April 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Her stats look mediocre.
If you compare career stats between Dorka Juhasz, Olivia Nelson Ododa, and Aliyah Boston:
[I'm not saying Dorka is better than either of these players just using them as a benchmark.]

Juhasz – 12.7ppg (47.6% FG, 40% 3FG, 55% FT) 12 rbg, 1.5 blocks a game, .7 assists per game
ONO 9ppg (50.4% FG, 18% 3FG, 55.6% FT) 6.4 rbg, 2 blocks a game, 1.9 assists per game.
Boston – 12.9ppg (55.4% FG, 20% 3FG, 74%) 10.3 rbg, 2.8 block a game, 1.3 assists per game. (has only played two seasons)

Obviously, team playing style matters when it comes to stats, but I'm not so sure Juhasz's stats are mediocre in comparison. It can also be argued Juhasz plays in a tougher conference than ONO (and based on tournament results, tougher than Boston). Juhasz also missed a month of play this past season with COVID and had her worst 3pt shooting season.

I think Juhasz will be a good pick-up for any team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dorka Juhasz, the 6-4 Ohio State transfer, started following UConnWBB on Instagram and Twitter. Will be interesting to see if the interest is mutual.
This gives you a look at her, scoring 23 points, and the play by play guy said she had 12 double doubles.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno is very selective on transfers and specifically based on team need. He much prefers to develop freshmen than the shortened timeline with transfers.

I don't think Uconn really 'needs' her or any other player at this point. The one advantage and the one thing he loses with Anna is maturity. And I agree that her stats are pretty good. And unlike Natalie, they were accumulated in a P5 conference.

She will help some team a lot.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You need to raise your expectation. :)

If you compare career stats between Dorka Juhasz, Olivia Nelson Ododa, and Aliyah Boston:
[I'm not saying Dorka is better than either of these players just using them as a benchmark.]

Juhasz – 12.7ppg (47.6% FG, 40% 3FG, 55% FT) 12 rbg, 1.5 blocks a game, .7 assists per game
ONO 9ppg (50.4% FG, 18% 3FG, 55.6% FT) 6.4 rbg, 2 blocks a game, 1.9 assists per game.
Boston – 12.9ppg (55.4% FG, 20% 3FG, 74%) 10.3 rbg, 2.8 block a game, 1.3 assists per game. (has only played two seasons)

Obviously, team playing style matters when it comes to stats, but I'm not so sure Juhasz's stats are mediocre in comparison. It can also be argued Juhasz plays in a tougher conference than ONO (and based on tournament results, tougher than Boston). Juhasz also missed a month of play this past season with COVID and had her worst 3pt shooting season.

I think Juhasz will be a good pick-up for any team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1617826742005.png

I'm not a stat geek but 14.6 PPG and 11.1 RPG with almost 59% shooting on 2 PT FG looks better than mediocre to me. I doubt GA will need to have her shooting 3s.
You need to raise your expectation. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Why bang with Boston when you can pull her far away from the basket. Dorka would help others to get a more favorable driving lane. For being 6-4 she is capable of shooting at a 40% clip from three when the coaches make the 3 a priority. She is a very good rebounder as well. She is the second best talent available in the portal. Imagine the possibility of a 5-out offense with constant motion by various cutters and 4-5 3 point threats. There a bunch of scenarios where her style would be very beneficial.
Can she defend Boston?

I'd love to have another big on next year's team. But for reasons of defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Can she defend Boston?

I'd love to have another big on next year's team. But for reasons of defense and rebounding.
I agree, but we also really need a big who can score against a big and possibly get her in foul trouble. Liv has not been able to score much when facing other big girls. But with Geno bringing in great shooters, that should open up things inside a bit. Who knows. I’d love another big transfer with experience, can’t hurt anything.

Reaction Score
Geno is very selective on transfers and specifically based on team need. He much prefers to develop freshmen than the shortened timeline with transfers.

I don't think Uconn really 'needs' her or any other player at this point. The one advantage and the one thing he loses with Anna is maturity. And I agree that her stats are pretty good. And unlike Natalie, they were accumulated in a P5 conference.

She will help some team a lot.
I think things will be changing now with new portal rules. I think in the future we’ll see more girls leaving and I don’t think Geno will be as hesitant to use the portal anymore. It hurts the coaches and teams as much as it can help them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think things will be changing now with new portal rules. I think in the future we’ll see more girls leaving and I don’t think Geno will be as hesitant to use the portal anymore. It hurts the coaches and teams as much as it can help them.
Yeah, I am sure he will adapt, and when he misses on recruits, he will go shopping. But for the moment he hasn't been missing on recruits and he has a large talented roster. He'll react if he has a class like 2017.

Reaction Score
UConn's likely top remaining target for 2022, KK Bransford, has defensive skills at multiple positions. None of the other known targets for '22 and '23 really stick out as perimeter defenders. Certainly a couple in the '24 class though.

I've read in more than one place that Fudd has defensive skills. Everyone correctly raves about her shooting/scoring but she herself said she takes pride in her defense and Geno has recently said that she is the most complete player he ever saw coming out of high school. She may be an inch or so shorter than Bueckers but her physique is way more college-ready than Bueckers' was last year.

Reaction Score
I've read in more than one place that Fudd has defensive skills. Everyone correctly raves about her shooting/scoring but she herself said she takes pride in her defense and Geno has recently said that she is the most complete player he ever saw coming out of high school. She may be an inch or so shorter than Bueckers but her physique is way more college-ready than Bueckers' was last year.
And before people bring up her knees, remember Gabby Williams tore her ACL in high school, but showed no sign of injury in college and went on to be named a National Defensive POY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi is a solid all-around player, defense included. She also has a good handle and court vision. She's a mentally tough, well coached player who does everything well. Those things alone would make her a highly coveted player. What sets her apart is that she could be the greatest shooter ever. The combo got her 2 NPOY awards in 10th grade.

Reaction Score
I agree, but we also really need a big who can score against a big and possibly get her in foul trouble. Liv has not been able to score much when facing other big girls. But with Geno bringing in great shooters, that should open up things inside a bit. Who knows. I’d love another big transfer with experience, can’t hurt anything.
I agree, I think that extra big is all we are missing. ONO doesn’t play well when we need her too. She plays nervous. GA knows he needs another option because AE can’t do it alone. No offense to ONO we just can’t afford to trust her in those big games anymore. She’s had enough opportunities to step up. Defensively and rebounding she can hold her own but we need scoring from her. This young lady looks aggressive like AE and that’s what we need. I’ve watched Deberry play twice and she may turn out to be a great player for us, I dont think she will contribute much right away. The ONLY thing this team is without next year is another big that it good enough to help right now. My opinion she puts us over the top. Not because she’s some all American but because it’s another option for GA when Liv isn’t playing well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Azzi is a solid all-around player, defense included. She also has a good handle and court vision. She's a mentally tough, well coached player who does everything well. Those things alone would make her a highly coveted player. What sets her apart is that she could be the greatest shooter ever. The combo got her 2 NPOY awards in 10th grade.
All true. But @MilfordHusky, people are going to need to see this kid to believe her. You and I have hyped this kid a lot (especially you), but the truth is the minute she hits the floor with Paige it'll be a new era in UConn BB. Just the idea, as I've said to you, of someone that can consistently hit that shot as the trail in transition and hit that weak side corner 3, both as KML used to do, changes UConn's offense. Along with Caroline Ducharme it will make teams less likely to press or trap on defense, make teams less likely to try to force UConn into a quarter court offense, and because of their FT shooting, less likely to put our guards on the line.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All true. But @MilfordHusky , people are going to need to see this kid to believe her. You and I have hyped this kid a lot (especially you), but the truth is the minute she hits the floor with Paige it'll be a new era in UConn BB. Just the idea, as I've said to you, of someone that can consistently hit that shot as the trail in transition and hit that weak side corner 3, both as KML used to do, changes UConn's offense. Along with Caroline Ducharme it will make teams less likely to press or trap on defense, make teams less likely to try to force UConn into a quarter court offense, and because of their FT shooting, less likely to put our guards on the line.
My friend, you saw Azzi on a bad day. I saw her in full splash mode several times. Yep, she will do what Kaleena did and more. Defenses will have to pick their poison, which could be letting Liv go one-on-one in the paint or leaving Nika/Caroline/et al. open at the arc. I saw Georgetown Visitation try to play Azzi straight up in the 2019 City Championship game, and she torched them for 38 (still the arena record). Some shooting and scoring records will go by the wayside over the next 4 years. Not only can Azzi hit shots, but also Paige can find her in her sweet spots.

Reaction Score
And before people bring up her knees, remember Gabby Williams tore her ACL in high school, but showed no sign of injury in college and went on to be named a National Defensive POY.
And because one person recovered from an injury, it does not mean another will in the same manner. I am certainly in no way commenting on anything regarding her injuries and wish the young lady an absolute complete recovery but it‘s somewhat ironic that many posters couldn’t get to their keyboards quick enough that Muhl shouldn’t start or even play because of her injury but Fudd’s should be beyond comment. I realize MUCH different circumstances with one being in-season but this idea that Bueckers, and now Fudd, should be SO GOOD as to be beyond discussion or anything resembling negativity or criticism rubs this old schooler the wrong way. Just one man’s opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree, I think that extra big is all we are missing. ONO doesn’t play well when we need her too. She plays nervous. GA knows he needs another option because AE can’t do it alone. No offense to ONO we just can’t afford to trust her in those big games anymore. She’s had enough opportunities to step up. Defensively and rebounding she can hold her own but we need scoring from her. This young lady looks aggressive like AE and that’s what we need. I’ve watched Deberry play twice and she may turn out to be a great player for us, I dont think she will contribute much right away. The ONLY thing this team is without next year is another big that it good enough to help right now. My opinion she puts us over the top. Not because she’s some all American but because it’s another option for GA when Liv isn’t playing well.
Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul