Appalled | The Boneyard

Appalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

storrsbred1

Maybe this is a huge non-issue but I just watched some of the Courant's video on signing day again and I am appalled and amazed at the lack of articulation that PP possesses. To be at UConn, which is one of the highest rated public universities in the country, the face of the football team and to not be able to express himself without lots of umms, ya knows, constantly repeating himself and the like is, to me, unacceptable. Kind of a mixed message from the university; get a great education and by the way, ignore how our head football coach speaks.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter to the kids he recruits, at least as far as we know, as he just landed arguably the best football recruiting class UConn has ever had. I wonder, however, what some parents think.

Slam me if you choose, but what if he were the head of a division of your company? Would you lose respect just because of the way he expresses himself or wouldn't it matter? I guess it depends on results and for that we have another season to go (football record wise).

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a huge non-issue but I just watched some of the Courant's video on signing day again and I am appalled and amazed at the lack of articulation that PP possesses. To be at UConn, which is one of the highest rated public universities in the country, the face of the football team and to not be able to express himself without lots of umms, ya knows, constantly repeating himself and the like is, to me, unacceptable. Kind of a mixed message from the university; get a great education and by the way, ignore how our head football coach speaks.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter to the kids he recruits, at least as far as we know, as he just landed arguably the best football recruiting class UConn has ever had. I wonder, however, what some parents think.

Slam me if you choose, but what if he were the head of a division of your company? Would you lose respect just because of the way he expresses himself or wouldn't it matter? I guess it depends on results and for that we have another season to go (football record wise).

I think the problem is he "freezes" when there is a camera on him - engage him one on one or in a small group and there is a huge difference.

Non-issue for me. He's a football coach.

Reaction Score
I'll take Ws, good kids and graduation rates.

We get another season like the last two I want his ass out. I don't care if he speaks Moses.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

when u win games and ships, things like how u talk or how u walk dont matter as much. right now, they matter and i'm mad about yesterday both on this forum and at our presser.

honest question, how the heck did he walk into wardes office and spit enough game that warde gave him year 3? think about what he just did yesterday and then think about him in a pressue meeting with a million $ check over his head in balance. are u kidding me?!?!???!!??! how warde didn't laugh at him i dont know.

Reaction Score
He speaks like your average, run-of-the-mill parent. That resonates while recruiting.

Football coaches and professors are two completely different things.

Would like like him to speak like Upstater posts? I am sure that would go over well while recruiting a kid who's parents didn't graduate from high school.

(Upstater, not a dis, but I have a master's degree and have to look up at least one thing in every post you make on the CR board)

Reaction Score

Good thing you weren't the AD making a basketball coach hire in the late 80's.

Reaction Score
Mumble, mumble, mumble. ZZzzzzzzzz. The man is the anthesis of energy. "Excitment - catch some ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

Reaction Score
This really speaks to the only thing that matters is winning no?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

ppl keep saying things like this, but simply its a different time and age. beck then the internet, tv and social media isn't what it is today. the sooner ppl wake up and realize this the better. back then a michigan bball game with fans all in bright yellow didn't look great on tv. now it does. back then u couldn't tell the coach had a logo pin on his sport jacket, now u can read off that dam pin. different day and age in college sports and PERCEPTION MATTERS. we fail in that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
does Ko say "yall" a couple to many times? sure. but he tosses out great quotes like 10 toes in and escalators. hes speaks of motivation and so on. hes also winning games with "no talent". he has pics on his twitter/fb/whatever of him in blue with the husky dog in a gym. he gets it.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with the interview. He does mumble a bit and speak in short-hand sometimes, but I thought what he said was clear. I got a good handle on the parameters for the types of players they recruit, why he selected Weist and Hughes as his coordinators , what he is looking for from his coaching staff, and a sense of flexibility when it comes to offensive and defensive schemes.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with the interview. He does mumble a bit and speak in short-hand sometimes, but I thought what he said was clear. I got a good handle on the parameters for the types of players they recruit, why he selected Weist and Hughes as his coordinators , what he is looking for from his coaching staff, and a sense of flexibility when it comes to offensive and defensive schemes.

Did you like the fact that he felt he needed to state that a critical characteristic of a wide receiver prospect is his ability to catch the football? That's what He said to Kevin Nathan on TIC last night.

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic on the post, but UConn should be able to do a better of job of getting the questions asked by the reporters. Very poor setup for a press conference that was not spur-of-the-moment.

No way I could hear the questions that were asked, he didn't repeat them, and with his mumbling and repetitions, it was hard to determine what was even asked.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Did you notice he didn't have Husky Blue socks on?

That was the thing that really got me last year. He wore brown socks at the UofL game. Total disaster.

Reaction Score
Did you like the fact that he felt he needed to state that a critical characteristic of a wide receiver prospect is his ability to catch the football? That's what He said to Kevin Nathan on TIC last night.

Yes I did. It is a truism, but I see comments on receivers so often on their height and speed that I think sometimes the ability to actually catch the ball is overlooked.

Reaction Score

Not a slam but quite frankly did you ever hear Jim Calhoun speak? Just say'n...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you think about it he's amazing articulate for a zombie. Mostly they just say "arrgh! or occasionally brainssss!

Reaction Score
He speaks like your average, run-of-the-mill parent. That resonates while recruiting.

Football coaches and professors are two completely different things.

Would like like him to speak like Upstater posts? I am sure that would go over well while recruiting a kid who's parents didn't graduate from high school.

(Upstater, not a dis, but I have a master's degree and have to look up at least one thing in every post you make on the CR board)

It shouldn't be surprising given what I do all day--write emails to people related to English lit. On the other hand, my parents didn't graduate high school, nor middle school, nor elementary school!!

Reaction Score
WTF! Did you notice that small freckle on the back of the lower left leg on the hot model you slept with last night?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't have much respect for Paul Pasqualoni as UConn's head football coach for 2013. However, his diction is not a reason why. He's a football coach. He's not an Early American Lit. professor.

Reaction Score
It shouldn't be surprising given what I do all day--write emails to people related to English lit. On the other hand, my parents didn't graduate high school, nor middle school, nor elementary school!!
Don't even go there. My daddy didn't even graduate kindergarten. He had to leave school to support his 12 younger brothers and sisters after his parents fell into an open strip mine while hunting possum. And my mother, that's another story altogether. I can't go down that road, even now, so many years later . . . . .

Reaction Score

I'm still waiting for that handle on why he selected GDL, and why Foley isn't coaching the OL. I think we know why he picked Weist. The big bear told him to drop GDL, but what was he thinking bringing him here in the first place? He's lost a lot credibility with coaching selections when left to his own devices.

S

storrsbred1

It's all about total package professionalism, but the bottom line: results. So far, not great on the field.

Of course, one could carry the results thing too far, while being well shy of professional. I think some college coaches have amply demonstrated that recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom