Apple Vision Pro? | The Boneyard

Apple Vision Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I read an article today that focused on how little attention this new tech launch by Apple was generating. This was supposed to be bigger than the I-Phone. But there were not lines 100’s deep to get this like there was to get the new phone. Times, especially anything related to tech, are changing so quickly it is hard to keep up.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230605_174125_Twitter.jpg

Reaction Score
I read an article today that focused on how little attention this new tech launch by Apple was generating. This was supposed to be bigger than the I-Phone. But there were not lines 100’s deep to get this like there was to get the new phone. Times, especially anything related to tech, are changing so quickly it is hard to keep up.

I can't imagine a VR headset would ever be able to generate the buzz the first iPhone generated. Hell, the iPhone generated all of that buzz because of how far they knocked it out of the park with the iPod MP3 player. The simplicity of that UI still has user design experts a-flutter.

Reaction Score
Well that’s probably because it won’t be released until 2024…lol

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Well that’s probably because it won’t be released until 2024…lol
And there will not be lines when it is available. Apple’s stock actually went down after they unveiled it at their conference today. I missed using the appropriate tense when I wrote the first post.

Reaction Score
I’m not an Apple fanboy or anything, but I honestly think this may be one of those revolutionary devices like the iPhone or Apple Watch was. Sports are moving towards streaming, and Apple is increasingly trying to get involved (Pac 12 tv partner maybe?). If they can pair these up with their sports streaming, you have a damn cool product. March Madness with 4 “screens” and with the eye tracking technology I bet it could very easily switch audio just depending on where you are looking. This could seriously disrupt the smart TV industry in a decade if they become more affordable. Especially when you’re talking about being able to experience the show or movie on a simulated 200 inch screen or whatever.

The other big thing is gaming. These aren’t going to be a game console, but with the shift towards cloud gaming, you eventually won’t need a high powered console. Could this rival Xbox and PlayStation? They’d need to be able to get the same titles and cross-play between platforms to build up a real player base, but this has a ton of potential.

It also helps that Apple always has a vision when they introduce new tech and they have unlimited pockets to fund that vision. I’m excited for this. I wont be a buyer at $3500, but the early adopters always pay more. I think they’ll really need to get to $999 if they want to reach the masses.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The price point is likely going to be a disaster until the first reviews come in. But if the first reviews come in and they say it's the greatest thing ever it'll sell in an absurd way.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Can Danny put a GoPro on his shoulder so we can watch (and listen) from his vantage point? I’d be a buyer…

Reaction Score
I’m not an Apple fanboy or anything, but I honestly think this may be one of those revolutionary devices like the iPhone or Apple Watch was. Sports are moving towards streaming, and Apple is increasingly trying to get involved (Pac 12 tv partner maybe?). If they can pair these up with their sports streaming, you have a damn cool product. March Madness with 4 “screens” and with the eye tracking technology I bet it could very easily switch audio just depending on where you are looking. This could seriously disrupt the smart TV industry in a decade if they become more affordable. Especially when you’re talking about being able to experience the show or movie on a simulated 200 inch screen or whatever.

The other big thing is gaming. These aren’t going to be a game console, but with the shift towards cloud gaming, you eventually won’t need a high powered console. Could this rival Xbox and PlayStation? They’d need to be able to get the same titles and cross-play between platforms to build up a real player base, but this has a ton of potential.

It also helps that Apple always has a vision when they introduce new tech and they have unlimited pockets to fund that vision. I’m excited for this. I wont be a buyer at $3500, but the early adopters always pay more. I think they’ll really need to get to $999 if they want to reach the masses.

I feel the same, just think we are still early. I want to watch a heavyweight championship fight ringside from my couch. I wonder how they will monetize all this crap.

Reaction Score
Apple is the best company on earth. Never forget it and never bet against them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is gen one.

They’ve basically told everyone what AR should look like and I think this will be absolutely huge….down the road. VR was dumb and basically just for gamers - AR and a wearable computer is far more intriguing.

At $3,500 right now, I think the next year will be very much Apple learning from early adopters how this thing is used and how it will work going foward.

But it’s basically an optical computer….fascinating.

Reaction Score
I feel the same, just think we are still early. I want to watch a heavyweight championship fight ringside from my couch. I wonder how they will monetize all this crap.
Definitely still early. This is basically day 0 for tech this advanced. But if theres one company who has a proven track record of creating a market for tech products, its Apple.

The sports segment is just endless possibilities. They wouldn’t spend the resources developing something like this is they didn’t have a product roadmap that is probably 15 years into the future, at least.

Reaction Score
This is gen one.

They’ve basically told everyone what AR should look like and I think this will be absolutely huge….down the road. VR was dumb and basically just for gamers - AR and a wearable computer is far more intriguing.

At $3,500 right now, I think the next year will be very much Apple learning from early adopters how this thing is used and how it will work going foward.

But it’s basically an optical computer….fascinating.
And you didn’t even mention the aspect.

Reaction Score
Nobody is going to sit and watch TV this way lol.

Best case scenario for these is telepresence functionality with AR. Be in the room with your colleagues or family/friends without leaving your couch.

Solves the biggest problems with remote work and is a compelling buy with a big network effect and vendor lock-in.

Also …

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My take, this will flop. (yeah, I know, don't bet against Apple)

3D TV was going to be the next big thing and most folks abandoned it after watching a movie or two because of the necessary glasses. I just don't see people wearing this for hours on end to watch a movie or play a game, forget doing an 8 hour work day.

And realizing it's a first gen product, $3500 and two hour battery life seems like a killer.

That being said, I can foresee getting on a plane in 8 years or so and everyone will have goggles on ;).

Reaction Score
I won't be getting one at $3500 but maybe my days of watching 1 basketball game on my laptop screen, 1 on my extra monitor, 1 on my TV, and 1 on my phone are limited...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Normally, I don't like gimmicky stuff, but I have to admit this is calling to me...

$3500, no thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
$3500, no thanks.
That would be $3500 for 1. $14,000 for a family of 4. The good news is the price will probably drop after the inevitable vision related lawsuit.

steve martins first movie GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24