April's Final Four? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

April's Final Four?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is who I expect, Blake, but odd things do happen on the way to the forum.
Yes, and funny things, too...
images

Reaction Score
But they weren't ranked in the 3 December polls, which sounds like the early December poll to me. Are you saying that UConn isn't one of your three teams? Can you sahre the list and source?

Correct, UConn was not in the top 25 in the early Dec poll. But it wasnt because they were unknowns; they had been in the top 25 earlier.
They were #24 in the 1st poll, rose to #23 in week 2, then dropped out Dec 3. (& were back the following week)

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/wbasketball/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=230

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Another theory, which which partially supports ed's theory, although with a different take, is that in the 80's there was a relatively small core of teams who dominated the sport - the La Tech, ODU, Texas, Western Kentucky, Southern California, and a handful of others.

In the 1990's, wbb was increasing in popularity, schools were increasing the emphasis, and there were some new kids on the block, like Missouri State, UConn, Alabama, Purdue and others, so it took some time for the writers to identify these up-coming-schools (or flashes in the pan).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Correct, UConn was not in the top 25 in the early Dec poll. But it wasnt because they were unknowns; they had been in the top 25 earlier.
They were #24 in the 1st poll, rose to #23 in week 2, then dropped out Dec 3. (& were back the following week)

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/wbasketball/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=230

I understand, but your statement was "stats on who makes F4 relative to early Dec AP poll..." followed by a notation that 3 teams made the Final 4 after being unranked in an early Dec AP polls. Do you understand why I mentioned UConn, given that they were unranked in the earliest December Poll and made the Final Four?

How did you compile your numbers, if you did not count Connecticut? Did you mean unranked in any poll up to December?

Reaction Score
My guess:
- More parity. There was less national recruiting when the sport was smaller.
- Much less TV coverage so harder to follow teams

Reaction Score
I understand, but your statement was "stats on who makes F4 relative to early Dec AP poll..." followed by a notation that 3 teams made the Final 4 after being unranked in an early Dec AP polls. Do you understand why I mentioned UConn, given that they were unranked in the earliest December Poll and made the Final Four?

How did you compile your numbers, if you did not count Connecticut? Did you mean unranked in any poll up to December?

Yes I did count UConn; they are one of the 3. I was merely countering your argument about teams not getting ranked early because they were unknown the previous season. That was not the case here.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I can see 2 or 3 of those.

UCONN/Stanford/Baylor/?????

Honestly, if Sims doesnt come back I am not sure about Baylor! I like Duke! They are my 2nd fav WCBB team, but it seems like they choke in the elite 8. I want them to the FF but unless EWilliams is 100% they "could" get nipped by someone!

And speaking of injuries had Maryland not sustained those backcourt ACL's I think they should be in consideration.

Its still early and some teams have yet to be truly tested. So I think the other 1/2 that could make the FF are :

Kentucky: Yes, Baylor killed them but as Stallworth/Walker learn how to play together better I think they will get stronger.
Maryland: Even though they have back court issues they still have Alyssa Thomas.
Louisville: Still need them to see them play. Sunday (12/2) against Kentucky will be a good gauge for both.
Notre Dame: Long shot. I think their inside game will be their undoing at some point.
California: Could be a legit team. Wait to see them match up with the Cardinal.
Georgia: Will better be able to guage them after SEC play starts but they are doing well and have a balanced scoring.
LONG SHOT::::: (dont laugh).....Texas: I am kinda impressed with how they are doing thus far. Cant wait to see them in the Big12 play and that will be a better barometer on how they are really doing.

anyway thats my 2cents on a saturday.

Baylor without Sims is still a Final Four team but would not beat UCONN. Johnson would develop enough over the season to adequately lead the team to New Orleans and still have a good shot at beating any team other than UCONN.

Reaction Score
I agree. Cal's best opponent so far (based upon Sagarin) is ODU, which may be ahead of itself at 36, so we will find out more about Cal tomorrow as well.

Add Cal to the list of "pretenders"...the Bears are down 34-20 to Duke at the half. I am simply underwhelmed at the quality of the teams after the first four -- the disparity between UConn, Baylor, Stanford and Duke over the rest of this field is huge. I really don't see UConn or Duke losing to anyone outside of the top four teams...I could see Baylor (without Sims) or Stanford falling in a game or two, but nothing more. To me, they will end up with #1 seeds...not only are they the best teams, but it's difficult to make a claim on any legit possibilities to overtake them in the long-run.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Would anyone be the least bit surprised if the final four
included...in no particular order...Stanford/Baylor/UConn and Duke?

Barring devastating type injuries I would be somewhere between surprised and
shocked if somebody else made their way to New Orleans.

If this is true....IF....I'm not sure that this is good for our side of the game.

At this point in time I would be surprised if they werent the last 4 standing. I still think Kentucky has a shot.... .... if... Stallworth and Walker can play up to their potential. Perhaps ND......

Duke will perform very well. The addition of Jones gives them a whole new dimension that they were missing last year.

Got to see Ms Jones play in person for the first time on Sunday. Wow... Alexis is gonna be a VERY GOOD player. She is so silky smooth...... and a quiet assassin on the court.

Reaction Score
That is who I expect, Blake, but odd things do happen on the way to the forum.
From reading this thread, to get to the final four we'll need Mazel ton (lots of luck).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
At this point in time I would be surprised if they werent the last 4 standing. I still think Kentucky has a shot.... .... if... Stallworth and Walker can play up to their potential. Perhaps ND......

Got to see Ms Jones play in person for the first time on Sunday. Wow... Alexis is gonna be a VERY GOOD player. She is so silky smooth...... and a quiet assassin on the court.

I saw Jones in the all-star game in Denver. She is the real deal...good handle, strong, good shooter, good defender and can get to the rim. Duke will contend for a NC next year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I saw Jones in the all-star game in Denver. She is the real deal...good handle, strong, good shooter, good defender and can get to the rim. Duke will contend for a NC next year.

I agree, she was one of the stand-out players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom