chose us.
At the rate players are transferring, don't assume anyone stays all four years. Plus, injuries disrupt depth charts, as well. If a coaching staff has a chance to improve their roster, they will do it.

Reaction Score
I watched DeCosta some when she got very limited minutes last year. She’s a class big perimeter player that shies away from contact/driving the ball. She loves to shoot threes.
I think she would’ve struggled to crack the rotation this year. I’m not sure Mulkey has a lot of time for a player like her. Even Landrum, their best three point shooter, can still take the ball to the basket.
Also, Smith had a breakout game in the finals and will almost certainly start this year. The rotation doesn’t really favor including DeCosta.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Decosta will be a great pickup for whoever lands her. Outstanding athlete with a nose for the ball. Raw offensively from the perimeter and undersized to be a true post but her upside is good. Baylor is a little overloaded for her to make an impact this year so she probably left to get playing time elsewhere. Not sure where she goes, but I think given another year or 2 she could be an excellent player.

People are quick to forget that Cox was a disappointment as a freshman and look at her now. Dont count out highly rated kids after 1 year of play...lots of basketball left in their careers. Speaking of 2 disappointing freshmen, I'm very curious to see how texas transfers Boothe and Patterson do in their new environments.

Reaction Score
Decosta will be a great pickup for whoever lands her. Outstanding athlete with a nose for the ball. Raw offensively from the perimeter and undersized to be a true post but her upside is good. Baylor is a little overloaded for her to make an impact this year so she probably left to get playing time elsewhere. Not sure where she goes, but I think given another year or 2 she could be an excellent player.

People are quick to forget that Cox was a disappointment as a freshman and look at her now. Dont count out highly rated kids after 1 year of play...lots of basketball left in their careers. Speaking of 2 disappointing freshmen, I'm very curious to see how texas transfers Boothe and Patterson do in their new environments.
Cox averaged 7.1 PPG and 4.1 RPG in 13.1 MPG.

DeCosta averaged 3.0 PPG and 1.9 RPG in 6.9 PPG.

Cox may not have looked like a #1 recruit her freshman year, but she was a solid post off the bench behind Cox and Mompremier. Not a disappointment.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm not understanding a lot of the comments that she wouldn't be getting a lot of playing time. It's not like Baylor has many 5'11 to 6'1 wing players on their roster, do they?

In their 2018 recruiting class of 5 signees, I thought it was all laid out with Egbo (Center), Smith (PF), DeCosta (SF), Bickle (SG), and Scott-Grayson (PG)? Perhaps some can play multiple positions.

So, who is going to play SF if DeCosta is now gone?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not understanding a lot of the comments that she wouldn't be getting a lot of playing time. It's not like Baylor has many 5'11 to 6'1 wing players on their roster, do they?

In their 2018 recruiting class of 5 signees, I thought it was all laid out with Egbo (Center), Smith (PF), DeCosta (SF), Bickle (SG), and Scott-Grayson (PG)? Perhaps some can play multiple positions.

So, who is going to play SF if DeCosta is now gone?
Richards. DeCosta is more of an undersized post, who was trying to become a 3 point shooter, Smith is the better player and likely starter from here on out.

Reaction Score
I suspect the reason DeCosta left was because of the emergence of DiDi. It was her she was stuck behind. She was never going to play the 4, rather the 3 or 2. She needed to transition to those positions and at Baylor she would not get the playing time necessary to do so. I also wonder what happened with the suspensions of the four sophs this season. Egbo, DeCosta, Smith and Bickle-- the four remaining players of that recruiting class. DeCosta might have thought that combined with losing time early last season due to injuries she could not afford to lose those games this season as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom