OT: - April Vacay Recs | The Boneyard

OT: April Vacay Recs

Reaction Score
My wife, myself, and 6 year old desperately need to get away during April vacation. Looking for recommendations for cool getaways on the water in New England/NY/Penn. We'd go the AirBnb route. Thx for any suggestions!

Reaction Score
If you and your wife are willing to do something in public, I might try to go somewhere that's not far from a MLB park. You could take a few hours of one day to go to a game. Maybe opening day somewhere.

I may go to Twins opening day. Sort of a celebration of doing stuff outside and in public again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
April is still going to be pretty cold in the northeast. It really depends on what you may want to do or what you enjoy, but some places that are relatively warmer on the water are Newport, Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. No idea how "open" any of them will be. Where are you coming from?

Reaction Score
I like Camden, Maine in the late-winter, early spring. Warm enough to enjoy being by the water, but cold enough where you could still snowboard. That whole area has excellent food/art scene too.

Reaction Score
I like Camden, Maine in the late-winter, early spring. Warm enough to enjoy being by the water, but cold enough where you could still snowboard. That whole area has excellent food/art scene too.
or ride their toboggan chute!!

Reaction Score
Just went out to LA for a week ($600 round trip for 2) and will prob do a week in the Caribbean next month resort/airfare for 2 is like $2200 I’m taking advantage of the low air fare and resorts desperate for vacationers

Reaction Score
Just went out to LA for a week ($600 round trip for 2) and will prob do a week in the Caribbean next month resort/airfare for 2 is like $2200 I’m taking advantage of the low air fare and resorts desperate for vacationers
Where in the Caribbean? Most places have some kind of COVID restrictions. Some aren't allowing any visitors. We went to St. Lucia in early November. Worked out well, even with the restrictions.

Reaction Score
Where in the Caribbean? Most places have some kind of COVID restrictions. Some aren't allowing any visitors. We went to St. Lucia in early November. Worked out well, even with the restrictions.
There’s a lot of islands accepting US visitors

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Warm sounds good right now. This snow is starting to wear me down.
I can take about a month of it, then I'm chomping at the bit for pitchers and catchers to report as a sign that Spring is around the corner.

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of islands accepting US visitors

Yes, there are. But read more on each island. We wanted to go to Grand Cayman but I see they are still closed, until at least May 2021. We looked into Anguilla but if you go there you have to quarantine in one place for 10 or 14 days (can't remember exactly how many days but it was more than a week) before you're allowed out. And they're not kidding around. A police officer checks on you once a day to make sure you're in your room. Some places make you wear a tracking device. All of that wasn't going to work for a 7 day vacation.

Most of the islands have some kind of restrictions. Covid tests before you get there, where you can stay and go, quarantining, etc. But most have opened up with restrictions because the majority of their economy is tourism and they couldn't just shut that down for a long time.

Not sure what the current rules are, but for example when we went to St. Lucia we had to take a Covid test before arriving and you could only stay in certain resorts. The only way you could get off the resort during your stay was with excursions that were run through your hotel. We couldn't just go out shopping or to a restaurant. It was fine since we stayed at an all-inclusive resort and we knew going in that we couldn't just take a cab to a restaurant off-site.

JetBlue has a good summary of all the restrictions at the Caribbean destinations that they fly to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably but some resorts are giving PCR tests before you leave to help US travelers return based on protocol
I thought you did. If you test negative are you required to stay there 14 days?

Reaction Score
Yes, there are. But read up more. We wanted to go to Grand Cayman but I see they are still closed. We looked into Anguilla but if you go there you have to quarantine in one place for 10 or 14 days before you're allowed out. And they're not kidding around. A police officer checks on you once a day to make sure you're in your room. Some places make you wear a tracking device. All of that wasn't going to work for a 7 day vacation.

Most of the islands have some kind of restrictions. Covid tests before you get there, where you can stay and go, quarantining, etc. But most have opened up because the majority of their economy is tourism and they couldn't just shut that down for a long time.

Not sure what the current rules are, but for example when we went to St. Lucia we had to take a Covid test before arriving and you could only stay in certain resorts. The only way you could get off the resort during your stay was with excursions that were run through your hotel. We couldn't just go out shopping or to a restaurant. It was fine since we stayed at an all-inclusive resort and we knew going in that we couldn't just take a cab to a restaurant off-site.

JetBlue has a good summary of all the restrictions at the Caribbean destinations that they fly to.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge you had to test negative before going to another country and you would have to test negative to return

obviously different countries have different restrictions Jamaica and DR are pretty lenient

I think Aruba is easy also

Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty common knowledge you had to test negative before going to another country and you would have to test negative to return

obviously different countries have different restrictions Jamaica and DR are pretty lenient

I think Aruba is easy also
The places that are pretty lenient usually have rampant COVID.

The CDC lists countries from Level 4 (highest COVID risk) to Level 1 (lowest COVID risk). Of course when we booked our trip St. Lucia it was Level 1, then when we got there it was up to Level 2, then a week or two after we left it was Level 3, then within 3 or 4 weeks after we left it was up to Level 4.

Cayman Islands are closed to outsiders. They're in Level 1.

See which countries are in each level in the below link.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The places that are pretty lenient usually have rampant COVID.

The CDC lists countries from Level 4 (highest COVID risk) to Level 1 (lowest COVID risk). Of course when we booked our trip St. Lucia it was Level 1, then when we got there it was up to Level 2, then a week or two after we left it was Level 3, then within 3 or 4 weeks after we left it was up to Level 4.

Cayman Islands are closed to outsiders. They're in Level 1.

See which countries are in each level in the below link.

That seems to be a bit of a just stats of where you can go view of things. Sounds like your family is/was careful but inevitably behavior by the masses sunk to lowest level. Countries welcoming tourists likely are desperate & making tough choices with real consequences for the people that live there.

Reaction Score
That seems to be a bit of a just stats of where you can go view of things. Sounds like your family is/was careful but inevitably behavior by the masses sunk to lowest level. Countries welcoming tourists likely are desperate & making tough choices with real consequences for the people that live there.
In addition living conditions are completely different in the island as everyone lives in close proximity which is going to create spread/transmission easier.

I’m not going to do the research of what island or resort but I’ve found a few that will give guests PCR tests to insure those guests can return to the US and they have resort guidelines in place where their employees are screened for symptoms before being allowed to work each day.

Also the US isn’t doing all that great anyway so going to one of the islands isn’t exactly putting you at more risk. You’re going to be spending that time outside on the beach or poolside and the chances of infection are close to zero outdoors when practicing social distancing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom