OT: - April Vacay Recs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: April Vacay Recs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Other than the shoveling, how can the snow wear anyone down when we never leave our damn houses!

That's what wears me down. The inability to go outside for a walk. To see green grass. The isolation and desolation of it. Covid is already isolating, then we add this endless snow (it is snowing again here, another 6-8" predicted). Then more Th-Fri ahead of another possible major storm on Sunday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's what wears me down. The inability to go outside for a walk. To see green grass. The isolation and desolation of it. Covid is already isolating, then we add this endless snow (it is snowing again here, another 6-8" predicted). Then more Th-Fri ahead of another possible major storm on Sunday.
Get some snowshoes or cross-country skis.

Make sure you are getting enough vitamin D3 and, if not, take a supplement.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Where in the Caribbean? Most places have some kind of COVID restrictions. Some aren't allowing any visitors. We went to St. Lucia in early November. Worked out well, even with the restrictions.
Love St Lucia. Went there for our honeymoon

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Puerto Rico seemed like so much less trouble. No passport to deal with, same ocean. Has horse racing.

Reaction Score

In a normal week, I don't leave the house from Sunday evening to mid-day Saturday. I envy those with time to get out more. To me, the snow only changes my view.

Reaction Score
In addition living conditions are completely different in the island as everyone lives in close proximity which is going to create spread/transmission easier.

I’m not going to do the research of what island or resort but I’ve found a few that will give guests PCR tests to insure those guests can return to the US and they have resort guidelines in place where their employees are screened for symptoms before being allowed to work each day.

Also the US isn’t doing all that great anyway so going to one of the islands isn’t exactly putting you at more risk. You’re going to be spending that time outside on the beach or poolside and the chances of infection are close to zero outdoors when practicing social distancing
Yes, there are a few different things of concern. One's individual risk, the travel, the increased activity (going out to eat more) and being a party to others who increase risks serving the travel, eating etc..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In a normal week, I don't leave the house from Sunday evening to mid-day Saturday. I envy those with time to get out more. To me, the snow only changes my view.

I don't go out often either, but without the snow I can go out in the yard, tend to the bird feeders without getting soaked and walk around the neighborhood or even head over to the Southern New England Trunkline Trail for a nice walk in the woods. I can operate my grill if needed as well (now sitting in over 2 feet of snow). Early January was nice, 40 degrees and sunny.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Anyone hear about Vaccine Passports ? I read before - that after those that get vaccinated can use proof of vaccine shots to not take a COVID test when traveling. Is that true ?

Reaction Score
My wife, myself, and 6 year old desperately need to get away during April vacation. Looking for recommendations for cool getaways on the water in New England/NY/Penn. We'd go the AirBnb route. Thx for any suggestions!
Not sure if you golf, but I rented a house in Scottsdale a couple weeks ago with a pool and it was a nice change. Can go out to eat, golf, hike, ect. Took my wife and our two kids who are similar in ages to yours.

Reaction Score
Well, to bring this back... I'm an educator and am really only allowed to go to NY, NJ, or RI without having to quarantine and face the wrath of my district. Looking for a place by the water to just get away. What's cool in mid to upstate NY? Haven't really explored up there much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well, to bring this back... I'm an educator and am really only allowed to go to NY, NJ, or RI without having to quarantine and face the wrath of my district. Looking for a place by the water to just get away. What's cool in mid to upstate NY? Haven't really explored up there much.

In February? During Covid? Lots of snow. Newport seems like the winner if those are the choices.

Reaction Score
  • Beacon (Dia:Beacon is one of the best art museums in the country and perfect for Covid. Also a great little downtown. If you are willing to spend some $$$ The Roundhouse is a wonderful hotel). If you want a cheaper but totally fine hotel, stay in Fishkill, just a few minutes away.
  • Hudson (trendy, lovely main street and close to a few ski places). It's close to Getaway, which are really cool modern cabins with a firepit, etc. Pretty pricy, but if you search it and find it worth it, you can PM me and I can send you a reference code to save some $$$.
My wife and I will be fully vaccinated by the last week of February so we've tentatively booked an AirBnb near Catamount for two nights unless we decide to fly to Arizona to visit in-laws for about a week (RT flights are as low as $160 w/o any red-eyes).

Even with a full vaccination, would that still be risky for visiting parents who aren't vaccinated yet with some health issues (usually we stay in their guest room)? Seems like the evidence is inconclusive yet. If so, we'll fly to Arizona in June or July, which is the worst time to visit, but worth it since we haven't seen them since January 2020.

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Fly to Tampa and take your pick of spring training teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom