April 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why bang with Boston when you can pull her far away from the basket. Dorka would help others to get a more favorable driving lane. For being 6-4 she is capable of shooting at a 40% clip from three when the coaches make the 3 a priority. She is a very good rebounder as well. She is the second best talent available in the portal. Imagine the possibility of a 5-out offense with constant motion by various cutters and 4-5 3 point threats. There a bunch of scenarios where her style would be very beneficial.
Before we get too excited about a transfer from tOSU, it’s worth pointing out a few stats. This past season, Dorka shot 20% from the arc, 43% from the FT line with an A/TO ratio of 0.6. She’s no Ashten Prechtel who is 6’5”, shot 37% from the arc and was a key part of Stanford’s championship run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would LOVE to see Dorka Juhasz in a UConn uniform next year. We've never had a player like her. (She seems more like a Stanford type.)

Having that size to stretch the defense...

Reaction Score
I think Dorka's numbers are pretty impressive, but her role could be as simple as a one year filler to let Amari ease into her role. This year we used a natural PF (Aaliyah) as Liv's backup, basically in a three big rotation with Aubrey playing pretty much at PF, Liv at C, and Aaliyah splitting time between the two.

Next year I assumed Amari would fill the backup C role, competing with Piath, and that one of the two was likely to be good enough to free up Aaliyah to be the starter at PF and not have to worry about backing up Liv. I think the odds of Amari being at least a way above average backup from the beginning is very good, but Dorka has three years of experience in a power 5 conference, making her more ready to play. All could compete for minutes but if Amari needs a year to grow in the system Dorka could fill that role for one year.

Reaction Score
There's a price to be paid in thinking you need a player...and finding out you didn't. Look at Tennessee. They have a roster filled with players that they thought they needed...and now have no room for someone they actually could use. Every player that enters the portal...their fans want. Don't get there. It looks uncomfortable...and desperate. Uconn has a lot to work with already. Stay selective...while you can.

Reaction Score
Actually, we already have a player like that. This past season Liv shot 27% from the arc. Dorka shot 20%.
Have you watched Dorka? She is nothing like Liv offensively. She is very polished around the basket and has an array of moves around the rim. I think she would help us immensely. I also think Olivia could have her best year next year. Her points may go down, but she would have a chance to set an APG record for a post player at UCONN. She is a great passer from the high post, she has a shot you have to honor from out there, which would drag defenses out, and open up the lane.

We won't see nearly as much zone next year as we have since Lou left.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If you compare career stats between Dorka Juhasz, Olivia Nelson Ododa, and Aliyah Boston:
[I'm not saying Dorka is better than either of these players just using them as a benchmark.]

Juhasz – 12.7ppg (47.6% FG, 29.4% (previously had incorrectly put 40%) 3FG, 55% FT) 12 rbg, 1.5 blocks a game, .7 assists per game
ONO 9ppg (50.4% FG, 18% 3FG, 55.6% FT) 6.4 rbg, 2 blocks a game, 1.9 assists per game.
Boston – 12.9ppg (55.4% FG, 20% 3FG, 74%) 10.3 rbg, 2.8 block a game, 1.3 assists per game. (has only played two seasons)

Obviously, team playing style matters when it comes to stats, but I'm not so sure Juhasz's stats are mediocre in comparison. It can also be argued Juhasz plays in a tougher conference than ONO (and based on tournament results, tougher than Boston). Juhasz also missed a month of play this past season with COVID and had her worst 3pt shooting season.

I think Juhasz will be a good pick-up for any team.

I did have a lazy mistake here. When reading the stats I mixed up post-Season and Regular Season. She shot 40% from three for her post-season career (Big Ten Tournaments) but is a 29.4 3FG in her career in the regular season. Her FT's are always a concern. She did play in a system at tOSU that had all players shooting multiple threes a game.

Ohio State's other bigs, Patty and Mikulasikova, each averaged 2 and 1.5 3FGA's a game last season. Patty 37.8% and Mikulasikova 18% (This dropped significantly from 48% the previous season). Dorka averaged 3.5 3FGA last season.

In comparison, Olivia averaged .7 3FGA this past season, 0 in the post season. Juhasz, if she does go to UConn, isn't going to be asked to take 3's unless Geno gives her the go ahead.

This could truly all be moot at the end of the day. She also follows UCLA Wbb on Twitter. Geno and Co. aren't going to take a player they don't think would mix well or provide a solution to a need.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Have you watched Dorka? She is nothing like Liv offensively. She is very polished around the basket and has an array of moves around the rim. I think she would help us immensely. I also think Olivia could have her best year next year. Her points may go down, but she would have a chance to set an APG record for a post player at UCONN. She is a great passer from the high post, she has a shot you have to honor from out there, which would drag defenses out, and open up the lane.

We won't see nearly as much zone next year as we have since Lou left.
I don’t know how good she looks, but I do know she only shot 20% from the arc and she’s a bad FT shooter at 43%. I get the fascination with her because she’s 6’4”. If I were defending her, I’d give her the 3, just like teams give Liv the 3 at a 27% make rate, and when Dorka has the ball in the paint, I’d foul her and force her to make FT’s. IMO, Dorka is not the answer. We need to develop the players we have first and foremost.

Reaction Score
ESPN says Patterson is uncommitted. When you look under UConn they show Brady as a commit and Rice as considering. They don't list Patterson as either. Has something changed? They are not this far behind usually. Maybe they just don't want to acknowledge our success here?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Dorka's numbers are pretty impressive, but her role could be as simple as a one year filler to let Amari ease into her role. This year we used a natural PF (Aaliyah) as Liv's backup, basically in a three big rotation with Aubrey playing pretty much at PF, Liv at C, and Aaliyah splitting time between the two.

Next year I assumed Amari would fill the backup C role, competing with Piath, and that one of the two was likely to be good enough to free up Aaliyah to be the starter at PF and not have to worry about backing up Liv. I think the odds of Amari being at least a way above average backup from the beginning is very good, but Dorka has three years of experience in a power 5 conference, making her more ready to play. All could compete for minutes but if Amari needs a year to grow in the system Dorka could fill that role for one year.
What you are suggesting potentially takes minutes away from Amari and UConn’s other Bigs with a player who shoots 48/20/43. While we all want Liv to pick up her game, it should be pointed out that this past season Liv shot 56/27/59.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ESPN says Patterson is uncommitted. When you look under UConn they show Brady as a commit and Rice as considering. They don't list Patterson as either. Has something changed? They are not this far behind usually. Maybe they just don't want to acknowledge our success here?
ESPN sometimes takes awhile to update their Hoopgurlz report. You can be assured that Ayanna has every intention of honoring her verbal to UConn, although it should be pointed out that nothing is official until the NLI is signed next fall.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ESPN and ProspectsNation are usually slow on the update for some players. Nothing has changed on Patterson's end. Carleigh Wenzel committed to VATech back in February and she's still uncommitted on ESPN. PN does have Ayanna Patterson as a UConn commit. But doesn't have Lazaria Spearman as a Miami commit and she committed back in January.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how good she looks, but I do know she only shot 20% from the arc and she’s a bad FT shooter at 43%. I get the fascination with her because she’s 6’4”. If I were defending her, I’d give her the 3, just like teams give Liv the 3 at a 27% make rate, and when Dorka has the ball in the paint, I’d foul her and force her to make FT’s. IMO, Dorka is not the answer. We need to develop the players we have first and foremost.

and that's not an aberration either. She was about 53% FT in the year before although she shot a very good 40% from 3. It is a little unusual to see a European player being a very poor FT shooter, I think.

Reaction Score
What you are suggesting potentially takes minutes away from Amari and UConn’s other Bigs with a player who shoots 48/20/43. While we all want Liv to pick up her game, it should be pointed out that this past season Liv shot 56/27/59.
Gaudy numbers against substandard Big East competition (by and large).
If she hasn’t been able to peg that 8-12 ft shot by now, I’m not confident that she will in 21-22 season.
And I REALLY wish she would/could.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gaudy numbers against substandard Big East competition (by and large).
If she hasn’t been able to peg that 8-12 ft shot by now, I’m not confident that she will in 21-22 season.
And I REALLY wish she would/could.
Agreed, but the 27/59 3pt/FT % were basically uncontested shots against everyone vs Dorka’s 20/43 %, who we are comparing Liv to.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thoughts on Liv: First thought is that I hope she is able to go to a 'Big' camp this summer along with Piath.

Second: Her development thru her first three years at UConn has been significant...especially on defense/shot-blocking/shot-altering. Offense...less so. I have [maybe stubbornly] hopes to see a nice step-up on that side of the game next season.

Third: she is around 20-21...correct? When you look at the games of players...UConn or otherwise...my bet is that rarely do you find a player who has peaked at 20-21. Just generally...when we read about players in the WNBA around 26-27..do we not say that they are approaching their prime basketball years? Maybe their prime is thru early 30's? If that is true...and I think it is for basketball and almost all other sports [maybe gymnastics is an exception], would it not be perfectly reasonable to think that LIv is nowhere near her peak years...and that next season will be the next step in that improvement?

Go Liv! For that matter Piath and Amari too!

Reaction Score
Before we get too excited about a transfer from tOSU, it’s worth pointing out a few stats. This past season, Dorka shot 20% from the arc, 43% from the FT line with an A/TO ratio of 0.6. She’s no Ashten Prechtel who is 6’5”, shot 37% from the arc and was a key part of Stanford’s championship run.
You have to think though how much better she could be (really any player) under UConn’s staff. They develop players to really reach their full potential. And any player playing with a Paige Bueckers is automatically going to be better, she gets them easy shots and builds confidence for her teammates.

Reaction Score
You have to think though how much better she could be (really any player) under UConn’s staff. They develop players to really reach their full potential. And any player playing with a Paige Bueckers is automatically going to be better, she gets them easy shots and builds confidence for her teammates.

So are you saying that Liv has reached her potential after 3 years of coaching? I actually like Liv, a pretty good defender, good passer, good rebounder and for a while late last year and earlier this year her shots were on a higher arc but for some reason, she has reverted back to a more line-drive shot later in this past season. Maybe it's a little thing that can be tweaked to get Liv back to where she can be.

Reaction Score
I believe Dorka shot 40% from 3 last year on a goodly number of shots, so not a fluke. This year she collapsed down to the 20% range. A fall like that seems pretty unusual. Anyone know any reason for that, some injury? Pain in leg might affect when you jump off to shoot a 3? Just a season long slump????

Reaction Score
Actually, we already have a player like that. This past season Liv shot 27% from the arc. Dorka shot 20%.
For some reason, I thought it was higher. Since you bring up ONO, I see that Juhasz gets more rebounds, playing in a better conference. I still believe she could help.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dorka actually had covid this year and you can't really go by her sporadic playing schedule during this season. Her previous year shooting percentage is her under normal scheduling and one would expect her to probably shoot threes at closer to 40% again. The bigs only need to consistently hit from 15-17 feet to open up driving lanes for teammates, and if the other bigs can't do it, or won't improve from their, then i would think that Geno wouldn't mind having one more arrow in his quiver in certain situations. If she came on board, i bet you would see Edwards and Liv spending 5 hours daily practicing their 15-17 foot shot so as not to fall behind at that particular skill.

Reaction Score
So are you saying that Liv has reached her potential after 3 years of coaching? I actually like Liv, a pretty good defender, good passer, good rebounder and for a while late last year and earlier this year her shots were on a higher arc but for some reason, she has reverted back to a more line-drive shot later in this past season. Maybe it's a little thing that can be tweaked to get Liv back to where she can be.
Hope that is the case.

Reaction Score
Liv still has another year. Her development isn’t even done yet. Posts take much longer to mature and reach their peak. I think the staff has done as much as they can do. Liv is always going to have a tough time against bigger posts and was never going to be the star player, she’s an elite role player. Are we forgetting how far she has come?! Just because she isn’t developing the way YOU think she should be doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

And Liv aside, all the other great players that have come before her. Why do you think UConn has the most players in the WNBA? DEVELOPMENT

Reaction Score
Everybody who thinks Dorka sucks, they will all change their minds, just like magic, if GA takes her. Then it will be 'what a great player to have, great size, good movement, didn't shoot well last year but she did the year before and if GA wants her, then I better change my rhetoric on her'.

Wait for it.....

Reaction Score
I really don’t want another player I think the roster is large enough I just want live to be better maybe another year of maturity and some off-season work. Her shot needs to be adjusted maybe put a little arch on it she throws darts right now that are inconsistent as is the case with her free throws. This next statement may sound negative but it’s really not meant to be I think a good sports psychologist would help her she seems to wear her heart on her sleeve and you can see it in her body language and her face when things don’t go well. I truly believe she has the skill level to be better so maybe it’s more psychological than physical. I would love to see her come in next year with more attitude maybe be a little pissed that so many people are putting her down. She seems to be a wonderful teammate and young lady but I’d like to see a little more fight in her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom